question re: those who no longer have wisdom teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had three wisdom teeth and four other teeth out a couple of years ago, and of course went under GA rather than local. Everything stopped hurting after about a week and I was able to eat solids. Apparently that was a really quick recovery time? :shrug:

Also, I used no pain medication after, cause I'm bloody awesome and all that.

you think you got it bad the doc had to go in through my anus to get to my teeth, um, see my pic here for explanation
<----------

I had mine taken out back in 96 or so, i dont remember much about it but i was on very good drugs afterwards for a week. I mixed them with booze and i was on a different planet for a week. By the way, dont mix your drugs with booze you could overdose and die. Not me, im really not human, but dont do it. Back then i also smoked a couple of days later, and its a wonder i didnt get dry socket.

Good luck to you and hang in there, you will be fine in about a week i suppose. Soup will be your friend, along with a lot of liquids. Maybe try Ensure or some protein drink.

I had mine taken out within the past year, but I think I've blocked most of it out so I can't remember exactly when it happened.

I had all 4 out at once, wide awake the entire time. My dentist doesn't use general anesthesia so he gave something for anxiety to take the night before and again in the morning, then just endless shots of Lidocaine to my cheeks, gums and the roof of my mouth. I can honesty say that was one of the most horribly painful experiences of my entire life. I probably would not have had the extractions had I known ahead of time how much the numbing part was going to hurt. And I have a high tolerance for Lidocaine so he ended up using so much, I was numb all the way back to my ears, around my nose and cheeks and had heart palpitations. But after all that, the pain of the actual extractions was minimal and I don't think I had much pain at all afterward.

I had a bad reaction to the pain meds so I got through the rest of it on Tylenol only. I think I was back to regular food within a week and never any problem with dry socket. I think I had sutures on one side because they had to cut the tooth out but I really can't remember it clearly.

I had mine out when I was 19. Like you, I only had three, and they all came out. All three were impacted, two completely in bone, the third one just under the gums. I had mine done under general anaesthetic in the hospital. The kicker? At the time I was in college taking dental assisting, and just a week prior we'd finished our oral surgery unit, so I knew in extremely detailed, graphic terms exactly what was going to happen to me. :happy: :sick: Also, the dental surgeon operating on me was the one I was doing my practicum with, so that was kind of weird, too. Anyway, the aftermath wasn't that bad. Swelling and bruising was okay (I'd heard of much worse), and as for pain, he wrote me a script for Tylenol 3's, I took two when I got home, and didn't really need them after that, the surgical pain was quite tolerable.

The following days were a bit worse. I felt like complete shit and really out of it from the anaesthetic for the rest of the week. After several days when I was attempting to eat something beyond very soft foods, biting/chewing was awful. It was like an electrical shock was going through my back teeth any time I tried to bite. If I remember correctly, that sensation lasted weeks, and I had to go back to him a few times because my bite just felt off, like it didn't fit together anymore. As far as the surgery went though, the area healed very well and very quickly.

The degree of pain and discomfort that you feel generally has to do with the type of impaction, the direction the teeth are pointing in if impacted, whether the teeth are in bone or not, and whether it's top teeth or bottom (bottoms are generally more painful).

Good luck with everything. :up:

Eta - oh yeah, I know it's too late for you, Zoomerang, but for anyone else out there, don't rinse in the first 24 hours after surgery! You can dislodge the blot clots forming, and that's not good. After 24 hrs, rinse gently with warm salt water.

Mine started to cause extreme pain one morning, within hours no pain killers helped and it was so unbearable they took me in that day to remove them immediately. Then I had complications that night where the bleeding wouldn't stop. I had to be taken into the dentists office in the middle of the night. He met us there at like 2 AM to try to stop the bleeding. It all sucked bad. :|
But that was a long time ago, it's all good now. :D

omg,it was a two weeks before I could eat again,it was back in june,so I would wake up sweating. all I did was take medicine to make me sleep for a whole week. I also went under GA,and I was out of it for hours.
I`m glad thats over...

I had six teeth removed when I was young because they couldn't come out due to lack of space. Two had to be cut out from the palate. I remember it hurting a lot afterwards and I could feel the scars with my tongue for years.

I have three wisdom teeth, they haven't caused me any troubles so far. The forth is still to come, it's pushing from time to time and we have to watch it. A couple of weeks ago I was in some pain for a couple of days and it was bleeding a bit, but it went away again.

:yikes: I'm not liking this thread at all.

At the moment, I have a bad ache in my jaw. Not the gums, but the lip side is hurting, tho the place where they connect hurts most. it's at my bottom left frontish. Now I just heard this can be caused by your wisdom teeth.
I have three, but they haven't shown themselves yet. Only seen them on pics at the dentist's.

:yikes: After all these stories I do not want my wisdom teeth pulled! Our dentists is a sadistic butcher.

mine were pulled today. was put under for it.
LOTS AND LOTS OF PAIN. i can't even sleep.
they gave me lame drugs. ibuprofen 400 mg.

how long did it take for you to feel better, by chance? a day till you noticed an improvement?
when could you eat again?
and when did you feel almost normal?

i only had three wisdom teeth, but as of this morning they're all gone.

thanks for your answers.

It took me about 3-4 days to be fully up-and-running physically, but I still had mouth pain about 2 days afterward. Chewier food came about a day or so after that.

i actually saved my wisdome teeth in a jar, after reading through all of these whore-or stories im thinking about having mine put back in.

I almost forgot, one other complication from when i had them removed was i stayed the night in the hospital and was hooked up to an IV. Well the nurse didn't change the IV in time and it ran empty, and then my blood started to running back into the bag and filled it up. Eventually the bag got so full it burst and there was blood everywhere, this woke me up and i frantically kept pressing the nurse button and yelling as blood was shooting out the IV tube!

:yikes: I'm not liking this thread at all.

At the moment, I have a bad ache in my jaw. Not the gums, but the lip side is hurting, tho the place where they connect hurts most. it's at my bottom left frontish. Now I just heard this can be caused by your wisdom teeth.
I have three, but they haven't shown themselves yet. Only seen them on pics at the dentist's.

:yikes: After all these stories I do not want my wisdom teeth pulled! Our dentists is a sadistic butcher.
:hug: don't feel bad gg2, it's not as bad as some are saying. i mean, some have great experiences, some have horrible ones. luckily for me i had about the best experience ever. my doctor was hot (because that's all that really matters, right?) and even though i had an impacted tooth and another that was starting to impact. the other two were removed for shits and giggles (mostly because he said they'd cause problems later, and who was i to argue?). i had them removed like right after christmas, at least i had fun times to go out on, that being my last time to eat solid foods and such.

the only pain i had was in my jaw. and it wasn't so much pain as soreness. but i had the good shit so maybe there would've been pain had i not been taking the pills. bleeding, i had none. that evening i took out the packing gauze and didn't even need to change it. the swelling was normal, what you'd expect to happen after getting teeth pulled. i was on a liquid diet for a while, but nothing's wrong with ice cream and jell-o. i got awfully sick of it though.

plus, i tend to be good about following doctor's orders so i didn't get dry sockets or anything. it sucked having to drink from a cup though (straw drinker for life!). it was so worth getting it done though, my mouth hurt so much at the gums where the teeth were coming in. i kept telling myself any discomfort or pain i felt was worth it because after i healed, it was over. then a couple years later i had to get gum surgery :giggle:

I had all 4 of mine taken out 5 years ago. I was also put under, but they gave me Percocets and Penicillian. I couldn't chew food for like 4 days because if something got stuck in the back of my mouth, I could get an infection. I was back to normal about a week later.

I still have all of mine too.

And it seems I shall be keeping them barring any issues.

And they'd better not give me any issues. :angry:

same here..

no plans for removal even though everytime I go to the dentist they keep on insisting that I have them out.. I'm like, well they don't bother me why should I? Then I tell them to fuck off..:D

j/k (only in my mind i tell them this or at least I have the fuck off look on my face)

I had no choice. The oral surgeon told me that I had to have all four removed. They were impacted.

mine are impacted too but they aren't bothering me and never have. I was told that I needed all four removed but you know it's ultimately my choice if I want them taken out or not.

Zoomerang hasn't been around in a while. I guess maybe he DID contract the rage virus, but didn't realise because he thought it was just part of the whole wisdom teeth ordeal. He's probably out there maiming people right now.

I only had the top two. Got em removed. Was awake for it. Bleeding stopped within 4 hours. Pain stopped within 24 hours. :cute:

Zoomerang hasn't been around in a while. I guess maybe he DID contract the rage virus, but didn't realise because he thought it was just part of the whole wisdom teeth ordeal. He's probably out there maiming people right now.

i'm still bleeding a little bit as of... an hour or two ago. it's been a hellish experience.
however, was back at the dentist yesterday and he said everything looked fine and even though i see blood in my spit it's not really bleeding... just very small traces which make it look worse than it really is. so i take some heart from that.

but yes, i've got the rage virus and i've been busy infecting everyone in sight... from my bed.

wow.

i could just have easily been talking about VD's there.

cool beans.

My jaw ache is gone! :yippie: I won't have to go to the dentist!

well, i'm happy for you... seriously. but, if it really was your wisdom teeth, don't worry... you'll be hearing from them again in due time.

not trying to be negative, but i felt the same way in february. they hurt like crazy, then suddenly stopped... then it came back, and started causing troubles.

i'm still bleeding a little bit as of... an hour or two ago. it's been a hellish experience.
however, was back at the dentist yesterday and he said everything looked fine and even though i see blood in my spit it's not really bleeding... just very small traces which make it look worse than it really is. so i take some heart from that.

but yes, i've got the rage virus and i've been busy infecting everyone in sight... from my bed.

wow.

i could just have easily been talking about VD's there.

cool beans.

Holy shit, you've had it rough. then. Hope you're feeling better soon. You should be.

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 19 and it was not a bad experience. I had pain meds but took them only a couple days. I mostly slept and ate soft foods like yogurt, baby food, applesauce, pudding, jello etc for several days. The swelling was the worst I think, I looked like a chipmunk!

I just had 2 teeth extracted at the dentist's office a few weeks ago and it was not a bad experience at all. The pain the 2 broken teeth gave me prior to the antibiotics and the extraction was the worst of it. I only took two Ibuprofen800's and ate soft foods for about a week, no swelling.

Some people live forever with their wisdom teeth. I don't get why we have them and why some of us have to have them removed and others don't. :shrug:

well, i'm happy for you... seriously. but, if it really was your wisdom teeth, don't worry... you'll be hearing from them again in due time.

not trying to be negative, but i felt the same way in february. they hurt like crazy, then suddenly stopped... then it came back, and started causing troubles.

Yea I'm already preparing for the worst. But january I'll have to go to the dentist again anyway for checkup so I'll ask him about it.

My grandfather had wisdom teeth removed and then more grew back. Same thing happened with his tonsils. That's too weird and I'd not want to go thru the tonsillectomy more than once or the oral surgery for that matter! :huh:

They knocked me out completely for it. I remember getting the shot, and then the next thing I knew, he was pulling off his gloves and saying "okay, you're all done." That is wild - the first time I'd been under anesthesia.

I remember lots of cotton in my mouth and drooling a lot, but I don't recall being in excrutiating pain. I'm sure I had some pain meds, but I don't remember it being that bad.

... which maybe means that it was so horrible, I blocked it out. ;)

Yeah, that anesthesia was weird. I also remember getting the shot, a bad taste in my mouth . . . the next thing I know, I was waking up in the recovery room. My sister said she saw me walking (with some assistance) back there, but I don't remember it.

I didn't really have much pain either, just being surprised that it didn't stop bleeding until much later, even with the gauze and the stitches. So it was more gross than painful.

Getting mine out this summer was one of the worst things I've experienced. Pain for a solid week. Bleeding for a good 4 days. Liquid diet for 5 days. Plus, I missed a week of work in an already sorry summer financially. Bleh.

Back
Top Bottom