Let's talk about Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well holy fuck it's gotten so much worse.

Toowoomba is a river. 8 people are dead, 72 are missing. Grant Denyer has been reduced to tears a number of times on TV this morning.

:sigh:

i have family in Brisbane, Chinchilla and Kingaroy..

well holy fuck it's gotten so much worse.

Toowoomba is a river. 8 people are dead, 72 are missing. Grant Denyer has been reduced to tears a number of times on TV this morning.

:sigh:

i have family in Brisbane, Chinchilla and Kingaroy..

Grant Denyer always reduced me to wanting to punch him in the face, but that is for another time.

I hope your family are okay danny. I hope they find those missing, and more importantly alive!

These places were on stage 6 water restrictions previously....holy fuck.

Why do people hate Grant Denyer? Why do people hate well meaning personalities? Did I miss something?

Why do people hate Grant Denyer? Why do people hate well meaning personalities? Did I miss something?

He comes across as fake and just plain annyoing to me, at times. I used to really like Sunrise and that when I was in high school, I enjoyed getting up to watch Mel and Koschie.

But now its all gossipy stuff, and I might as well be watching entertainment tonight, most of the time.

Can we get some planes or helicopters to take the flood waters and pour them over WA?

Yeah text all the fam, they are fine but stuck where they are and nervous about the water.

Bushfires in Perth too

Best wishes Danny, don't have family in QLD to my knowledge but I do know someone who was evacuated from Emerald. I am sure they'll be fine.

Deliberately lit bushfires, no less. :down: Some assholes torched down a 98 yo's house in Adelaide yesterday, too.

Grant Denyer always reduced me to wanting to punch him in the face, but that is for another time.

:giggle: thank you for 'vocalising' the exact thought that ran through my head . . . still he is better than Ben Fordham *grrrrrrrrr*

Yeah text all the fam, they are fine but stuck where they are and nervous about the water.

Bushfires in Perth too

:up: - except the bit about the bushfires, that is :down:

Best wishes Danny, don't have family in QLD to my knowledge but I do know someone who was evacuated from Emerald. I am sure they'll be fine.

Deliberately lit bushfires, no less. :down: Some assholes torched down a 98 yo's house in Adelaide yesterday, too.

seriously. people :|

ugh. :( i hope your family stays safe, danny. how horrible. the closest i can think of a situation i've been in was last year, lots of flooding, though it was even worse a few hours away in nashville. at least that was just one day and not getting more and more rain repeatedly for days on end.

and the bushfires out west make me sick, to think someone would deliberately do that shit. what possesses people to do something like that?

The flooding in Queensland is just mental. Glad I don't live there any more! I've been keeping my eye out for any mentions of the Brisbane River breaking its banks around St Lucia, since I'm curious about my old place, old haunts and stuff. Wouldn't take much for some parts of there to go under.

My family on the Gold Coast seem to all be doing fine at this stage. My mother and her partner nearly got trapped in a small town in northern NSW while driving back to the Gold Coast; they were staying there overnight and all roads in were closed, but luckily in the morning, the waters had gone down briefly and they could get out.

Most curious/worried about one of my friend's family though; fearing the worst for his brother's cafe in Toowoomba but I think his house is up on high ground so hopefully he's got through this OK. Still waiting to hear from some other friends too but don't think they'll be as badly affected.

Well greetings from downtown flood risk central Windsor. Apparently I can expect a forced evac this afternoon around 2-ish so I've moved up to higher ground (um, Wilston) where luckily for me the Coffee Club is still open. Yay! Flood waters - you may take my home - but you can't take my overpriced coffee!

Sigh. And we moved up here after narrowly missing the bushfires in Melbourne. Who the hell do I owe a karmic debt to?

Whoever you told off in Grade 2, obviously.

Spoke to my friend in Bris yesterday. She works in Milton and was told to go home at 10.00 am and stay home for the rest of the week. She lives on high ground thankfully and should be OK.

Just hearing on the news now about the Regatta Hotel in Milton about to go under. That's near where she works! :ohmy:

hmm, now that brisbane is starting to flood i'm a bit more interested in the family i have in mudgeeraba and the gold coast.

As far as Mudgeeraba goes, no problems at this stage. My mother's next door in Tallai at the moment and assured me last night there's no flooding there - or even on the Merrimac/Robina floodplain that usually goes under at the faintest sign of drizzle (I guess they've improved the drainage in the last couple of years?).

Just hearing on the news now about the Regatta Hotel in Milton about to go under. That's near where she works! :ohmy:

Oh shit! That's just a ferry stop down from where I used to live.

Fond memories. Got a free beer there once because I was the only Wellington Hurricanes supporter there (apart from the guy behind the bar) for one of their games.

I've been quite impressed by Anna Bligh throughout this ordeal, she sounds quite real and isn't taking crap from journos.

My cousin lives on a farm in Chinchilla which is completely flooded in. They'll be okay but just won't be able to go anywhere for some time.

Not looking forward to the waters receding and the body count skyrocketing :(

I was looking forward to going down the surf coast today but Wye River has overflowed and the caravan park is being evacuated!

Fuck, I was just reading about that on The Age! They aren't in any immediate danger, I hope?

Don't think so... I might go the back way for a drive.

This floods crisis... it's hard to compare with the Victorian bushfires but it has the potential to be even worse, particularly because it seems it will hit the CBD.

Jaysus - I hope your family are okay - it must be terrifying for them :(

And I agree with you in regards to Anna Bligh - she really has been impressive; a model of calm, compassionate authority in this really awful time for Queensland.

Hopefully people will remember this when the inevitable knives come out and her detractors try to make some kind of seedy political gain out of this hideous situation.

This floods crisis... it's hard to compare with the Victorian bushfires but it has the potential to be even worse, particularly because it seems it will hit the CBD.

Yeah, the death toll will presumably be well lower (hooray for small mercies?) barring some unforeseen calamity, but the damage bill is just going to be monumental and will probably put the bushfire's damage bill in the shade.

Just heard they've been busy sandbagging around where I used to live. Still know a family that lives in the same building, though not well enough to be in much contact. Hope they're doing OK. Wonder where my old flatmate's got to ... haven't spoken to him in months. Might be a good time to drop him a line and make sure he's not in harm's way!

yeah they're in no danger at all, really. just the caravan park is what you would describe as flooded because it lies very low.

Yeah, the death toll will presumably be well lower (hooray for small mercies?) barring some unforeseen calamity, but the damage bill is just going to be monumental and will probably put the bushfire's damage bill in the shade.

yeah that's what i was getting at. the devastation and deaths won't be as bad, but i think the aftermath may be worse, especially in terms of $$$. but then again i never saw first hand what happened to country Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom