Please recommend some car insurance (USA) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:33 PM
As another former insurance agent, I'll just add that the best thing to do is narrow your search down to three or four companies, call for quotes & then compare the results. Make ABSOLUTELY certain you have the same limits, deductibles & options quoted with each company or your comparisons will be useless. And finally - this is just personal opinion - consider taking more coverage than the bare minimum that may be required by the State. It shouldn't cost you much more in premium, but in the event of a serious accident for which you're at fault, you may save yourself a lawsuit by having taken high enough limits to cover the property & injuries you'd cause. (At least in NC, if you're carrying limits lower than the actual amount of injuries/damages you cause, you can fully expect the other party (parties) to lawyer up & sue you personally for compensation. Meaning you could lose your savings, your house, etc. paying the settlement. Not worth the $25-$50 per year that increased limits would cost.)

Old 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand0lotion View Post
Are you telling me to get a package that covers me when I drive rental cars too? Doesn't renting a car come with insurance attached to that? Eep! But good advice on not going through some insurance agent. I'll just purchase straight from progressive.com or whichever company I end up going with
I think she's saying to get a coverage that includes rental on the policy. This means that if you get into an accident, your insurance will pay up to a certain amount toward a rental car for you while your car is in the shop being repaired. With some companies, your coverage follows you onto a rental. If it doesn't, you need to purchase the rental company's collision damage waiver.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist

I think she's saying to get a coverage that includes rental on the policy. This means that if you get into an accident, your insurance will pay up to a certain amount toward a rental car for you while your car is in the shop being repaired. With some companies, your coverage follows you onto a rental. If it doesn't, you need to purchase the rental company's collision damage waiver.
Yes, that's what i was saying.

I had some bullshit for several years that to this day I'm not entirely sure who my insurance was actually through (I believe it was national grange via a local agent who deals with a couple other companies, but payment when I wrote the actual check went to yet another company name), which after five years didn't matter til we had a freak storm last October and a tree fell and bit a chunk out of the front bumper. Getting the insurance to pick up the bill was a pain in the ass, and I can't even remember how many people I had to call, explain why I was calling and what happened to all over again. When I moved I figured well, liberty mutual keeps spamming my snail mail trying to get me with promises of discounts for having graduated from umass amherst. I called them cos I needed renters insurance, switched my auto over to them as well which hacked about 30% of what I'd been paying with the old insurance with the inclusion of a rental (which I did not have on my absurdly expensive previous policy from whomever). I don't know if they're any good out of simply not needing to use the insurance yet, but on paper better coverage (well, comparable plus the rental thing) for less money seems like a start.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRmGrl View Post
As another former insurance agent, I'll just add that the best thing to do is narrow your search down to three or four companies, call for quotes & then compare the results. Make ABSOLUTELY certain you have the same limits, deductibles & options quoted with each company or your comparisons will be useless. And finally - this is just personal opinion - consider taking more coverage than the bare minimum that may be required by the State. It shouldn't cost you much more in premium, but in the event of a serious accident for which you're at fault, you may save yourself a lawsuit by having taken high enough limits to cover the property & injuries you'd cause. (At least in NC, if you're carrying limits lower than the actual amount of injuries/damages you cause, you can fully expect the other party (parties) to lawyer up & sue you personally for compensation. Meaning you could lose your savings, your house, etc. paying the settlement. Not worth the $25-$50 per year that increased limits would cost.)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Yes, that's what i was saying.

I had some bullshit for several years that to this day I'm not entirely sure who my insurance was actually through (I believe it was national grange via a local agent who deals with a couple other companies, but payment when I wrote the actual check went to yet another company name), which after five years didn't matter til we had a freak storm last October and a tree fell and bit a chunk out of the front bumper. Getting the insurance to pick up the bill was a pain in the ass, and I can't even remember how many people I had to call, explain why I was calling and what happened to all over again. When I moved I figured well, liberty mutual keeps spamming my snail mail trying to get me with promises of discounts for having graduated from umass amherst. I called them cos I needed renters insurance, switched my auto over to them as well which hacked about 30% of what I'd been paying with the old insurance with the inclusion of a rental (which I did not have on my absurdly expensive previous policy from whomever). I don't know if they're any good out of simply not needing to use the insurance yet, but on paper better coverage (well, comparable plus the rental thing) for less money seems like a start.
Isn't Liberty Mutual where Phanan works? I work for one of their subsidiaries actually.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

I've had State Farm for many, many years, and have my house insured with them too. They have always treated me well, and were absolutely stellar in getting my car repaired last fall when I got T-boned by the teenager who turned in front of me.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 10:33 AM
I have USAA and I love it. Unfortunately I think that's only for military/government employee families (I have it because of my father). My fiance has AllState and she does not like it. Apparently, they upped her rates by $50/mo after an minor accident caused by an unsafe vehicle (she swerved to avoid a cat, side-swiped a mailbox, and then her airbags went off causing her to not be able to see and she lost control of the vehicle). I generally hear people happiest with Progressive. A friend of mine has Geico, but he's never had to use it so I'm not sure how great their behavior is with coverage.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Allstate here.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist

Isn't Liberty Mutual where Phanan works? I work for one of their subsidiaries actually.
I have no idea.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
War Child

Thanks again, everyone! I drive more like Bono than Larry (my driving idol) atm, so I should definitely look into getting better coverage. $50 more a year is worth the peace of mind. No way I can afford a lawsuit. I'm not like Bono, Edge or Adam

Deductibles-- the lower the better for me, right?
Limits-- the higher the better?

eep :embarrassed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRmGrl View Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Check with your employer. If it's a larger company, there might be discounts. I'm with Liberty Mutual because of the crazy corporate discount.

As a new driver, I'd recommend not bare bones coverage. The lower the deductible, the higher the rate. You just need to have a deductible you can afford, either via savings or credit card. If it isn't already required, I would also HIGHLY recommend uninsured motorist coverage.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
War Child

Thanks trojanchick, I think I get it. Lower deductible=more expensive montly/yearly insurance fee, but also= less I need to pay in case of an accident.

Great advice from everyone. I didn't realize there are so many things I need to look into besides low cost! But it's illegal to drive without insurance (that's what they keep saying in Ohio), so do I really need to worry about the other party being uninsured?

trojanchick, I see you live in friggin LA. Hats off to your driving skills then

ps: I'm in college, so no chance of corporate benefits, but great tip for others
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Great advice from everyone. I didn't realize there are so many things I need to look into besides low cost! But it's illegal to drive without insurance (that's what they keep saying in Ohio), so do I really need to worry about the other party being uninsured?
Three words: Hit and run.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
But it's illegal to drive without insurance (that's what they keep saying in Ohio), so do I really need to worry about the other party being uninsured?
Yes you do! Why, if it's illegal to drive without insurance you ask? Because in Ohio you aren't required to prove you actually have insurance to register your car, you are just required to affirm by signing a form that you have it, so many people take the chance they will never have an accident or otherwise be asked to prove it. You can get a letter from the Ohio BMV asking you to prove you had insurance on a certain date in the past. Easy to do if you actually did have insurance, but a royal pain if you didn't. I'm not sure what the penalties are (except that it does include losing your license, and the reinstate fees are typically pretty steep), but they aren't fun.

And if you get hit by someone without insurance and they do substantial damage to your car or to you, you can sue them, but chances are you won't get much (as many people who don't bother with insurance don't have much a lawsuit can take) and in any case a lawsuit will take a while to work it's way through the system. Spend a bit more and get uninsured/under-insured driver coverage.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have USAA also since my father was an officer in the military. Love it. They have the best customer service and rates. Funny when other car insurance companies try to sell me a policy, I tell them I have USAA and they just go, oh, ok... thanks for your time. They know they can't beat it. They also offer other services and from what I understand you don't have to be a military family or relation for some of the services offered. I found this on a financial blog: or you can just straight to the usaa.com website.

Who Can Join USAA?