Question for all of you foreigners - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,097
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Question for all of you foreigners

Do you celebrate the New Year or do you consider it an American Holiday like Thanksgiving and Christmas? If you do celebrate it, do you go by the Easter, Central, Mountain or Pacific time zone?
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,605
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Since when is it an American holiday? New Year's has been celebrated in Europe and Asia WAY before America was even discovered. Where do you think Fireworks originate from? From China, to scare away the evil spirits on new year's.

And Christmas isn't American either. It's a Christian holiday, though the Tree is a European thing from the Germanics who used those to keep the spirits happy and get a little light in.

And for whoever celebrates it, I assume they all celebrate in their own timezone. I know I do.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 13,751
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Since when is it an American holiday? New Year's has been celebrated in Europe and Asia WAY before America was even discovered. Where do you think Fireworks originate from? From China, to scare away the evil spirits on new year's.

And Christmas isn't American either. It's a Christian holiday, though the Tree is a European thing from the Germanics who used those to keep the spirits happy and get a little light in.

And for whoever celebrates it, I assume they all celebrate in their own timezone. I know I do.
Don't you know that George Washington invented time?

Wait... of course you don't, foreigner.
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 61,633
Local Time: 06:21 PM
Is the Easter time zone the one they use on Easter Island?
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,097
Local Time: 10:21 PM
That's the problem with Europeans - they think they started everything. But just remember, you may have invented boats, kings and the pyramids, but you also created the nuclear bomb. Don't be so smug.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,605
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
That's the problem with Europeans - they think they started everything. But just remember, you may have invented boats, kings and the pyramids, but you also created the nuclear bomb. Don't be so smug.
Uh Europeans haven't invented pyramids. Egypt is part of Africa.

And actually the nuclear bomb was made in America. By a bunch of German physicists ofcourse, which is a good thing because I don't want to imagine what would've happened had they still been in Germany!


Always America first eh?


OH and I forgot to mention, I celebrate New Year's at GMT +1. The timezone the rest of the world uses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,097
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Africa/Europe what's the difference? Both countries are full of communists. You all hate God and Freedom.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,605
Local Time: 03:21 AM
And don't forget we hate Americans more than anything. After all, we've all the terrorists here eh?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Wait a moment.



You know that we here in Europe get the new year hear FIRST, don't you?

And you have to wait for another couple of hours.

And if you don't behave, you won't get it at all. Because we won't pass it on.
So don't be pretentious.
__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,097
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Watch it last unicorn. If it wasn't for Abraham Lincoln (an american president in the early 1900s) and his bravery in the civil war, you foreigners would still be slaves! And then we rescued again in WW1. If it weren't for us, you'd still be under the thumb of King Hitler.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,301
Local Time: 08:21 PM
i like the cut of dalton's jib.

was hoping some people would take offence to something in this thread and be as mad as a dickless dog, but maybe that's still to come.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
A vampire or a victim...
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,700
Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
i like the cut of dalton's jib.
Dirty.
__________________

Last night they loved you
Opening doors and pulling some strings, angel

VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
The Fly
 
jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newcastle Australia
Posts: 183
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Wait a moment.



You know that we here in Europe get the new year hear FIRST, don't you?

And you have to wait for another couple of hours.
Erm, its currently 9:30 on January 1st 2010 in Australia
__________________
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Shore City
Posts: 41,019
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Erm, its currently 9:30 on January 1st 2010 in Australia
only on the east coast, dude. don't forget the banana republic (and those other places in the middle everyone forgets).

plus new zealand is two hours further ahead. so yeah. snap.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,260
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Do you celebrate the New Year or do you consider it an American Holiday like Thanksgiving and Christmas? If you do celebrate it, do you go by the Easter, Central, Mountain or Pacific time zone?
no, i think it's called specific time. they mean it starts specifically at midnight.
__________________

__________________

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you only had one question...? U1 Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 63 08-01-2005 09:42 AM
answer a question, post a question charbono Lemonade Stand Archive 167 01-07-2002 05:42 AM
a question for those who go on U2's tours, a real basic U2 question, what is "nookie" diamondbruno9 Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 34 10-02-2001 10:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com