Passion before Christmas, maybe Black Friday...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwr114

The Fly
Do you shop on Black Friday? Or, do you bury your head in the sand and avoid all the craziness? Why? Why not?

Black Friday is a term for the Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States, which is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season. Because Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, Black Friday occurs between the 23rd and the 29th of November. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
I am never a big fan of shopping, let alone on a day when a zillion people are out doing the same thing, but I am pretty tempted to shop online this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless this thread is to discuss the celebratory galas Paul McGuinness throws every Black Friday, wrong section.

No I do not. Not because of the crap economy or fact I have no money for such extravagance shopping, but because I think it's atrocious what it's become--the advertising, the ridiculous hours stores open, the lines, the crazed shoppers fighting over merchandise....having nothing to do with the *real* meaning of the holidays this time of year. The shopping craze has turned the holidays into a retail frenzy. It's a shame really IMO. :down:

I experienced it last year in Seattle. Oh joy! Wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't 200 pounds of pure muscles.
Gladly we went later in the day just to see what all the hype is about. But it still was awfully crowded.

I worked at a Super Target for a few weeks last year to make some extra holiday cash. They sent me home early on Black Friday. :huh:

We're not going to spend big this year so I'm definitely not going to be shopping this coming Friday. I've never really found that there's deals for things I need to buy for gifts or items I'd like to buy for myself to justify being out with all the crazy people.

I have to work on Black Friday and I work at the airport so that weekend is like having to work at the mall.

Do you know how crazy people get to save money on Christmas presents? Especially after what happened last year. 3 People Killed in Black Friday Insanity

I do, did last year and will again this Friday. I already have my mom's present picked out and got my Angel tree present today so I just need something for my dad, two sibs, sibs' gf/bf, and Phil. Last year I went to Old Navy at the mall, was out in 20 minutes, back in bed while it was still dark. I had presents for 5 people and clothes for myself. The big lines and craziness were at other stores, I did not have any trouble and walked right up to the cash register, less busy than a normal weekend. I plan to do it again b/c my family always gets each other clothes and they have such good deals. Also I wait to get new winter clothes for myself until the sale. I've never tried to get the deals on big ticket items and avoid those stores though. I'm getting my mom a little desktop computer and ordering it from Dell, no way will I set foot in any electronics store until the new year!

I won't be shopping of any sort on Black Friday. I haven't in many years. I used to have to work on Black Friday at my local mall back-in-the-day and that was always madness. :doh:

I tend to buy gifts, a little at a time. Since, I pay cash. But, I would hate getting up at three or four in the morning to go shopping. I would rather go to my favorite woods/state park as the sun rises and go hiking.

Back
Top Bottom