question re: those who no longer have wisdom teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had all four removed. I've also had a fifth tooth removed because it grew in dying and died pretty quickly after it was in. One of my molars. And before my permanent teeth were in I had to have four baby teeth surgically removed (well before they were slated to fall out). So, in total, I've had nine removed. I also may need a tenth because one of my bottom front teeth grew in chipped and might be wearing down.

On top of all that, three years of braces couldn't straighten my teeth entirely.

I'm always impressed by anyone wanting to get all 4 removed at once. By "impressed" I mean "are you out of your freaking mind????!!!!!" :ohmy: Get'em done on a "as needs" basis, then you got one side free to chew your food with!

I had 3, got one done 20 years ago when it started causing problems, then had the 2nd done about 5 years ago. The third is just sitting there... And the valium the oral surgeon gave me before the first extraction was way cool... :hyper: Though maybe that smilie is just a tad too active, in this context...

For one thing, all four are impacted and there's no room for them, so the need to get them out before they come out of the gums is present.

And then there's health care, I'm only on my dad's until my next birthday, so I need to do this now.

I still have mine.

I've never had any teeth removed so I must still have mine, too. I don't even know what they are or why they need to be taken out. I've been to the dentist only once in my adult life but only because I chipped a tooth and a nerve was exposed. By the second day I was literally on my knees begging the universe to make the pain stop. It didn't stop. I had to have a root canal. Other than that, I've never had a cavity or anything. I still have a primary tooth, though, and that's pretty unusual. It's in the back so it doesn't show.

I wish I could give my dental insurance to you Sicy, since I never use it :angry:

I still have mine and whenever I go into the dentist's office they nag (this irritates me to no end!)at me to get all four out because they are "impacted". Um they have been this way since I was 12. I have never ever had a problem with them. I tell them no thanks.. Not gonna go thru that kinda of pain for nothing.. I mean if they have been this way for over 30 yrs and nothing has happened (no absess) why would I need them taken out? Sheesh..:huh: One of the big reasons I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST..:angry:

I've been to the dentist only once in my adult life

You never go in for cleanings or anything? I would really recommend that you do, espeically since you have insurance, because even if you aren't in any pain or anything you still could have cavities and/or you still would need them to get in and scrape the plaque and stuff out of your teeth otherwise you'd end up like me and need deep cleanings. :scream: I always took care of my teeth and didnt get a cavity until I was in my 20's and never thought anything was wrong with my teeth/gums until I decided to go in again in my early 30s. That was when they told me I needed a deep cleaning and a couple of fillings. I didnt even know I had any cavities because I wasnt in pain or anything. And after that I went in 6 months later for a 'regular' cleaning and they tried to tell me I needed another deep cleaning so I got mad and left because I didnt want to go through that pain again. Sooo now its 5 years later again and I know I have to do it. I know my gums are bad too (deep pockets or whatev) so I'm scared they're going to tell me some crazy shit. I'm just searching for a better dentist at the moment.

I have a really shallow mouth so flossing my back teeth is next to impossible even with one of those flossers with a handle I just can't get back there well or at all. Only when I get my teeth cleaned does that area get worked on. :shrug:

You never go in for cleanings or anything? I would really recommend that you do, espeically since you have insurance, because even if you aren't in any pain or anything you still could have cavities and/or you still would need them to get in and scrape the plaque and stuff out of your teeth otherwise you'd end up like me and need deep cleanings. :scream: I always took care of my teeth and didnt get a cavity until I was in my 20's and never thought anything was wrong with my teeth/gums until I decided to go in again in my early 30s. That was when they told me I needed a deep cleaning and a couple of fillings. I didnt even know I had any cavities because I wasnt in pain or anything. And after that I went in 6 months later for a 'regular' cleaning and they tried to tell me I needed another deep cleaning so I got mad and left because I didnt want to go through that pain again. Sooo now its 5 years later again and I know I have to do it. I know my gums are bad too (deep pockets or whatev) so I'm scared they're going to tell me some crazy shit. I'm just searching for a better dentist at the moment.

Sicy,
I am like you in I am very reluctant to go to the dentist cuz every other time they tell me some crazy shit I have to get done to my teeth and the CONSTANT harrassment of getting my wisdom teeth removed all at once every frickin time I go in there..One day I may go ballastic on someone.. :reject:

One of the last times I had my teeth cleaned and was harrassed it hit a nerve with me cuz I was so tired of them telling me this all the time that after I left I was driving back and started to cry cuz I was so frustrated and angry that I had to pull over the car and call my mom just to calm down.. :(

Yep I was so upset after going back 6 months for a regular cleaning and them telling me I needed a deep cleaning again. I said screw that and walked out. Then they kept trying to call me to get me to come in and I finally flipped out and told them to stop calling me and take my name off their contacts lol.

Yep I was so upset after going back 6 months for a regular cleaning and them telling me I needed a deep cleaning again. I said screw that and walked out. Then they kept trying to call me to get me to come in and I finally flipped out and told them to stop calling me and take my name off their contacts lol.

Yeah, when they tried to call me to schedule a cleaning I told them I found another dentist and to remove me as a patient..:)

Whelp, they're finally gone. Vicodin in hand, ready to just watch a few movies and try to relax. They didn't knock me out, used Novocaine. I don't think the gas was working because I was panicked the entire time. Didn't feel TOO much pain, but it wasn't pleasant.

I love going to the dentist. And no, I'm not kidding. I found out this year I get free dental - completely medicare covered, and it's one of the few places I go without any one of my ratbag kids. I can sit back and relax. It's brilliant.

... I know.
:tsk:

you guys are sick in the head.. :tsk:

:shrug: I have been seeing dentists and orthodontists since I was a child. Thanks to having horrible teeth, I had to get a lot of work done to correct them. I guess I am used to it, but yeah it has never bothered me. :)

And since I am paying for dental insurance, you better believe I am going in for a cleaning twice a year.

If anyone around has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

I can't get myself any soup or anything else until tomorrow, and I didn't have dinner. I could easily eat one of the millions of other things in the fridge, but it's all solid food. The internet is telling me that I can start eating solid food anywhere from 4 to 7 days from the surgery. It's been four, is it a good idea for me to just eat maybe a PB&J sandwich, or will this end badly?

i don't remember how long i waited until i ate solid food, but if i was told 4-7 days, i would've waited until the seven days just because i'm a paranoid fucker. not saying you have to, of course. i think it all depends on how you're feeling. any pain or anything? if not, i'd try eating solids, but something not sticky or nothing really crunchy to prevent the aforementioned stitch pulling or any sharp foods poking back there. a sandwich would be good, anything from grilled cheese to ham or whatever. :)

Stitches?? I thought they just pulled them out and put gauze in the holes? :reject: Yikes.

Can you try to eat with mostly your front teeth?

I hated the dentist because of a terrible experience I had, but my new dentist is awesome. I had a deep cleaning a few months ago and was not in any pain. Uncomfortable, but no pain. The last time I had a deep cleaning my whole mouth was sore for days. :down:

A lot of it has to do with your dentist, and how well you tolerate pain.

Well, I ended up eating the sandwich without thinking about the potential harms of the peanut butter.

1) I'm with Khan, I'm too paranoid to eat anything solid until a week is up, so I was terrified the entire time I was eating it, to the point I only ate half.

2) I couldn't actually eat a whole bite of the sandwich, my mouth wouldn't open up wide enough, so I had to pull it apart.

3) I didn't get sutures, they just used gauze on mine, which actually has me even more scared.

The whole point is, back to soup we go :lol:. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I was back to eating solids the day after I had my wisdom teeth out. Surgeon said as long as I wasn't having pain I could eat what I want. Like others have said though stay away from anything sticky or sharp until your mouth heals.

last week I got one taken out, it was a tough one to deal with, lying horizontal, and only in last 3 months was I getting discomfort, due to a hole in it.

so under slight sedation, because Im so lightweight, yer man dealt with it, by cutting into four and having to drill into the jawbone in some way and I felt him do that, the pain was the worst I have ever felt, for almost a minute, I swear to fuk, I was gripping that chair really tightly.

but yeah, prob is I still get this rotten type smell and slight stink as the gap is revealing itself now that the stiches have dissolved. annoyin!

oh wow maddie, you weren't knocked out? maybe it's because i had all four of mine removed at once, but i was out. thank god as a couple were impacted like yours.

though i was awake for my gum surgery, god was that traumatising feeling them sawing off my gums. blech.

hope you're feeling better now! as for the smell, i'd suggest really rinsing your mouth. you probably already are but maybe if you do once more per day and/or apply more force somehow, it sounds like stuff's getting lodged in there. is the pain bad? maybe you need to switch to softer food or something. it sounds like dry sockets but not really if there's no pain.

Back
Top Bottom