question re: those who no longer have wisdom teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wisdom teeth still haven't come in all the way so the dentists are still observing what will happen, seems I might have a big enough mouth for them to fit :lol:.

my top 2 never came in (they didn't fit), and the bottom 2 never were going to come in because they were lying completely horizontal under my gums. they all got pulled (the bottom ones being the ones the oral surgeon had to cut into 3 pieces before they could get the damn things out through the incision sites). this was 10 years ago and it still ranks as one of the single most unpleasant experiences i've had.

i got percocet, but despite all the warnings about narcotics making a person sleepy/unable to operate machinery, shit made me wired and i vaguely remember mowing the lawn really fast. but hey, i can drink an extra large dunkin donuts coffee and take a nap. much to my mother's dismay, i was also one of those kids benadryl had paradoxical side effects on and it never knocked me out (which takes all the fun out of any otc "PM" painkillers, let me tell you).

I just met someone who had to get their fake tooth replaced with another fake tooth, which makes me slightly concerned about my own fake tooth's future prospects.

I just met someone who had to get their fake tooth replaced with another fake tooth, which makes me slightly concerned about my own fake tooth's future prospects.
how did you meet my dad?

no for real though, some people just have that happen. do you have gum problems as well or was it just the tooth?

but if it was surely Id be in pain?

this creamy type shit in and on my gum, its def not in the hole area.

the prob is, I just read that you musnt use a straw.

When I came home, I think I tackled food that night but drank through a straw, and dont think it said not to on the sheet given about taking care of it.

fuk

I just dont know, if, food in there, that has not washed out prob is causing this bacteria type smell or as you say, but ............:doh:

surely to fuk, before my tooth removal the guy woulda sent me off with antibios or something if he saw it and knew what it was?????

:(

been a week, swellin was down by Sunday really. but, well unless I experiment by prodding in round, I am not in any sort of pain at all.

is it a natural odour thing too thou, while healing.......hmmmm

I smacked my mouth on cement once and broke one of my front teeth in half. I was little kid (but the tooth was permanent) so they just did a quick fix, because I refused to get any shots in my mouth. Then, a few years later, I fell playing some game (I think it was soccer) and it knocked the replacement off, I was older at that point, and probably should've gotten a permanent replacement at that time, but I was still a pansy about getting a shot in my mouth, so they did the quick fix again. It was only supposed to last four years, but it's been about 11. I have no idea how long it's going to stay on there, but I am not looking forward to it coming out again and me finally having to get a permanent (what would that even be called? It can't be a filling because it's on my front tooth) cap?

yeah, i'd like to keep my fake tooth as much as i'd like to keep my real teeth as well. well, crown. that was friggin expensive and up there with the wisdom teeth removal as one of the most miserable things ever.

how did you meet my dad?

no for real though, some people just have that happen. do you have gum problems as well or was it just the tooth?
My father's in the same boat, too. He had an incident similar to Ashley's, though.

I was badly ill as a young child which apparently damaged the tooth. It grew in basically already dead. Some of my baby teeth were discolored from being ill as well. I don't know why that illness affected my teeth so much, but there you go.

I also have a front tooth that grew in chipped, though not bad enough to justify a replacement (yet).

In total, I believe I've had nine tooth removals.

My Dad's two front teeth are porcelain. He knocked them out when he was in 4th grade :crack:

Ok, you guys. I still have all my wisdom teeth and suddenly, starting yesterday, my left top jaw started to ache. It doesn't hurt when I poke it, only when I chew and open my mouth.

Is this the damn wisdom tooth starting to give me shit? Will I be using some sick days?

Oh, and I'm sitting here reading this with an ice pack on it.

My father's in the same boat, too. He had an incident similar to Ashley's, though.

I was badly ill as a young child which apparently damaged the tooth. It grew in basically already dead. Some of my baby teeth were discolored from being ill as well. I don't know why that illness affected my teeth so much, but there you go.

I also have a front tooth that grew in chipped, though not bad enough to justify a replacement (yet).

In total, I believe I've had nine tooth removals.
yeah, i hear you. luckily all i have is a tooth that's just slightly discoloured because of some childhood illness. i think a fever can do that? not sure.

this thread makes me so glad i've not had any major problems with my teeth. when i was young some dentist wanted to put me in braces for my bottom teeth (they were still baby teeth, wtf - besides, they're now pretty straight) and i had a ton of baby teeth pulled over the years because my permanent teeth liked to grow in but the baby teeth wouldn't budge. but no crowns or replacement teeth or anything.

my dad's had god knows how many teeth removed. he had several teeth pulled and then had to get the replacements removed too, and with all his gum and tooth problems his dentist finally suggested he just get them all removed and go with full dentures. though even now his gums are still giving him problems, but that's for another thread. what's nifty though is i seem to have inherited his gum issues, though thankfully mine shouldn't ever be as bad as his as i don't smoke and also don't eat hard candy as often as he does which made his teeth worse.

Ok, you guys. I still have all my wisdom teeth and suddenly, starting yesterday, my left top jaw started to ache. It doesn't hurt when I poke it, only when I chew and open my mouth.

Is this the damn wisdom tooth starting to give me shit? Will I be using some sick days?

Oh, and I'm sitting here reading this with an ice pack on it.
oh yikes. if you do need it to get removed it probably won't be a huge deal. i personally had no issues with my removal, i wasn't working at the time and was on school break so i didn't need to take any time off. though if i had i really would've just needed the day of and the next day (even then it was only because my jaw was kinda sore).

this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but that's how it started with me, only having pain when chewing. it would also later hurt (i assume as it started to come in more) when i'd move my mouth a certain way which i stupidly did all the time because i knew it'd hurt.

The pulling of my wisdom teeth was preceded by 2 days of massive headaches and tooth aches. Two teeth were already impacted, poking out of the gum line and shit.

Oral (hehe) surgeon stuck a rather large fucking needle into the roof of my mouth to numb my toofesus and then cranked those suckers out. Didn't need to knock me out. About half an hour later I drove home.

Pain was very low after... which meant that I had all these vic's left over... whatever to do... :shifty:

Only real issue I had was bleeding for the first two days... but the salt water rinses took care of that nicely.

I think the more pain you're in before hand, the less pain you're in after, and vice versa.

Yeah, I was in no pain before, and after I couldn't sleep much the first couple of nights because I'd keep waking up in pain once the meds wore off.

I'd still say, had I had a job at the time, however, that I could have worked had it not been for the medication.

Well, what else could it be? It came up suddenly, it's tender when I brush way back there, it stings when I chew back there. My dentist appointment is Monday afternoon, but sheesh, this is a busy time of year (when isn't it? summer.), so who knows when I'll be able to get it yanked out extracted.

Thnaks for the encouragement Khan. I have 78 sick days, but being out is a bitch.

martha, is it your jaw joint or your tooth? Because that very well could be TMJ (temporo-mandibular joint syndrome) which is characterized by pain when you chew and open your mouth wide.

I honestly don't know. I think it's my tooth, because when I eat, up in the upper left side, back where my wisdom tooth would be, it feels like a paper cut and it's quite sore. It hurts now after dinner, up in the back inside of my mouth. When I press on the outside of my face, nothing hurts.

yeah, i hear you. luckily all i have is a tooth that's just slightly discoloured because of some childhood illness. i think a fever can do that? not sure.

this thread makes me so glad i've not had any major problems with my teeth. when i was young some dentist wanted to put me in braces for my bottom teeth (they were still baby teeth, wtf - besides, they're now pretty straight) and i had a ton of baby teeth pulled over the years because my permanent teeth liked to grow in but the baby teeth wouldn't budge. but no crowns or replacement teeth or anything.

my dad's had god knows how many teeth removed. he had several teeth pulled and then had to get the replacements removed too, and with all his gum and tooth problems his dentist finally suggested he just get them all removed and go with full dentures. though even now his gums are still giving him problems, but that's for another thread. what's nifty though is i seem to have inherited his gum issues, though thankfully mine shouldn't ever be as bad as his as i don't smoke and also don't eat hard candy as often as he does which made his teeth worse.
Ah, yes, baby tooth removal. I had all my baby canines removed when I think I was 10. They didn't begin to grow in till I was 13 or 14, so I just had ridiculous gaps in my teeth for years.

martha, is it your jaw joint or your tooth? Because that very well could be TMJ (temporo-mandibular joint syndrome) which is characterized by pain when you chew and open your mouth wide.

:hyper:

A winner! Except it's not the syndrome; the muscle around the joint is inflamed. My dentist today said to treat it with warm, moist heart, lots of Advil, and soft food. It's been getting better all weekend anyway, after I tried to talk as little as possible to rest it.

He said with time and care, it'll heal up just fine. I'm so relieved it isn't the wisdom teeth. He said they're "not going anywhere" so I'm even happier. :)

Glad it's getting better!

I had pretty bad TMJ as a teenager - had to wear a splint overnight. Now I have no problems anymore, but I am very careful not to grind my teeth, I don't chew gum like I used to, etc.

I just saw this thread and I want to say that I fully regret getting my wisdom teeth removed. I only had two (the bottom ones) and they were both growing into the curve of my jawbone, so that seemed to have stopped them from getting any bigger. But, the dentist said I should have them removed when I was 18 because they "might cause problems later." Yeah, right.

My oral surgeon was a rough jerk and his nurses treated me like a pit stop. One of them even said, "Wow, that's the fastest I've ever done that!" :| So they put me out and I woke up with my mouth full of different wads of cotton and a nurse told me I had to leave now. Like, right now. I had just woke up and couldn't walk straight, but who cares? Get out.

I had a really bad taste in my mouth, which was mostly blood, and later became pus. The left side of my face swelled up and I had yellow goo oozing out of my gums. I got a prescription for some powerful antibiotics that made me puke. Then I woke up on Sunday morning and I was really hot all over. Mom panicked and called the surgeon to tell him that something was really wrong with me and that I couldn't take my pills. He didn't want to come in on Monday because that was his day off, so I was supposed to suffer with a fever and an infection inside my head until Tuesday so he could golf or whatever. I was ready to go to the emergency room, but he called back and said he changed his mind and that I should come in that morning (Sunday). So I went in and he cut my incision open again and washed it out with hydrogen peroxide, which felt real nice. He also told me to mix the pills with orange juice or chocolate syrup, which actually helped.

Moral of the story: Look up your oral surgeon first to see if he's a :censored: and don't get your wisdom teeth out unless you really need it. It's not a "rite of passage" as most people think. Just because you graduated from high school doesn't mean you have to go get your teeth taken out.

The great irony is that my "holes" have filled in with bone, so it looks like my wisdom teeth have grown back. It's just like it was before, except for the scar that I can still feel on the left side. Sometimes it still hurts in there, almost five years later, because a nerve was hit in the process.

Back
Top Bottom