Mongolia Travel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kramwest1

has a
So, now that the ticket sales are over for the tour, I wanted to ask if anyone has been to Mongolia.

My wife and I and another couple are going in July for about 24 days. We'll be there for the Nadaam Festival, as well as going to the Gobi and Lake Khovsgol.

Our travel is mostly set, but our actual itinerary is fairly open. We aren't taking an official tour, so we have some flexibility.

Has anyone been to Mongolia? Any musts or suggestions? I've read a lot about the country and have plenty of things I want to do/see.

Originally, we were going to go in 2006, but schedules didn't allow it. I can't believe how much has changed and advanced since even 2006. I can't wait, but am somewhat nervous at the same time. I know with a good attitude, patience, some language knowledge and money, everything will work out great.

Mark

I haven't been, but my father has for business (in the 90s I think). I think he mentioned it's a bit like the Wild Wild West, infrastructure-wise. I'll have to ask him for details again sometime.

I haven't been, but my father has for business (in the 90s I think). I think he mentioned it's a bit like the Wild Wild West, infrastructure-wise. I'll have to ask him for details again sometime.

Cool. I figured some people here had been to Mongolia. I trust Interferencers' opinions and resources.

I guess it is a night and day difference between the capital city, UB, and the rest of the country. I've heard that they actually are building a luxury Hilton there.

It is amazing though, from what I understand a fair amount of the country has cellular service; they just skipped the hard-line telephone phase.

Someone described Mongolia as "the largest and greatest camping destination in the world" since you can camp just about anywhere there.

BTW, since you know cameras quite well, I'm considering getting the Sigma 10-20mm Super Wide Angle lens for my D40X.
There is so much open space there, it would be very useful. And, I could use it for some work stuff, too.

Mark

I guess it is a night and day difference between the capital city, UB, and the rest of the country. I've heard that they actually are building a luxury Hilton there.

I talked to my father more about it. He said he went there and to China for business twice in the mid-90s (about two weeks in each country). At the time, he stayed at the best hotel in UB. He was there during the colder months (springtime), and he said he had to wear a sweater and gloves in the hotel room due to weak heating. The hotel restaurant also served only lamb plus the same three vegetables each day. I'm sure some infrastrucure improvement has been done and economic progress made since then, as you say.

I talked to my father more about it. He said he went there and to China for business twice in the mid-90s (about two weeks in each country). At the time, he stayed at the best hotel in UB. He was there during the colder months (springtime), and he said he had to wear a sweater and gloves in the hotel room due to weak heating. The hotel restaurant also served only lamb plus the same three vegetables each day. I'm sure some infrastrucure improvement has been done and economic progress made since then, as you say.

HA! That's great!
The Lonely Planet Guide is quite specific about which places are stingy with the hot water in the room and such.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am close. From what I understand, Mongolia is pretty much meat and dairy (at least outside the capital these days). It sounds like he was lucky to have 3 vegetables back then!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I hope to get some great pictures to post eventually. This is about the only thing that could keep me from obsessing about U2 this summer.

Mark

which places are stingy with the hot water in the room
I know this is a rather commonsense point, but...when in doubt, DON'T when it comes to going ahead and taking a cold shower when there's no other kind available. While it's increasingly less common there, in India it used to be pretty typical for less expensive hotels to have either no hot water at all, or else a system where at a couple designated times of day, you could walk over to the hotel office and buy a bucket of hot water for a few rupees. So that there's often a temptation to just go, 'Oh hell, I'll go ahead and take a cold shower, how bad can it be.' Well, on a hot dusty day it can actually be pleasantly invigorating, but if it's even a little cool outside, the resulting teeth-chattering chill can leave you feeling weakened and miserable for hours, an added stress your system won't welcome at that point.

Also, while highly boring, living on bread and boiled water for a few days can work pretty well in a pinch if 'detoxing' from too much fat/dairy/meat becomes necessary. I've often wondered how many travelers' horror stories of intestinal discontents in India might be more due to too much deep-fried, ghee-drenched food than the more exotic-sounding 'tropical bug' explanation...I've never had a problem (crosses fingers), despite never having been anywhere near as cautious as they tell you to be with water.

I look forward to seeing your pictures!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom