Pets of present and from the past - Misc pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
I haven't really been on this board but the few times I have been on here I've noticed a heavy preference for cats and dogs. But what about other pets that you love and keep? What about your guinea pigs? Your parrot? Your tank of tropical fish? Do you have any unusual pets? Do you breed from your cats? Do you show your dogs? Can you remember that first pet you had and what it's name is?

I once kept crabs that I got from the beach and left them in my bucket. They didn't live very long, something to do with them being kept in a bucket in a garden for two weeks.

When I was a kid I had snakes, salamanders, frogs, turtles, guinea pigs, a bird, a hermit grab, and a hissing cockroach (not all at once, lol). In college I had a few guinea pigs, a turtle, cats, and a fish tank.

Currently I have three cats and three dogs. I compete in performance events with one of my dogs, show another and will compete in sport/performance events with him as well. He will be offered at stud if he meets my (very high!) criteria once he matures.

My first pet was a toad I called Toady.

I've never had anything but cats and dogs. My younger brother had a hamster for a while, but unless you went into his room you wouldn't know he had one. And I didn't go into his room.

When I was 7 and my little brother was born, we got a dog and a cat who both lasted fairly well into old age (although the dog went before his time, thanks to a car), and then we got two more cats and later on another dog.

Now my parents have a dog and are contemplating getting another cat, and I just have one wee, much-loved kitty in my apartment.

My first pet was a kitten that I named Fresh Excitement after a cat food commercial. When I got older I had a few hamsters at different times and a cat who passed away from old age. Have 2 small dogs now who are pretty young. No plans to ever breed them or have them in shows.

We always had cats in our house. First there was Crumpet, then Mate, then Nicky. Nicky was my favourite, biiig black and white boy.
We had canaries for a while and some budgies.. A rabbit named Rfor....R-for rabbit :wink:
Also fish and mice...

Now I've left home I have 2 kitties, Buddy Love and Pip and a budgie, Polly. I used to have fish as well. They were creatively named, orangey, browny....splodgy..

I :heart: having pets....they love you unconditionally and are always happy to see you :hug:

DSC00198.jpg

Bunny :up:

DSC00011.jpg

Pig :up:

I had "pet" shrimps for a few days. They eventually died, no matter what I did for them.

I had a dog named Theo (pronounced Tay-o), and one of my pet peeves was people who misunderstood, and called him Tail.

Before we got him, I had a pet rabbit named Sandals. He was grey with brown feet that looked like sandals. My brother's rabbit was Hosenpfeffer (sp?) - German for rabbit stew. Gotta love our strange pet names. :lol:

We also had a few chickens - Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and I can't remember the names of the other ones. They laid eggs regularly, so we didn't have to buy them from the store, which was nice.

I'd love to get a dog some day, if I have a house and a family of my own...

We started off with a Great Dane named Ben. We had a crazy guinea pig called Templeton. He was nuts. He'd escape from the hutch and run SO fast, it's amazing he never got away. We had numerous rabbits and guinea pigs for a few years, but Templeton sticks in my mind. We had an Eastern Rosella names Benson (after the Benson and Hedges cigarettes :lol: ), We had pieds, canaries, hundreds of budgies (not literally, it was just like a Hitchcock movie in the aviary though). We had a goanna which moved in with us and lived under a 44 gallon drum. I can't remember what we named him/her, but he/she was a cranky old thing. And huge. That old lizard hung around for a long time. I used to pretend it was everything from a dinosaur to a crocodile to a dragon. The 44 gallon drum was also my horse at one stage. :reject: A fat horse which didn't move much...
The cats we had were probably the funniest. Tigger was a stray who was given to us by the local deli because the pub next door said she was a pest to the patrons in the beer garden. She was wild. She'd take off to a pair of pot smokers up the road and come back stinking of pot and not be right for a day or so. She often came home dragging rotting carcasses with her, like magpies, rats, small marsupial looking things :( .. She lived to be about 18. She actually stopped coming back when she was about 17 or so, but we saw her months later and assumed she made it to about 18. We didn't know how old she was when she came home from the pub/deli, so we calculated based on how long we had her. We had Stussy, who was gay. He was madly in love with Matty, another cat of ours. Both were desexed. Matty was another story, but Stussy was this fancy looking Himalayan who my great aunt had to surrender due to moving into an old people's unit. We'd never seen a fancy cat like him before. He'd obviously never seen a ruggedly handsome tom like Matty. It was love at first sight. Matty was a tough old cat. About twice the size a cat should ever be, he attacked dogs and growled at people walking past our house. He was slightly confused about his role in life. He would sleep on my bed all night, and defend the fortress in the day. We've got a photo of him taking on and winning against a neighbour's German Shepherd. He lived to be about 18, and was only put to sleep about 4 years ago because of an illness that he was getting too frail to fight. I miss him so very much. :(

I've had two rabbits (Miffy and Thumper), two budgerigars (Skye and Tweety) and a dog (Sally).

We've also had about 60-70 goats over the past 10 years (all of which were named, but I won't list them all :wink: ). We currently only have 7 goats (6 nannies and 1 billy). :heart:

One of my dogs now is called Sally :D I really want a goat. But I don't know how the dogs would go with one.

My mum wants an anglo nubian. :lol:

One of my dogs now is called Sally :D I really want a goat. But I don't know how the dogs would go with one.

My mum wants an anglo nubian. :lol:

Goats and dogs don't go well together unless they've been together from a young age. We've learnt that the hard way. But I have seen some get along really well; really depends on the breed of the dog. :up:

Our billy goat is an anglo nubian :D

Yeah, something tells me my dogs and a goat would never work. The dogs are only just now 1 and 2, so they're young, but they're... I can just tell it wouldn't work :lol:
Have you got pics of your goats?
:cute:

Awwwwwwwww!!! Can I come and visit you?? My sister is moving up to Denman in a couple of weeks. I won't hassle you much, just play with your kids :love:

I love Goats!!!!

My first pet was a stray dog named Cookie, I was only two and picked her up and dropped her, so my mother decided to give him away :sad:

Then I had a crazy cat that we brought home in a box on the bus!

I had a tank of fish.

A poodle named FiFi.

Another cat named Missy, that's when I found out I was allergic. :sad:

A dog named Max.

A dog named Nugget.

A hamster named Ozzie. Ozzie passed away in Sept. :sad:

And now my current baby Riley. :cute:

Growing up we had dogs and a bunch of other critters (never cats - my Mom hates them).

Two turtles named Timmy and Korny.

Five zebra finches named Madonna, Pele, Elvis, Dinah and Peepo.

A bunny named Tina Turner.

And two chickens that remained nameless since my Mom flipped out when my Dad bought them for us and they were returned to a life on the farm shortly thereafter.

We always had pets growing up and I think pets are great for kids! We had tanks of fish, a parakeet named Dickie Bird (who liked to get out and fly into only my dad's dinner plate only when we had any gravy & he landed right in the pool of gravy each time like it was a birdbath) then we had a dachsund named Fritzie. When we got transfered to Huntsville Ala we got a dalmation we named Dixie and we had turtles and goldfish. Then we added cats. One of the cats had a litter of kittens we watched being born on the 4th of July and we named them Yankee, Doodle & Dandy (the 3 of 5 that survived).

When I got married we had a pup named Brandy who chewed everything so we gave her away. Later we got another dog at the pound named Lady who was so good with our son when he arrived. Just before Lady had to be put down we got 2 kittens (sisters from the same litter we named Sugar and Shadow). Then we added our present dog, JRT we named Charger who we rescued from another family 8 yrs ago. Charger was terrorizing the cats so we gave them to a friend.

When Charger's time is done with us I would get another JRT, after a grieving period, because I just love how loyal they are and how intelligent.

Hewson, your birdie is adorable!

I have a parakeet named Boo, he's the first pet I've had since moving out of my parents' house. I love him! When I was a kid, I had 2 parakeets. The first one was Friskey (I know, it's spelled wrong, we were kids) and the second was Mickey.

Here's a picture of Boo in his cage:
3202449593_6f930f518b.jpg

And here he is playing with a bell. He loves bells:
3202449599_49182b3144.jpg

:heart:

My first pet was a cat that I think my mum must've had when I was a baby. She was called Sally and one of my earliest memories are looking down form my high chair and seeing this black & white cat sipping water from a bowl. Other cats I've had are Tabby who was a small tortoishell, and Jeremy who was a ginger cat who was a stary and we took him into our student house. When we moved out of the house he was taken in by one of my housemates aunts. We've been up to see her and he's doing fine. :up:

We had a dog who was a crossbread between a dachound and an alsation who was called Toby. I've had goldfish which were half the lengh of my little finger. They must be one of the most difficult creatures to look after. You have to get the water chemical levels just right else they are prone to all these disseases. And if they're that small once they getting a bit of tail rot no matter what you give them, it doesn't make them any better. This is because they have no immune system. The thing is I checked the water and the levels were perfect acoording to the guide. Plus they had fresh water plants, a good pump, a toy log and they were in a proper tank. I know people who keep goldfish for years in cheap plastic bowls. I reckon they must have got stressed as I was taking them home from the pet shop. I don't know how the fish you win at fairgrounds survive.

My favourite pets at the moment are hamsters. The first one I had was when I was 5 and I called him Wally. At the moment I've got 3: Joy (silver & white), Frieda (white & peach) and Malcolm who we got after Al died (brown with long fur). The only drawback with them is that they only live for two years, and Joy will be two in May:sad:. I will miss that little rodent.

We have two rabbits now. One called Napoleon because he is both very small and very angry and one called Marbles (seemingly he's lost his, he is so dopey)
P1000955.jpg

(Marbello)
P1000715.jpg

(Nap)

In addition to two dogs, I have ten fish. Other pets I've had in the past besides dogs and cats are hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, frogs, newts, turtles, and a mouse.

I would love to have guinea pigs. My friend had 3 famales and they were fascinating the way they sort of communicate with each other. Although hamsters are usually mute Joy does make a kind of chuckling noize when she gets cross, particularly when I open her cage to get her out. Recently she's been making these sounds that a cross between wooshing and faint chuckling, it's as though she's snoring. Frieda has always been a loud squeaker. When I walk through the living room in the morning she always without fail squeaks once as if she's saying hello. Some people say they are boring creatures but they don't know the charm hamsters possess and even how such tiny things can have their own 'personality'.

Back
Top Bottom