Let's talk about Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty interesting listening to the Hottest 100 from here in London, having been here for about 18 months, hearing most of the Australian content for the first time.

Begs the question: REALLY?!?!?

Earnie Shavers said:
Pretty interesting listening to the Hottest 100 from here in London, having been here for about 18 months, hearing most of the Australian content for the first time.

Begs the question: REALLY?!?!?

FUCKING OATH.

Soooo much garbage on the list this year, more than last year.

Little Lion Man >>>>> Big Jet Plane

Eh, it's not that bad. It's at least listenable, even if the enjoyment level is like listening to myself ripping toilet paper slowly.

The list is always pretty underwhelming, but I'm not sure I can even see one song I genuinely like in the top 10, or even the top 20 this year. Also, that fucking Kanye song can get fucked, I don't know what the start of it was like but that last five or so minutes of noise/piano was an IDEA, not an original one at that, and not fucking good music by any stretch of the imagination. I can't believe how long it went for, and why anyone would vote for it, especially over the good hip-hop released in 2010. And holy shit, I can't believe Pendulum's "mix" of the ABC song actually got in - it's just so incredibly slack. It's one thing to cover something, another thing entirely to extend it and add drum and bass. What's the story behind it, anyway? If those boganerd favourites actually put effort into it, they're even worse than I already thought they were.

A very large 'meh' in the direction of the number 1.

The list is always pretty underwhelming, but I'm not sure I can even see one song I genuinely like in the top 10, or even the top 20 this year. Also, that fucking Kanye song can get fucked, I don't know what the start of it was like but that last five or so minutes of noise/piano was an IDEA, not an original one at that, and not fucking good music by any stretch of the imagination. I can't believe how long it went for, and why anyone would vote for it, especially over the good hip-hop released in 2010. And holy shit, I can't believe Pendulum's "mix" of the ABC song actually got in - it's just so incredibly slack. It's one thing to cover something, another thing entirely to extend it and add drum and bass. What's the story behind it, anyway? If those boganerd favourites actually put effort into it, they're even worse than I already thought they were.

A very large 'meh' in the direction of the number 1.

Bonnie, i've decided, we have to meet before you move away, one way or another. this post reflects my feelings about the list this year perfectly. i could go into detail, but you've pretty much expressed all that i thought.

Being an old codger, I didn't listen to the 100, but it was enough to hear what made No. 1. If something that twee could make it to Number 1, then I weep for the future of this country...

And it was all I could do not to run over all the bogans wearing Aussie flags as capes yesterday. It would have done hell with my rating 1. I have never seen so many Aussie flags flying everywhere, on cars, on houses, on shops. This flag thing is a new century thing, I don't remember seeing any flags other than on official flag poles when I was growing up in the dark ages. Too bad I associate the flag with skips expressing bogan pride, grrr. Thus endeth the rant....

Saw too many Union Jacks for my liking, time to get a pair of scissors, cut it out of every flag and make it our official flag. Would look fantastic without that painful reminder dominating our national symbol.

Bonnie, i've decided, we have to meet before you move away, one way or another. this post reflects my feelings about the list this year perfectly. i could go into detail, but you've pretty much expressed all that i thought.

Oh shit yes. I want to get back to Vic sometime if just for a few days, will see what I can do this year.

Here are some winners from yesterday, courtesy of TBL asking people about the various celebrations they saw:

Our friend's neighbours counted down at midnight last night and then yelled "Happy Australia Day" like it was NYE.

just heard of someone buying a $4 bottle of plonk & trying to knock down the price?

A group of bogans in a black commodore with a huge Australian flag waving out the back window driving past an Aboriginal "Invasion Day" protest while screaming abuse and obscenities.

Dude who turned the back of his ute into a pool. Then filled it with VB stubbies while he sat inside, complete with VB cap

Sitting in queen street mall drinking a coffee with a friend at about (;20 p.m last night we were accosted by a drunk unit t-shirt wearing, southern cross tattoo sporting bogan asking what day it was tomorrow and asking us if we were australian, once we had satisfied his curiosity he shook our hands and walked off, he then proceeded to harass a group of asians telling them "tomorrow is australia day, you're in our country..... think about it cunts"

People wishing each other a 'Happy Australia Day'! When did this become acceptable or desirable?!?!?

reply: Happy Australia Day - Captain Cook turns up to give you presents.

So... does anyone know the second verse of the Australian national anthem? :)

I can recite the old Soviet Union anthem to perfection, but I can just about remember the first four lines of the first verse and then it's *mumble mumble mumble rich and rare mumble mumble mumble mumble advance Australia fair".

Here are some winners from yesterday, courtesy of TBL asking people about the various celebrations they saw:

Yep, sounds like Australia Day to me. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic, but then people take it further ...

I don't even know my own country's national anthem. :( It makes me feel sad.

So... does anyone know the second verse of the Australian national anthem? :)

I can recite the old Soviet Union anthem to perfection, but I can just about remember the first four lines of the first verse and then it's *mumble mumble mumble rich and rare mumble mumble mumble mumble advance Australia fair".

Never mind the REAL second verse! How about the fake, overtly Christian second verse? Many private schools, including the one I went to, sing that as if it's the second verse when it's not. Not that I can remember any of it apart from "with Christ our head and cornerstone we'll build this country's might" or some bullshit like that.

And as far as the actual verses two, three, and four go, they actually make the first verse look good.

and as much as i wish i didn't, i do love the nz anthem.

Same. It sounds especially good in Maori.

yeah, there's a lot of things illegal in america that have to do with flags. though it's probably all for the best because it's so tacky. it doesn't stop people from wearing it as underpants or something though.

No, I don't think that's true at all. Wikipedia was a little vague, but I know for a fact that some conservatives here are pissy that it's not illegal to burn the American flag, so I find it hard to believe anyone has gone to jail for wearing it. There's a certain code one's supposed to follow (like, "don't let it touch the ground") that Boy Scouts and whatnot do, but I strongly doubt it's a question of legality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom