Makeup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually, really hate wearing make-up now, Im taking on my Granny's look - feckin nasal lines thing happenin. :angry:

but have to say, the URBAN DECAY eyeliner, you girls were so right, it does last longer and is stronger when applied!

Tanning - the airbrush/spray ones at salons leave you looking REALLY orange and I honestly wouldn't recommend them to anyone, unless they happen to like that sort of look.

I found that Clinique makes a pretty good self-tanner. The smell is still there, but it's milder and it doesn't streak as badly as the others. It's more pricey though. The creams work better than the sprays insofar as streaking goes.

I've tanned indoors before winter vacations since otherwise I'd burn to a crisp even with SPF 50 on.

Vichy is my fave, although a bit pricey but definitely worth it.

I got free blue mascara from spending too much money at Sephora.
Then last week I got a free makeover at Kohl's, and she put teal mascara on my lashes.

Now I'm obsessed with colored mascara. The color is subtle, but I think really looks cool. Any recommendations? I'm also broke.

I have green eyes and I've used Cover Girl Eyelights-they tell you which one to get based upon your eye color. It has a very subtle hint of metallic too, I just use one coat to make sure it stays subtle. I'm not that into expensive mascara because I've tried cheap and expensive and more often than not I'm happier with the cheap ones.

I've got the eyelights for brown eyes too. I love it! It's funny, I've never been a mascara fan. Now I'm obsessed. Oh, btw, Kohl's was having a super mega sale last week, and I got the last fushia mascara! Love it!

Skincare:

Living in Florida I'm starting to look seriously into skincare. I signed up for Sephora Beauty Insiders and got a Philosophy sample set which is really nice. I'm already noticing a change in my face after two weeks.

My Question:

While I love the Philosophy, has anyone ever tried the Sephora house brand and if so do you like it? I know there are reviews online but they all seem to be positive to glowing.

thanks

I've just started to use the Dermadoctor Picture Porefect spray. It's meant to reduce the size of your pores and decrease oily skin. I found it works really well, my face looks smoother (I feel like I'm doing an ad). :cute:

Also, I like the Kiehl's products. I have sensitive skin and those are the only products that don't irritate my skin or give me red patches

So I'm new to the world of mascara (what can I say - it makes me feel *~fancy~*), and I wanted to try some eye-makeup remover, since my cleanser wasn't cutting it. I also use the plan old "makeup remover" that Target sells, and that does great for everything BUT the mascara.

Is it supposed to feel really greasy and weird (as in, that's why it actually comes off), or did I just buy a really crummy brand?

It coud just be the brand, some of the ones I've used have turned out to be greesy, but I would then just wash my face with a cleanser.

mascara is the best thing, next to false lashes of course...but who can be bothred to wear them everyday?

The best mascara I have ever bought is Dior show. :love:

So I'm new to the world of mascara (what can I say - it makes me feel *~fancy~*), and I wanted to try some eye-makeup remover, since my cleanser wasn't cutting it. I also use the plan old "makeup remover" that Target sells, and that does great for everything BUT the mascara.

Is it supposed to feel really greasy and weird (as in, that's why it actually comes off), or did I just buy a really crummy brand?

Garnier make a lovely makeup remover that is very watery and will not sting at all. It smells quite fresh, too, so it's no major bother to use. It's a pale green liquid. Not sure what the name is (there can't be too many Garnier removers on the market?) but I can go check if you're interested. It has no trouble with my 12+ hour lippy or my drag queen strength mascaras.

I'll check that one out - thanks, Angela!

I was at a grocery store when I finally remembered I wanted to buy some, and they only had one option - the greasy stuff. They're little round pads, and it works, but it's a little icky.

I think I'll have better luck looking in a big drug store, or Target.

Target or a drug-store should have something, that's where I get my eye make-up remover pads. :)
I used Garnier wipes to remove make-up :up:

This line of makeup is amazing. Aromaleigh Pure Mineral Makeup | Natural Mineral Cosmetics Most of it's mineral makeup, but they do have a small section of non-mineral products.

We've tried a lot of their products and they go on really well, feel great, and stay in place (no smudging or creasing - I even slept in it one night :drunk: and was amazed at how good it still looked in the morning, lol). My face has become really sensitive the past few years, and even sleeping in it didn't irritate it at all.

One of the coolest things is, you can order samples of just about everything for a dollar each - we've done this and have tried dozens of eyeshadow and foundation colours. Great way to see if a colour actually looks good on you without spending a ton of money. Each sample has enough for several applications.

The prices are excellent, and they have regular sales. My daughter and I went in on an order tonight, and we got 6 makeup brushes (really good quality ones), a full size foundation, and 8 eyeshadow samples for $40. The last time, we got a full sized eye and lip primer, a full sized foundation, and 9 eyeshadow samples for $30.

On their website it says:

Aromaleigh is a small, woman-owned, independent online company that specializes in microformulating our unique and proprietary loose mineral powder cosmetics and natural fragrances using the finest cosmetic grade pigments, natural ingredients and botanicals available. Our loose powder mineral makeup is not repackaged or "private label"- we've been formulating our own proprietary blends for over a decade with that special ingredient- TLC...

I've never been this impressed with a cosmetics line before.

I love love love sephora! This is so cool thanks for sharing! Definitely want it!

I'm not too adventurous when I shop at sephora but I love their store brand matte eyeshadows and liquid eyeliners. Their birthday gifts you get for being a member rock too! That's how I fell in Love with their lipglosses.

Other brands I love from there are Time balm and Makeup Forever :heart:

I have very sensitive skin with Roscea. Thanks to all my Irish ancestors.....:sad:

I just starting using Pure and Natural a vegetable base soap. And it doesn't irritate my skin at all. Neutrogena oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin. Works well for me, in the colder climate.

Does any have advise as to a good foundation and powder. I don't use blush. One that is gentle, yet would help cover my redness? I also need a product that is friendly to my wallet.

Thanks in advance.

I have redness as well. I use the Bare escentuals powder and a light layer of cream foundation underneath that. It sucks. If I go out without makeup people think I'm sunburned. :angry:

I have very sensitive skin with Roscea. Thanks to all my Irish ancestors.....:sad:

I just starting using Pure and Natural a vegetable base soap. And it doesn't irritate my skin at all. Neutrogena oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin. Works well for me, in the colder climate.

Does any have advise as to a good foundation and powder. I don't use blush. One that is gentle, yet would help cover my redness? I also need a product that is friendly to my wallet.

Thanks in advance.

This line of makeup is amazing. Aromaleigh Pure Mineral Makeup | Natural Mineral Cosmetics Most of it's mineral makeup, but they do have a small section of non-mineral products.

We've tried a lot of their products and they go on really well, feel great, and stay in place (no smudging or creasing - I even slept in it one night :drunk: and was amazed at how good it still looked in the morning, lol). My face has become really sensitive the past few years, and even sleeping in it didn't irritate it at all.

One of the coolest things is, you can order samples of just about everything for a dollar each - we've done this and have tried dozens of eyeshadow and foundation colours. Great way to see if a colour actually looks good on you without spending a ton of money. Each sample has enough for several applications.

The prices are excellent, and they have regular sales. My daughter and I went in on an order tonight, and we got 6 makeup brushes (really good quality ones), a full size foundation, and 8 eyeshadow samples for $40. The last time, we got a full sized eye and lip primer, a full sized foundation, and 9 eyeshadow samples for $30.

On their website it says:

I've never been this impressed with a cosmetics line before.

I have redness and irritation too - just started this past winter. I haven't seen a doctor about it, but a woman at a cosmetics counter said it looks like it could be rosacea, and from what I've read about it online, it sounds like it may be. The cosmetic line I posted about above has been excellent for me - great coverage, non-irritating, and cheaper than many drugstore brands. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Since this problem first started for me, I've been cleansing with Aveeno Calming Cleanser with feverfew. For years before that, all I used on my face was Noxema - I really miss using it, but my skin's too sensitive for that now. :(

While in the worst part of a breakout, I went to a local cosmetics counter looking for something soothing. The lady recommended Avène Rich Cream Skin Recovery Cream Cream for Intolerant Skin�- Av�ne She said it's better than most skincare lines, it's made by a company in France that actually makes a line of pharmaceutical skin care products, and it contains this super special magical healing water from a mineral spring in France. I was skeptical, but I bought it, even though it was way more expensive than I've ever paid for any skincare product, ever - $40-something dollars for a small tube. But wow, it actually worked. Within a few hours, it had calmed things down considerably. Before this cream, the irritation was so bad for a few days that anything I put on my face just made it worse. I don't use it every day, only when I feel irritation coming on, and you only use a small amount, so it lasts a long time.

I have redness as well. I use the Bare escentuals powder and a light layer of cream foundation underneath that. It sucks. If I go out without makeup people think I'm sunburned. :angry:

Same here Sicy......I always have those red rose Irish cheeks. Even in the winter. I am going to buy some Bare Escentuals. I have read very good things about this product and they don't use any suffates.

I have redness and irritation too - just started this past winter. I haven't seen a doctor about it, but a woman at a cosmetics counter said it looks like it could be rosacea, and from what I've read about it online, it sounds like it may be. The cosmetic line I posted about above has been excellent for me - great coverage, non-irritating, and cheaper than many drugstore brands. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Since this problem first started for me, I've been cleansing with Aveeno Calming Cleanser with feverfew. For years before that, all I used on my face was Noxema - I really miss using it, but my skin's too sensitive for that now. :(

While in the worst part of a breakout, I went to a local cosmetics counter looking for something soothing. The lady recommended Avène Rich Cream Skin Recovery Cream Cream for Intolerant Skin�- Av�ne She said it's better than most skincare lines, it's made by a company in France that actually makes a line of pharmaceutical skin care products, and it contains this super special magical healing water from a mineral spring in France. I was skeptical, but I bought it, even though it was way more expensive than I've ever paid for any skincare product, ever - $40-something dollars for a small tube. But wow, it actually worked. Within a few hours, it had calmed things down considerably. Before this cream, the irritation was so bad for a few days that anything I put on my face just made it worse. I don't use it every day, only when I feel irritation coming on, and you only use a small amount, so it lasts a long time.

Thank you Vintage Punk. The same has been for me. Trying different products that just irritate my skin even more.

I really appreciate the advise that you and Sicy have given me. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom