Old 11-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Drink around half a bottle of whiskey.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:36 AM
I had 4 wisdom theeth, and I didn't want a narcosis, and the local anesthetics did hurt the most. At first it didn't work so I got two more injections...
I can't really say when it went better cause my face felt numb a few days...lol! And I didn't eat cause I was scared of infection, but I think after a week it should go better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I'm not sure what disturbed me more - the pressure as he pulled them out or the popping and cracking noises as they broke apart
yeah I had that too, awful! ok mine didn't broke but the last one was pretty insistent, and I remember the doc. mumbling and my head was lifted every once a while, cause he didn't get it out.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:36 PM

I had all four of mine removed. I bruised up a bit and was in a lot of pain, but after a couple days, it started getting better. I found that using a heating pad helped me a lot too.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Mine were impacted and had to be cut out when I was 16. The swelling was so bad that I couldn't make the rest of my top and bottom teeth meet in order to chew/bite anything. This meant only solid foods. I couldn't even chew the noodles in my soup, I had to cut them in tiny pieces with my spoon first. Mashed potatoes came my food of choice for the following week.

I think maybe the dentist did my stitches weird though (the nurse who removed them remarked on it.) It seemed that I had a stitch on each side running through the inside of my cheek from the top to bottom gum, which probably made the swelling/discomfort worse. When I had my stitches taken out after a week, there was a huge improvement, and I was able to chew and function relatively normally once again.

As for pain, I had some kind of narcotic prescribed (vicodin?) but between barely eating and inadvertently swallowing blood, taking the pill made me really sick to my stomach/throw up, so I had to just deal with it.
If the medication you were prescribed isn't working/isn't strong enough, try calling the dentist back and telling them. Maybe they'll give you something stronger.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:36 PM
yeah, for dental surgery I have heard of Tylenol 3s, vicodin and percocets being the most common drugs being prescribed...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I had 4 taken out when I was in college, all 4 were impacted. I wasn't able to eat too well for about a week after until I had my stitches taken out. The morning after the procedure, I woke up with a blood soaked pillow - that was good times. Oh, and if anyone doesn't take the general anesthesia, you are insane. There is no way on God's green earth that anyone should be awake to watch those suckers get pulled.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
Oh, and if anyone doesn't take the general anesthesia, you are insane. There is now way on God's green earth that anyone should be awake to watch those suckers get pulled.
it seemed like a good idea at the time
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I either had 2 or 3 compacted.

Honestly, I didn't find it particularly painful, the only thing that bothered me a lot was eating. I know that I was on liquids or mushy food like scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes for at least 3-4 days because otherwise it would bleed.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
Mine were impacted and had to be cut out when I was 16. The swelling was so bad that I couldn't make the rest of my top and bottom teeth meet in order to chew/bite anything. This meant only solid foods. I couldn't even chew the noodles in my soup, I had to cut them in tiny pieces with my spoon first. Mashed potatoes came my food of choice for the following week.

I think maybe the dentist did my stitches weird though (the nurse who removed them remarked on it.) It seemed that I had a stitch on each side running through the inside of my cheek from the top to bottom gum, which probably made the swelling/discomfort worse. When I had my stitches taken out after a week, there was a huge improvement, and I was able to chew and function relatively normally once again.
i think this is the same thing as me. i can't close my teeth, but at i think i can feel something with my tongue back there that would indicate there's something preventing them from closing... not that i'm THAT swollen.

i am, though. just hopefully not that bad.

gibson girl, your story depresses me. that's horrible. even though i'm in the midst of all this, i think it's safe to say my story won't be anywhere near as bad yours.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah. It was a miserable experience that I would never wish upon anyone. Hopefully you won't feel like you're dying when you move on to solid foods. That was the fucking worst.

At least the nitrous oxide was fun. It wore off fairly quickly, but Jesus, those were the best twenty minutes of my life. Everything was great. Everything was hilarious. Although looking back on it, I guess it IS kind of disturbing that I laughed hysterically and uncontrollably when I first noticed that my shirt was covered in blood...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

ha i wasn't even on that shit when i did the same thing at midday! i saw myself in the mirror, and laughed (on the inside, not the outside... that causes pain) that i looked like an infected from 28 days/weeks later.

bloody mouth. blood everything. it was gross.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

i should mention that i didn't go on to attack anyone or spread what in all appearances looked to be the rage virus.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:36 PM
I had mine out about 12 years ago. I can't remember if I was awake or not, but I had some kind of IV sedation in the chair. No hospital. Everyone said I was crazy to do it that way but I don't really recall much of it. Some weird light floating above me and the distant and far-away sound of me saying "argh!" I don't recall much of it. The dentist said I was OK until they got to one tooth which was impacted and had a bunch of problems.

The pain was, again, something I don't recall too much of. I think the first 24 hours were hell, but then the pain subsided to bad toothache pain. I dosed myself up on panadeine forte for a few days and then had normal paracetemol until I was eating normally.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
Oh, and if anyone doesn't take the general anesthesia, you are insane. There is no way on God's green earth that anyone should be awake to watch those suckers get pulled.
I wanted to be awake but my doctor didn't agree with me. Would have been fun to watch...

I got the four of them removed this summer. Only one was impacted, the other ones were half out. Once I was awake, I was up and running