Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #706
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
Hi Lila

My youngest daughter got it severely, and it really took us by surprise as we couldn't think of anyone in our families who ever had it. (the really bad cases) We tried everything and I mean everything. It's really hard to see your kid go from being happy and active to being introverted, and not wanting to go and do anything anymore. I'd had some people tell me about a drug called accutane and said they swore by it as it was a miracle drug, and others tell me stay away from it. After years of nothing working and the problem getting worse and we could see scarring already on her cheeks we gave in and went for it. By CA law you have to have tried 2 other more mild types of prescriptions for acne first, we did, they didn't work. And the program takes 5-6 months to complete and they must monitor under strict care of a doctor. Blood tests in the beginning and monthly urinalysis during. The patient must also answer an online test monthly too. A doctor must also first certify the acne as a severe case and they evaluate them psychologically too during treatment as the drug can cause depression however my daughter never had a single side effect. I never in a million years thought I would allow my kid to undergo something like this, but all I can say is I am SO glad we did. It is a miracle drug. Within 6 mos her skin is the most beautiful skin I have ever seen. It is china doll gorgeous and over time the scarring has also disappeared. She finished the treatment over a year ago and has not had 1 blemish since then, NONE. And it will supposedly stay this way for life. (We were told that some patients need a smaller booster course a short time later, but so far my daughter has been 100% free of any blemishes almost a year and a half later.) We didn't realize it would not only make the acne disappear but she now has flawless perfect beautiful skin.

Not 5 months after having severe acne, we were getting glasses for me, and the woman there fitting them for me was sitting within about a foot of my daughter, she kept staring at her sort of distracted, and finally said to us, I'm sorry but I keep staring and I have to tell you, you have the most beautiful skin I have ever seen in my life. I can't tell you how it felt to see the look on my kids face. I explained to the woman and she could not believe it was true.
Anyways... I know this is for severe cases and I don't know how bad it is, but I just thought I'd put this out there for anyone else who might want to know too. I know of at least 3 people now who did this, one a 20 something woman, a teenage boy, and a 50 something man, all who say it changed their lives too.

By the way it's expensive, but we have Kaiser and it covered it 100%. Also that's good that she is using Bare Minerals, it's the only powder that ever helped my daughter (with coverage when her skin was bad), but don't use the mineral veil! That one can irritate the skin, but the colored foundation powders are great.
I'm glad to hear that Roaccutane worked for your daughter, cos unfortunately it doesn't for everyone and didn't for me. I had bad acne from the age of 16 and saw a dermatologist who put me on every drug under the sun. They would work in the short term and then the problem would reoccur. I was put on Roaccutane twice over a couple of years and yes would have miraculous results but six months after stopping the drug, yep back the acne would come. And I wish I had been told about the side effects in more detail, because looking back now, I'm sure I suffered depression badly during the second stint of taking the drug.

In the end, it took seeing a homeopath in my late 20s, a stringent diet and homeopathic remedies which FINALLY got rid of my acne for good.

I'm sure I was just a difficult patient and most people have good results with most drugs but geez, talk about messing with your head!!!

And the best thing? My best friend meanwhile was stuffing her face with chocolate and only ever had a zit if she ate GRAPEFRUIT

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #707
War Child

Local Time: 10:49 AM
I've heard it's a myth that eating chocolate causes acne.

I took special interest with your statement about seeing a homeopath. I believe very much in this line of medicine and there is no doubt a direct correlation between diet and our health. And I don't believe it's just an across the board 'eat healthy' attitude that will heal. I picked up Dr. J. D'Adamo's book 'Eat Right For Your Type' 4 Blood Types, 4 Diets.

I recently visited an M.D. who also practices integrative medicine/homeopathy as a last resort searching for an answer to why I feel lousy. My reg. Dr. has always said "you're perfectly healthy, it's your allergies making you tired" but never offered up a solution other than 'taking some pills'.

I've learned I'm O+, and there are specific foods I need to be eating, and specific foods I should avoid. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the medical risks for my Blood Type are all things I'm experiencing right now, some of which I have for years.

To concur with BlueEyedGirl's point about diet/skin connection..if diet has the power to change internal problems like digestive issues (I also just learned I'm lactose intolerant, all my bloating has gone away and I don't need a laxative anymore.) it would be reasonable to assume acne can be healed with diet change as well. The key is finding the trigger.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #708
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for posting blueyedgirl because it's good to see both sides of the story, and that it may not work for everybody. I'm really happy for you that the homeopathy and diet change helped you. Believe me, we also tried everything we could in those paths too. Especially diet. We tried every combination of diet change and testing for foods that might be problems for years. Everything from wheat, dairy, processed foods, etc... It was a very long process of trial and error, restricting her diet, etc... none having any effect. Going on the program definitely wasn't something that we rushed into, and I know we were lucky that she had no side effects, because obviously since they monitor it so closely it's a concern. I was just wondering if you had to use the ipledge program since that is the only way it can be used legally in the US I don't know if that's the case in other countries, or if the drug/dosages are the same everywhere in that case. Once her doctors confirmed that her acne was beginning to cause permanent scarring on most her face, and the fact that years of trying things had not worked, was when we decided to do it. We were told that the scarring would possibly be reversed only in some cases, but that it was most likely going to be permanent, so again, I believe she was a lucky one.
Anyways, I definitely recommend anyone try all the other possibilities like diet first. My first post was already so long I didn't go into detail of everything we tried first for years, but yes, always try that first!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #709
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm always on the lookout for good pencil/crayon type eyeliners. I just got this one and as of early today it's still looking good Went on nice and smooth too.

Avon (Anew line)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #710
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Thanks for your replies karinlv and bonocomet, it's always interesting to read about other people's experiences. At the time I had no other point of reference except personal trial and error cos none of my friends were suffering in the same way. I think I had every procedure imaginable including ultrasounds to rule out ovarian cysts and tumours, every blood test which always came back normal, I was poked and prodded till the cows came home!!!

The homeopath (who was recommended to me by my leg waxer at the time ) worked with a mainstream doctor who integrated complementary medicine in her practice. Best move I ever made. I did the whole "wheat, yeast, dairy free" thing which I still pretty much stick to this day (well except for wine and sugar and chocolate ) and took prescribed remedies. It took about 18 months all up but it was a permanent cure.

Whenever I see any teenagers with acne or hear the stories, my heart goes out to them, I know what it's like and I just hope they have better experiences than I did. And it's incredibly good to hear that sufferers DO find remedies that work. Take care

Oh yeah bonocomet you were asking about the regulations here in Australia about prescribing Roaccutane. Back then I was put on the oral contraceptive (which I had already tried for my acne, grrrr) to prevent pregnancy and therefore any birth defects, the major side effect of the drug I was told. I may have had to sign a disclaimer or something. The only side effects I was warned about was the skin and lip dryness. I think 20 years ago any psychological side effect was unknown or ignored. I hope things have changed now and that doctors prescribing this do warn their patients.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #711
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Check out coastalscents.com for good, cheap, make-up brushes. Lots of MAC dupes for reasonable prices. I just can't afford all the MAC brushes I want. I found out last week Sephora's brushes are just as expensive as MAC's! Check out youtube for reviews.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #712
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:49 AM
I heard on one of the morning news shows that Wet & Wild lip pencils are good. And they're only $1 at Rite Aid. Unfortunately they were out of any color that I would have wanted, but I'll go back and check. Worth a shot for a buck!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #713
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
I do use some Mary Kay products, and it does wonders to my skin.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #714
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Also I always buy it when my consultant runs special discounts, forskin care, and make-up.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #715
War Child

My sister in law just started with MK. I am wearing their mineral powder foundation for the first time today. I like it

I probably will always be loyal to MAC's compact powder found., though. It's so fast and easy to apply and stays put.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #716
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:49 PM
LADIES, GOT A QUESTION FOR YA!

What's the best mascara out there?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #717
Blue Crack Distributor

I was told that MK products were crap, no offense

Someone once recommended Lash Blast. I bought it and liked it. I have a new one here ready to go when the old one runs out
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #718
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny dancer View Post
forskin care.
These were the first words I read when I came back to this thread I thought you'd gone off pretty far from the acne talk

sorry.

I tried the hello flawless from benefit today, don't even know why, it was just in front of me so I put it on my face lol.. i think I love it though. It's held up all day. Anyone tried this?

I've been considering accutane for the past 17 years, I almost wish I'd done it when I was a kid and it was first suggested. I can't get myself to make the time to take off work for the regular blood work. It's interesting hearing everyones comments.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #719
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought the same thing as you about td's post

If I remember correctly they stopped making my daughter get the blood work after the first couple months when they were sure she was tolerating it well. However the monthly urinalysis (pregnancy test because you CANNOT get pregnant while on this, extremely dangerous) and check in with a doctor or nurse was mandatory, but at least the time in and out of the office visit for that was much less without the blood draw.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that some people will get redness in their skin when the acutane first starts working (it goes away though), but my daughter didn't get that either.

The 50ish man I mentioned that did the treatment, did it after seeing the amazing results his 20something daughter had.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #720
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I'm always on the lookout for good pencil/crayon type eyeliners. I just got this one and as of early today it's still looking good Went on nice and smooth too.

Avon (Anew line)

I'm going to quote this now to say it is AWESOME. Goes on smooth and perfect in the morning, and looks perfect still when I get home at night with NO touch ups all day, and I had a really hard, active day today. Usually pencil crayon type eyeliners will require me to at least tissue off a bit of smudging or bleeding along the lower lashes at some point in the day but not this one. $8

Tags
beauty, cosmetics, makeup