Pet insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't but let me tell ya, I sure wish it was more popular and more affordable! Vet costs especially emergency charges can really add up fast! Hopefully someone will share some info here. :up:

I'm considering one for Nikon because he has a minor problem that could be indicative of something more major and someone suggested I get him on a plan before his appointment in a few weeks so that it would be covered.

If it ends up being a recurring problem that requires regular doctor's visits, the insurance will stop reimbursing you for the visits after a while. That's what happened with our dog, who's had to get a few moles removed and gets his ears flushed regularly (he's a cocker spaniel).

Yes!

Our old Collie, King, had epilepsy and developed a bunch of problems later in life due to the various meds he was on (liver damage, kidney failure, etc) so he ended up costing my parents a lot of money over the course of his life. As soon as they got Samson, my Mom paid for the most expensive pet insurance there was. I think she pays around $70/month for some sort of platinum coverage which even provides life insurance. The kicker is that Samson has NEVER been ill in 8 and a half years except the couple of times that he had a yeast infection. But one of the times it happened on a weekend and the ear was really bothering him and my Mom was very concerned so she took him to the animal emergency and that was all covered (she would never have done it without the pet insurance as it would have set her back hundreds of dollars).

I looked into it a bit at one point but I thought I remembered them telling me it really only covers regular vet trips and it doesn't cover certain conditions (probably like what my cats have with the urinary issues) but I didnt spend a long time researching. I'd imagine it would be the most beneficial for outdoor animals (like dogs).

The one I'm looking at is $27/mo, covers 80% each time up to $8000/yr, with a $200 deductible and this is the lowest/cheapest option. I'd have to sign up and wait 14 days to do the x-rays I'm ordering. It would cover the possible conditions, I'm just trying to decide what course of treatment I'd go with in each scenario, to see if the insurance is still worth it. If he has one, best case is he just needs supplements and modified exercise for several years before showing any more symptoms, and at that time I'd re-evaluate the options and quality of life (I'm not OK with dragging an animal who is 100% dependent on me through hell just to buy a few more months or year).

That's not too much money, so if you can afford it, might be worth it. Pet insurance always struck me as particularly good for accidents (dog gets hit by car, etc) because those costs are a one-time thing but astronomical.

i just saw a thing about pet insurance on tv, they suggested to get a list from the insurance company of recurring illnesses they don't cover. just fyi (and totally obvious, i'm sure).

That is why I'm looking mostly at Pet Plan, I'm told they DO cover inheritable conditions (which is pretty much everything a dog can have besides routine stuff and major accidental emergencies). It's funny though that they don't cover "pre-existing" conditions since these are all polygenic conditions, many of which a dog is born with whether or not they show it right away (like hip dysplasia for example, dogs don't just get hip dysplasia out of the blue), but I guess as long as my vet records do not indicate the dog may have had something or was already diagnosed, I'd be fine.

Well, I did not end up getting it, and so far won't be needed it. Nikon's problem is sacroilliac luxation. In plain terms, his pelvis was crushed as a puppy and now his spine is not attached normally and the pelvis is malformed. His spine is fine, he does not have hip dysplasia (femoral heads are correctly formed and fitted). His x-rays look like he was hit by a car on the right side, but likely it is an injury that happened in the birth canal or shortly after (stepped on by the mother?). He's not in any pain and has no restrictions on his activity.

:shrug:

we're getting it for our two blue and gold macaws and our kitten. I know we found a really good company, I'll have to look it up again and get the info for you, but it's worth it I think. At least for us, one of our Blue and Golds gets sick every year and her vet visits are SOOOO expensive.

A friend has Bernese Mountain Dogs, which is a breed rife with health problems, and she bought pet insurance for around $75/month for 2 dogs and she raves about how much money it has saved her.

Back
Top Bottom