Post your scenic photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All your pics are very inspiring. I gotta plan out this year's trips already!

Some from last year's trips...

I was too lazy, so classic shot of the Grand Tetons :D
07-05-04_Tetons_089.jpg

Portland Head Light in Maine
06-10-23_Portland_Head_Light_07.jpg

Bass Harbor Light in Acadia Nat'l Park
06-10-22_Bass_Harbor_59.jpg

Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park
07-09-20_Maine_026.jpg

AngelofHarlem01 said:

That's an amazing shot Ava! It looks like a setting for a book. :)

Thanks! It's one of my favourite photos from Iceland too. But the truth is that my photos don't do justice to Iceland. It's so amazing.

Surprisingly enough Iceland's not all ice and Greenland is not all green...:wink:

anitram said:

Inukshuk!!

Yep, it's an Inukshuk. :up:

GibsonGirl's picture captures one that's much more representative of them. It's basically a stone formation designed to look like a human being. The Inuit have used them for thousands of years in the north to give direction to those in the area--usually barren places where visual references, like trees, are limited. They've also come to act as symbols of friendship and community, which is likely why people create them in non-threatening places these days...more like inspirations from the original usage. I've seen them while driving, sitting on top of cliffs, or in slightly exposed areas, like in GG's pic.

GibsonGirl said:

Great shot. :drool: The west coast is gorgeous. I've only been there once, and only in winter! :(

Winter is great, but summer is even better! If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend going to Burgeo, on the southwest coast. It's about two hours outside of Corner Brook. It's right alongside Gros Morne as my absolute favourite place in Newfoundland to visit. The key, however, is to go when the weather is nice. It's absolutely magical on a hot summer's day. Okay, make that a warm day. It is Newfoundland, after all. :wink:

My aunt took this shot, next to her cabin. I seemingly have a lot of aunts with cabins!

burgeo4si4.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics that I've taken of Burgeo. I actually haven't been there in about four years because I've been so caught up with work.

I found these two on other sites...once you leave the quaint little fishing village in my aunt's photo, and go around the corner into Sandbanks Provincial Park, you end up here:

burgeo1iu2.jpg

burgeo3kt4.jpg

Ava79 said:
I love this thread so much. You all take great pictures! Aren't we lucky to have such a beautiful planet??

These are all from Iceland, the most amazing place I've ever visited.
lkpudotko.jpg

That's simply stunning! :up: Looks like it might be an incredible place for hiking.

We certainly are lucky to have such a great planet, as you say. I had that very thought a few weeks back when I flew home for Christmas. It was a completely lousy day weather-wise when the plane finally took off in the middle of a snowstorm. For a few overly-turbulent minutes I was actually concerned that we wouldn't make it, but then we quickly soared above the clouds, in plain view of the rising sun. I remember thinking, "This place is so fragile...and Al Gore is absolutely right, we've got to take care of it!!" No better time to have an epiphany than when faced with imminent death. :wink:

angelordevil said:
Yep, it's an Inukshuk. :up:

GibsonGirl's picture captures one that's much more representative of them. It's basically a stone formation designed to look like a human being. The Inuit have used them for thousands of years in the north to give direction to those in the area--usually barren places where visual references, like trees, are limited. They've also come to act as symbols of friendship and community, which is likely why people create them in non-threatening places these days...more like inspirations from the original usage. I've seen them while driving, sitting on top of cliffs, or in slightly exposed areas, like in GG's pic.

Thank you--I don't get out to exotic places much. :D

MsPurrl said:

Thank you--I don't get out to exotic places much. :D

My first reaction to that was "We are far from exotic here!" However, the more I think about it, the more I think we just might be. Definitely a mix of extremes, which is interesting. Harsh, cold and barren, yet warm and inviting in certain moments...moments you desperately cling to when they do arrive. Maybe Canada is representative of life itself! :wink:

In case you need a marker on your exotic travels...even in downtown Toronto: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/images/inukshuk/game.html

Hamish a long haired cow in Scotland
IMG_2632.jpg

Misty moors of Scotland
IMG_2607.jpg

Ballachulish hotel window view
IMG_2550.jpg

Lakeside in Ballachulish Scotland's Highlands
IMG_2566.jpg

Last edited:
webPinnaroo-067.jpg

For whomever mentioned they'd like to see a kangaroo in real life. lol. This is the cemetery up the road from me. After the mourners have left for the day the roos come out and eat the funeral flowers. :lol: :shifty:

angelordevil said:

I found these two on other sites...once you leave the quaint little fishing village in my aunt's photo, and go around the corner into Sandbanks Provincial Park, you end up here:

burgeo1iu2.jpg

burgeo3kt4.jpg

Wow. :ohmy: Now that's somewhere I need to go. I've never seen white sand like that in Newfoundland! I mean, there are a few sandy beaches on the east coast, but nothing quite as spectacular. The sand is usually brown and littered with rocks. That first shot reminds me of home, a bit...

Thanks, we now have a new summer destination! :wink:

I've always wanted to go to Newfoundland. Alas it's cheaper for me to fly to Paris. This country is so strange.

anitram said:
I've always wanted to go to Newfoundland. Alas it's cheaper for me to fly to Paris. This country is so strange.

I know, it's absolutely crazy. Air Canada and Westjet can burn in hell. :mad: I wonder how much it would cost to travel to NF from Ontario by car?

Idun said:

Iceland :drool: I've wanted to go there for so long, I have to go there soon! :drool:

Go if you get a chance! You won't be disappointed. Looks like I'm returning there for this summer, so you're welcome to visit me :)

But my home country is gorgeous too. These are from last summer

synkkpilvi.jpg

kes017.jpg

and this is the same lake 3 weeks ago (these were taken with my mobile phone)

Kuva013.jpg

Kuva007.jpg

Ava79 said:

Go if you get a chance! You won't be disappointed. Looks like I'm returning there for this summer, so you're welcome to visit me :)

But my home country is gorgeous too.

Yeah I will. it seem to be a very beautiful country! thanks for the invitation:)
Your photos are beautiful, I especially like the first one:) I haven't been to finland yet, even though it's very close to were I live, shame on me!

Idun said:

Yeah I will. it seem to be a very beautiful country! thanks for the invitation:)
Your photos are beautiful, I especially like the first one:) I haven't been to finland yet, even though it's very close to were I live, shame on me!

Iceland is beyond beautiful, it's just...breathtaking. GO THERE! :)

Thanks for the comment on my photos. And welcome to Finland too, it won't be as exciting for you as Iceland, but I think you'd like it anyway. I've been to Sweden several times and I :heart: it!

Went to Muir Woods a couple days ago in between the rain. Unfortunately I only got about 20 minutes in before it started raining hard again... but I got some decent shots :)

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

Diemen said:
Went to Muir Woods a couple days ago in between the rain. Unfortunately I only got about 20 minutes in before it started raining hard again... but I got some decent shots :)

[photos]

Looks like something out of The Lord Of The Rings. :love:

It's beautiful at Muir Woods and so quiet and peaceful. I always came away from a visit there with a clear mind and this feeling of peace and calm. I get the same feeling when I spend time at the beach. Good, fresh air and time spent in nature can do wonders for the soul :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom