Let's talk about Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have moved around since we began as a species. People seriously need to build a bridge and get the fuck over it. Plus, where is the pride in our country helping these relative few?

Judging by some of the conversations I've heard, many immigrants aren't overly fond of asylum-seekers either.

Very true. This should go without saying since we're all fallible humans, but it's worth mentioning that it's not just the Skip majority that needs to learn a thing or two about basic human rights. I know for a fact that a lot of migrants from other African nations don't take kindly to the Sudanese, frequently blaming them for giving other Africans a bad rap and so worth, and one of the most racist guys I know is a gay Indian.

But yeah, Anna is exactly right.

Oh man, some of the comments I've heard from Indians about their fellow Indians from other parts of the country, let alone any other subcontinent country - there are horrid racists in Frankston who WISH they'd thought of that material.

But yeah, what Anna said. What I especially don't understand is the massive furore about boat people when the vast majority of illegal migration occurs via plane and people overstaying their visas. You don't see a huge moral panic about that!

And if you're really so worried about it not because you're a racist but because you're concerned about population growth (pull the other one), then stop having children! As the Chaser so hilariously pointed out, the amount of boat people is just a tiny fraction of the number of "womb people" coming into this country every year without any security checks. They could be ANYBODY! And they're going to leech off our health and education systems for 18+ years!

Probably one of the most racist guys I've ever met was this guy who went to my high school who was born on New Caledonia. Grew up in Australia and everything, but by god did he hate the French with a passion. You couldn't make a "lol the french always surrender" joke around him without being subjected to a lengthy rant about the bloody French.

He couldn't care less about where anybody else was from. He just had it in for France.

some of my tradie mates have said that some Pakistanis look down on Indians.

That may be putting it mildly, and it goes both ways.

What I especially don't understand is the massive furore about boat people when the vast majority of illegal migration occurs via plane and people overstaying their visas. You don't see a huge moral panic about that!

I think it's just down to the imagery. Asylum seekers arriving on a plane in a mix of regular passengers or people overstaying their visas while being scattered among the population just doesn't create the same dramatic effect as a boat full of asylum seekers. Though in realistic terms it's obviously ridiculous, I think that the boats create an impression of "invasion", especially to an island nation like Australia.

Axver said:
That may be putting it mildly, and it goes both ways.

Yeah? I had no idea. I think I knew they weren't best mates, but was there a war or something?

Saracene said:
I think that the boats create an impression of "invasion", especially to an island nation like Australia.

This is a really good point and probably explains why it invokes such fierce reactions in some people.

Yeah? I had no idea. I think I knew they weren't best mates, but was there a war or something?

The formation of Pakistan (out of India) was messy, to say the least - the mass slaughter of tens of thousands of people will always leave a bad taste in the mouth. Since then through to today - on the surface at least - it's territorial disputes and skirmishes based around the Kashmir region. They've got dozens of nuclear weapons pointed at each other, and it is considered the 'hottest' nuclear standoff in the world, in terms of the likelihood of it actually kicking off in that way. I'd say there are very few countries who hate each other more.

i've got a mate who is in Melbourne at the moment but stands to lose everything at home in Cairns.

7pm tonight apparently is the time... 500kms wide.

Floods and Cyclone Yasi: nature's sign that nobody should live in Queensland - Y/Y?

At any rate, thank fuck my aunt and uncle don't live in Cairns any more. They rode out a couple of minor cyclones in their time there and that was stressful enough.

1) looks like Ian Thorpe is making a comeback aimed at London 2010. let's hope and pray and wish that The Dream does as well.

A retroactive comeback? Now that's quite a feat!

in.reuters.com.jpg

Lookit that sucker

It's insane that this thing is forecast to still be a cyclone WELL INTO THE OUTBACK. I mean, a cyclone in the desert? Could you get any more extreme, Australia?

Oh, and watch out NSW, VIC, and SA: apparently this thing could cause flooding right down to the Murray.

The latest imagery from the Bureau of Meteorology shows it still being a category one cyclone when it passes over Mount Isa! Then a severe low in the Territory.

This is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

What next, Pauline Hanson is going to return to Oz and run for state parliament once more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom