Makeup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to get it - eyeliner is something I wear daily, (cultural practice) and this Stila kajal liner seems really long lasting and dark. :drool:

Did you ever decide what you thought about this? I went through the thread but maybe I missed it, sorry!

OH ok nevermind my question then, I didn't realize that pencil shown was the kajal one you were talking about, thought it was a different one!

2815341173_10949a7b95.jpg

Woah... how exactly are you supposed to apply something like that? :ohmy:

Okee, this isn't exactly makeup, but I hope you don't mind me intruding on the par-tay...

A friend was telling me about that Velvet Touch mitten, you know that ridiculous thing you see on tv where you rub and hair magically disappears? Well, according to said friend, it actually works. I remain skeptical.
Ladies?
Any thoughts on this magical little tv wonder?

Okee, this isn't exactly makeup, but I hope you don't mind me intruding on the par-tay...

A friend was telling me about that Velvet Touch mitten, you know that ridiculous thing you see on tv where you rub and hair magically disappears? Well, according to said friend, it actually works. I remain skeptical.
Ladies?
Any thoughts on this magical little tv wonder?

I shave my legs every day, so if that thing actually works, I'm so on board. Anybody else heard anything about it?

I shave my legs every day, so if that thing actually works, I'm so on board. Anybody else heard anything about it?

Same here, in the summer there aren't a lot of options. But ugh, I'm so tired of shaving.

So yeah, this would be awesome if it works.

Anyone?

omg, shaving legs every day LOL! Ever thought about using an epilator? Then you switch from a daily basis to almost a monthly basis :wink:
This mitten sounds interesting...I wonder how it works.

omg, shaving legs every day LOL! Ever thought about using an epilator? Then you switch from a daily basis to almost a monthly basis :wink:
This mitten sounds interesting...I wonder how it works.

I've heard they really only work well with coarser hair, a couple friends have tried them - one loves it the others complained it just made stubble for them lol (would break off the end of the hair)... mine is fairly fine so I've not tried.

I did use Nair a few times a couple years ago. It was alright, but only lasted slightly longer than shaving - but with added mess, smell, and it wasn't thorough, there would always be strays patchy spots that you would have to hit with a razor or whatever later.

As for shaving every day, I know some people who have hair types similar to mine who let it go a day or so, but for me personally, I just can't ignore that damned stubble on my legs, so I usually end up shaving.

^oh, actually I have never asked myself what kind of hair I have LOL. Maybe your friend is misusing it, because for me it works even with thin and short hairs, I think.

I shave every day, just a quick minute on each leg keeps them smooth. If I wait I get razorburn

I found this on the sandpaper thing

Smooth Away yields some hairy results
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:12 PM

By Anna Chan, health editor

What it is: Smooth Away ($14.99 plus $6.99 shipping/handling from www.getsmoothaway.com)

What it claims to do: Buff away unwanted hair and leave skin “so soft and incredibly smooth.” According to the Web site, the Smooth Away pads are covered with superfine crystals that easily, safely, painlessly and quickly remove unwanted hair and exfoliate dead skin cells.

Image: Smoothaway
IdeaVillage Products Corp.

My experience: I hate to admit it, but I’ve been a girl of the more hirsute sort since I can remember, and my excess hair caused me great embarrassment as a child. I tried many hair removal products in my teen years, hoping to find something cheap that would remove hair painlessly. The products I tried usually caused me considerable amounts of pain (from waxing) or pain and very irritated skin (from smelly depilatories).

So when Smooth Away arrived at my office, I was eager to try this new miracle hair remover, which the Web site claims is the “fastest selling, most popular women’s product in Europe.” As I grabbed the gray pads that would supposedly remove hair, I noticed the very prominent 3M logo plastered all over the back. But what was even more interesting was that the pads felt a lot like smooth sandpaper.

At this point, one might put the product aside and reconsider rubbing sandpaper-like pads all over delicate skin (especially while at work), but as a desperate hairy person, I didn’t care. I removed the protective backing, stuck a large gray pad to the big pink applicator, made sure my skin was clean and rubbed the pad on the back of my left wrist as instructed, gently buffing in circular motions – first clockwise, then counterclockwise -- with slight pressure.

The result after the first six circular buffs? A little bit of hair was certainly gone, but not much. Still hopeful, I repeated the motions as instructed, but by the time much of the hair on my wrist was gone, my skin was feeling a bit tingly, and I saw that the hair was certainly not well removed. Some small spots were smooth, while in other areas, the hair was barely there, but still visible if a bit shorter.

A few minutes later, it felt like I had major razor burn and my skin was quite red. As instructed, I applied moisturizer, but that didn’t help. (I missed the tip in the instructions about treating irritated skin with a milk-soaked cotton ball for a few minutes.)

After that, I lost interest in Smooth Away for a few days. When I picked it up again a few nights later, I decided to test it on my stubbly left leg. (Hey, it’s winter!) The experience was similar to the wrist, with a few differences. First, it took me at least a half an hour to remove what seemed like enough hair for me to be somewhat satisfied. Second, my skin was so covered in fine white “dust” (Smooth Away tells me this is exfoliated dead skin cells) by the time I was done that I couldn’t even see how much hair had been removed. Third, my skin wasn’t irritated at all this time, despite the lengthy removal process.

After a quick shower (and a shave of my right leg for comparison), I saw that not very much hair had been removed from my left leg at all. In fact, there were areas that appeared as if no hair had been removed, and my skin didn’t feel smoother from the supposed exfoliation. Meanwhile, my right leg was silky smooth and hair-free after a mere minute of shaving.

The next day, my left leg had even more stubble, while my right was still fairly smooth. Clearly, my razor won that contest.

Still curious about the pads, I went to my local home improvement store with one of them in hand. After touching countless sheets of sandpaper, I happened upon a 600 grit ultrafine sheet that felt incredibly similar to the Smooth Away. A quick test with the sandpaper (after purchasing, of course) removed more hair on my other wrist with just a few strokes than the Smooth Away did, and without any irritation. Winner this time? Sandpaper!

What the expert says: “It is a good idea for a product, but should be viewed with caution,” said Dr. Fiona Blanco, a clinical instructor of dermatology at Columbia University’s Department of Dermatology who has not tried Smooth Away. She’s not sure whether the goal of Smooth Away is to twist the hair off at skin level or whether it aims to remove it at the root, but explained that the instructed circular motions could be for snagging hairs and pulling them out by the roots.

As for the crystals the Web site mentions, Blanco said that her concern was skin irritation. “Crystals would probably exfoliate the skin, but I don’t know what the crystals are composed of so they might cause contact sensitivity,” she said. The dermatologist also noted that crystals are used in dermatology for microdermabrasion, which could explain the product’s exfoliation claim.

When I mentioned my sandpaper experiment, Blanco warned that if Smooth Away is in fact sandpaper, and we don’t know whether it is, using the product could exacerbate preexisting skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, increase risk for infection and worsen dry skin. “If the pads are very abrasive, then they could very easily cause traumatic irritation, erosions and burns to the skin,” she explained.

But even those without any skin issues should be careful, especially in the winter, Blanco said. “People tend to have dry skin in the winter secondary to decreased humidity and it may be tempting to exfoliate these dead skin cells, but this may only aggravate the condition by increasing cell turnover and irritation resulting in eczema.”

Bottom line: After experimenting with Smooth Away and sandpaper, I’m sticking to my razors, which Blanco said could probably scrape off dead skin with a close shave anyway.

But if you really want to rid yourself of excess hair, Blanco recommends laser removal, which aims to destroy the hair follicle to prevent regrowth. “That’s the best way to remove hair,” she said. “Then just moisturize and you won’t have to worry about doing anything on a weekly or biweekly basis.”

MAIN PAGE

Email this EMAIL THIS
Comments
I've tried Smooth Away, and I agree that shaving works better

marshjes, Zeeland, MI (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 8:41 AM)
I had the same experience, with regard to the lack of hair removal. Fortunately, I did not have the sensitivity. I was able to return the product, however I didn't realize that the " buy one, get one" is a rip off.. When you purchase one, you are charged the exact same amount for "shipping and handling" as the price of a second..
All in all I was most unhappy and would not recommnend this item to anyone.

Debbie Davis Midland MI (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 8:55 AM)
My son bought me a large box of this product . All it did was make my skin red .I'll donate it .

Hairy monster (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 9:08 AM)
It's nice to see an actual review of one of these products. I didn't believe the claims of the Smooth Away ad, so I wasn't about to buy it, but there are a lot of desperate people out there who might be sucked in. Now, how bout that Sham Wow?

Linda, Ridgeley, WV (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 9:19 AM)
Why pay $14.99 plus $6.99 shipping if you really MUST try this product. In my local CVS drugstore, they are selling it for $9.99.

C Schmidt, Richboro, PA (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 9:23 AM)
This stuff has been around for years and it's awful! I have fair skin that is somewhat sensitive, but it's nothing that an over the counter lotion can't solve. When I used the product, I started light and worked my way up until the hair was gone. Well, along with the hair it took several layers of skin and it took at least a week to recover from the self-inflicted "tramatic irritation" (as warned by the doctor in the article). Unless you have thick, hardy skin and light hair, I'd stay far away from this product!

Laura, Austin, TX (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 9:51 AM)
I was seconds away from purchasing this product when I decided to be smart about it and learn from other people's experiences. I'm so glad I did. Most of the reviews I read, which totalled somewhere around 120, said exactly what this article is stating. It's basically sandpaper, and just doesn't do the job. Various people reported that their skin scabbed after using it (eww!), and couldn't believe that anyone had had a positive experience with it. People were even questioning if perhaps the Smooth Away folks had planted their employees on the message boards to write good reviews because it just wasn't possible to have a good experience with this product. I can't say if that's the case, and it's likely that it does work for some people, but the vast majority were horrified by the results. Glad I looked before I leapt, to be sure.

JR, Harrison, NY (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:04 AM)
I LOVE Smooth Away. I am always skeptical of as seen on TV products and didn't have much hope for this when I received it as a gift. I'm a mom of 2 and rarely able to take a long enough shower to shave my legs. I can use Smooth Away while my son plays in the bath, no water, shaving cream or razor needed. The instructions mention that your hair has to be shorter than 1/4"...could that be the problem?

Beth, Rock Hill, SC (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:05 AM)
I tried Smooth Away a few months ago and had similar results. It didn't seem to do anything for the hair on my legs but worked quit nicely on the ultra fine hair that I never pay attention to on the top of my foot and toes. Totally not worth it.

Dawn, Utah (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:12 AM)
Smooth Away is nothing but a sales gimick. After purchasing this product, it took weeks (and many phone calls) before it was finally delivered. I was completely disappointed with the results. I believe your experiment with the sandpaper sums things up quite nicely.

Anonymous (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:22 AM)
Thanks!

Judy (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:30 AM)
I bought this for my 6 year old granddaughter who was teased about her hairy arms. It worked like a charm, and she was so thrilled. We think this product is wonderful!!

Mary Fran McCarron (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 10:35 AM)
I have also tried this Smooth Away product. It seemed to work well for me. Although I have very fine very soft hairs. My daughters also tried it, neither like it. For them the product didn't really remove the hair well enough.

Though it worked well for me, I still think I will use my razor as it is much quicker. Smooth Away will be for those missed spots on the knees and ankles and touchup jobs.

Leslie, MS (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:11 AM)
I tried using smooth away and it didn't work at all. I was very disappointed and it irritated my skin.

df (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:30 AM)
I also bought "Smooth Away" bad waste of money!!!! It took 2 big pads to do one leg. Still had hair, i'll stick with razors and Nair, at least that does work, use a credit card to scrap Nair off - it works better than a washcloth! Where can I get my money back for the Smooth Away?

Donna McBay (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:32 AM)
I purchased Smooth Away from Walgreens. It really does the trick! Although I wouldn't use it for my full legs (I tried, it took FOREVER) I would use it for quick touch ups, if I happened to miss a spot. It's also useful to get rid of stubble inbetween shaves. If you have very sensitive skin like the author seems to have, I wouldn't use it though, because it is a bit abrasive.

C, Wisconsin (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:35 AM)
I have been using Smooth Away for about a month now and love it. I'll admit, I'm not an overly hairy woman (not a lot of hair or is it very thick). But it works fine for me.

Rhi Baird (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:44 AM)
My teenage daughter and I both tried Smooth Away, with unsatisfactory results. For anyone out there who is curious about this product, don't bother! It is a waste of time and money.

Kelly Maxwell , Midland, MI (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:45 AM)
Great review! I have been wondering if those little things would work! Thanks.

Lauren, Denver, CO (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 12:08 PM)
I tried Smooth Away too and found it to work fairly well if I spent enough time and energy on it, but the next day, the hair was back just as much as it would have been if I used a razor. Using a razor takes a few minutes in the shower, Smooth Away would have taken at least an hour for me to do one whole leg. I can see Smooth Away being good for any tiny missed spots when I don't feel like messing with the razor again, but overall, a wasted $10, in my opinion.

J, Pittsburgh (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 12:18 PM)
If you wait long enough, everything comes around again. I can remember my mother using a similar product when I was a child in the 1950's!!!! She used it on her facial hair, but it was just like a fine sandpaper. It probably didn't work much better than this product seems to! Barbara

Barbara Wicks (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 12:55 PM)
My mom, sister and myself ordered the smooth away and my sister refused to use it once she saw the "sandpaper" I tried it on my husband first and the poor guy was bright red and irritated, it's in my hall closet still in the box, it's pretty much useless.

K, New Jersey (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:06 PM)
My Husband gave me smooth away as a Christmas gift, I was thrilled as I am on a high dose of blood thinners and restricted from shaving; my legs are worse now, the hair comes in thicker and darker than ever! My upper lip had a small light brown mole for all my 38 years until smooth away smoothed it away all right, it took almost an hour to get the bleeding stopped. I no longer promote this product.

Reesie (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:10 PM)
I purchased Smoothlegs from a kiosk in a mall this weekend. The salesperson was demonstrating the product and showed the results. They claimed that they were the original developers of this product, Smooth away is a knock off. It really worked well on the fine hair on my face and on my arms. I have not tried it on my legs.

Diane, Cobb, WI (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:19 PM)
Just another product to sell to idiots. Who said there is one born every minute? He was right

T Bo (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:45 PM)
It works fine for me. I have no problems. Shaving is faster for the legs. Though I needed it for my upper lip. Shaving would be a no no and the creams would burn my skin. Wising I rather just live with the hair than the burn sores from the cream and no I don't leave it on too long.

Sunshine, CA. (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:56 PM)
I've used Smooth Away and it worked like a charm. Sounds like I'm fortunate.

Melanie, Austin, TX (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 1:56 PM)
Have any of you ladies tried the Smooth Away for refinishing your furniture yet? Might work!

David Tracy, Clifton Arizona (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 2:11 PM)
Smooth Away = waste of money.

kathy p (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 2:15 PM)
They worked great on my car prepping for paint!

BigRick (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 2:16 PM)
I also bought it at CVS for under $10. The first time I used it, I loved it. It didn't irritate my skin (legs). THEN I tried it on my facial hair and I won't do that again. Tried it for a second time on my legs and like someone previous posted, it seems as though I need to replace the pads more often that I'd like. Will probably use for touch-ups on my legs but not again on my face.

Lisa Abatemarco, Benson, NC (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 2:34 PM)
I bought it, it was about as thorough as a good shave, but it was fabulous with the exfoliation, that will probably be my main use for it. My sister, however bought it, and hated it completely, so I guess it just depends on the person

kimberly, louisville ky (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 2:45 PM)
Thank you for saving me money!

I emailed does it work about this when I saw it, so I'm glad it finally got tested. I've never understood why the products that say "shaving takes so long" take longer than a quick shave ever would...

Lyntegra (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 3:17 PM)
I think this product is great I used it on my leg and they were alot more smoother then using a razor. I had no rash. Great Product

April Indy, IN (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 3:19 PM)
It IS sandpaper. The color, texture, and 3M label are instantly recognizable if one has ever worked with ultra-fine grit sandpaper. I was an employee at Schucks when I heard about this product and laughed, any auto parts store carries the exact same thing for finish work on auto body. Infact, I bought a set of Smooth Away, and compared and it's identical. We even had FINER grit sandpaper. What a load.

Mandie, Spanaway, WA (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 3:26 PM)
This is absolutely worthless. How I wish I could have read these comments b/4 I plunked down the $10 plus for the worthless item. Now I hate to trash it, because of the money, wish I could get a refund. If anyone knows how to get one, please post it. JUNK!!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM

Barbara Davidson Texas (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 3:52 PM)
The worst part of using this product on your chin is that is two days you have a stubble, something you never have with waxing. It takes a long time to use it and the embarrassing results (stubble) certainly are not worth it.

Marcia Smith, Los Angeles, CA (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 4:20 PM)
I tried a similar product about 10 years ago, thinking it would be a perfect alternative to razor cuts for my wedding and honeymoon. Big mistake! The burns to my more tender areas were so painful I had to keep vaseline slathered on for a week.

TD, Seattle, WA (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 4:25 PM)
Just curious, because 3M is a good brand, but I can't find anything on their web site that refers to this product and the SmoothAway web site shows no connection to 3M. I suspect this is a scam, but it is not 3M's scam.

John Wawrzonek (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 4:25 PM)
"Smooth Away" is anything but. It is a big ripoff. I agree with the majority here, razors still work best for those of us who can't go the laser thing.

SRF, Shelbyville, Tn (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 5:57 PM)
When I first saw the commercial, I figured that the crystals were just sand paper. I disagree though that laser hair removal is permanent. Only electrolysis is permanent.

Joan Rivera, Barnum, MN (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 6:50 PM)
My husband gave me Smooth Away for Christmas. We first tried it on his back and it is the first thing we used that did not irritate his skin and yes, it removed all the hair! I use it on my legs and it works just fine.

sjg, wa (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 6:53 PM)
We saw a demo of Smooth Away at the county Fair and it looked convincing enough so we bought two packages for my wife. She tried it and curtly said to me "it just doesn't work! It's a rip-off!"

Tim, San Diego CA (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 7:17 PM)
i don't understand why women with hair need to feel they must remove it -- hair is common to both genders and many men are attracted to natural women, regardless of the messages mass marketing may provide. you can be beautifil with hair ... anywhere. it is our product-driven society that has created the supposition that any woman who has natural body hair must remove it to be attractive. this just ... isn't so. the same concept and reality applies to ladies who feel they must have breast augmentation merely because the advertising so prevasive in both print and broadcast media have created this misperception and illusion. you ladies might want to consider that many men don't need a barbie doll clone and prefer a more natural woman who is absent silicone implants and skin scrubbed raw from hair removal. aside, why risk your health to mimic unreal models?

jack gordon, pittsburgh, pa. (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 8:11 PM)
Thanks so much for this review...

I wanted to buy the product because shaving with a safety razor sometimes cuts me, electric razors sometimes don't get as close as I'd like, waxing hurts and I don't have the nerve to wax myself over large areas (messy, hot and painful not to mention leftover hairs don't appeal to me).

Nair and Neet and other cremes STINK and even when you shower the chemical/metallic smell lasts for at least 2 days.

And lasers? LOL. Who can afford it? Isn't it like $500 for one leg and don't you have to go back in a few months?

It sounded a little iffy...but I was thinking well...maybe...

Now it's a definate well....maybe no way!

Janie (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 8:24 PM)
This product works because tada! it is ultra smooth grit sandpaper, the type you use on finishing the final final stages of furniture, you have to apply pressure and use it just like you would real sandpaper in fast strokes or waves or circles, it can make your face/lip area red and sore for a little while just like any microdermabrasion would. For me it works better than shaving, i always had dark hair showing especially on my upper lip after using a razor, after using this and really sanding down my upper lip well, it's smooth and nice skin color instead of shadowy looking. Good product I will buy sandpaper at my work place for replacement pads.

Janessa (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 9:20 PM)
My wife and I tried it (yes I'm a guy) and we both felt it did not work. I tried it on my legs and breast and it did nothing. Don't buy this thing

Thomas b, Binghamton (Sent Friday, March 06, 2009 11:16 PM)
As my grandmother is in the other room sleeping I almost burst out laughing. As another hairy girl to other, I thank you for taking one for the team (in terms of trying this product out). I have tried them all and have to say the only thing that has worked for me is shaving, which is a daily task, waxing my face twice a month, and most likely in the near future Laser removal. Nothing else works for me. Thanks again for your report. Very funny :).

I bought this yesterday from Sephora. It was too good a deal to pass up. $59 for all those products.
Haven't tried it yet aside from on my hand in the store.

I wanted to step down from Chantacaille as an everyday foundation..too pricey. But I love it :heart:

smashbox.jpg

I bought the light version.

Master's Class Vol. 3 Complexion Perfection - Medium ($176 Value)
What it is:
A seven-piece kit for complexion perfection.

What it does:
Smashbox Master Class Vol. 3 Complexion Perfection Set - Medium is designed to educate consumers about how to create the foundation for seamless makeup application. Watch the instructional DVD for exclusive tips and tricks!

What else you need to know:
The set includes High Definition Healthy Fx Foundation SPF 15 in Medium M2 (1 oz), Hybrid 2-in-1 Luminizing Primer in Flash (0.98 oz), Pressed Powder/Bronze Lights Duo in Medium/Dark (0.42 oz), Camera Ready Full Coverage Concealer in 5.0 (0.08 oz), Photo Op Under Eye Brightener (0.24 oz), a Baby Buki Brush, a Travel Foundation Brush, and an instructional DVD.

I love my Stila eye kajal. It's perfect for the waterline. :)
My other new favorite is my Korres yogurt cream moisturizer.
Best moisturizer I've ever used, hands down.
P116805_hero.jpg

Both Sephora and Ulta carry the Korres line now. I've loved every thing I've tried. I can not live without my Guava lip butter. :heart:

Redkat! :wave:

Been awhile...

Thanks for the info! I was thinking of biting the bullet and buying the darn thing to experiment on myself, but now I think I may just stick to my ball'n'chain shaving routine.

Hi Bri :wave:

you're pale too right? maybe that's the difference between the frequent shavers and the Sicy's :wink:

Hi Bri :wave:

you're pale too right? maybe that's the difference between the frequent shavers and the Sicy's :wink:

I have a friend who is a red head / light brown and her leg hair is sooo thin and light that you cant even see it after a week. So jealous :|

This is my punishment for being Italian. :fist:

If I wanted to be smooth all the time I would literally have to shave every day or every other day. Boo Hiss.

If I wanted to be smooth all the time I would literally have to shave every day or every other day. Boo Hiss.

Haha, me too.

Although I do shave every other day, it only takes about 5 minutes in the shower and since I go to the gym almost every day it's a necessity anyway.

I love Ulta and Sephora. But I prefer Ulta only cause you can get drugstore brands there too.

My newest purchase: A 3 barrel Hair waver from BedHead.

Back
Top Bottom