Let's talk about Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you call Kiwi skip-hop? No, this isn't a set up for a joke, I'm genuinely curious.

Electronic music is really the only area where Australian acts have been world class, even world leaders, over the past decade or so. Avalanches 'Since I Left You' - a decade old now - is, for my money, the best Australian album ever. More recently, Cut Copy, Presets, Pnau, Empire of the Sun, several others - as good or even easily better than any of their US/Euro peers.

Damn, this is exactly right.

:up: electro, best genre to excel at..

We also are brilliant at producing yukky garage-rock revivalists (Jet, Vines)... and we do other blatant but bland rock revivalist wannabes like Wolfmother and Airbourne REALLY well!!

Never mind the beards, he's screaming for a proper bath.

:giggle:

Electronic music is really the only area where Australian acts have been world class, even world leaders, over the past decade or so. Avalanches 'Since I Left You' - a decade old now - is, for my money, the best Australian album ever. More recently, Cut Copy, Presets, Pnau, Empire of the Sun, several others - as good or even easily better than any of their US/Euro peers.

:up:

australian hip hop is horrendous. the actually unbelievable worship of scribe is all the evidence needed.

this :shudder:

We also are brilliant at producing yukky garage-rock revivalists (Jet, Vines)... and we do other blatant but bland rock revivalist wannabes like Wolfmother and Airbourne REALLY well!!

we do seem to have a fondness for screechy pub rock, yes . . . :shifty: predictably, I am guilty of embracing it :D

Probably the most popular AC/DC tribute band to date.

Never got the fuss over that album, personally.

Booooo!

On youtube, have a listen (it's split into parts) to 'Gimix'. It's basically a massively extended version of Since I Left You that was released as a promo, from memory, nearly a year before the album. Contains loads of extras that either just didn't make, or weren't given clearance for, the album. But really it's Since I Left You merged with or blown out into a huge mix tape. I actually have one of the few hundred copies that were distributed at the time.

It is, simply, un-fucking-believable.

They used thousands of samples on the album, but didn't keep the best of records as they were going. It took them months to do what they could in terms of clearance - plenty was rejected - but there was lots they couldn't remember/account for. They basically released the album with a message "If you hear your work on here... apologies, we did try... give us a call!"

Also, live, they were incredible.

There is a new Avalanches album that has been forever delayed. There have been some key line up changes though. I don't really have the highest hopes of it ever being seen, let alone being anywhere near as good.

i've been to listen to that album for ages... is it the same thing as DJ Shadow's Endtroducing? an album made entirely out of samples?

and yeah, it's been delayed for years, a bit like Dr Dre's Detox... :(

i've been to listen to that album for ages... is it the same thing as DJ Shadow's Endtroducing? an album made entirely out of samples?

Since I Left You? Mostly, yes. 95%+ purely samples - thousands of samples - with some 'live' instrumentation created and recorded to add some glue to some of it. But everything initially created and built off samples - many of the tracks only samples.

Electricity - I *think* purely from memory (might be wrong), the bass part in this is their own creation, the rest is sampled.

YouTube - The Avalanches - Electricity

While Frontier Psychiatrist though is purely samples:

YouTube - The Avalanches - 'Frontier Psychiatrist'

Live, they performed as a band, playing 'that' guitar sample or drum part, or whatever, live over the top of the rest of it via the DJ. They were pretty manic on stage too. The start of their sort of downfall, or slide away, came from their lead guy breaking his leg twice on stage, delaying touring of Since I Left You, effectively, forever.

Gimix is pretty much a straight mix tape. But brilliant. In 2010, this seems perfectly normal, but in 1999, something as varied as this was still pretty unique and mind blowing. Which I think was the point of bringing up the Avalanches in this thread, questioning the outside-Australia-merits of Australian music. They were - internationally - mind blowing at the time. Since I Left You got them a 9.5 from Pitchfork, and was recently in their Top 10 of the decade. Not bad.

It was, yes, like DJ Shadow, taken to what was seen as an extreme level both in terms of effort and quality on the album, and just the massively fun quality of mixes like this.

YouTube - The Avalanches - Gimix (part 3/5)

dan, that is happening all the time and it's disgusting. i want to vomit every time i see teens like that. it is horrible to sit on a train and see/hear teens who don't give a fuck.

one thing that has become painfully obvious to me as i watched the news tonight - we need to become a republic fast. i would rather gouge my eye out with a rusty nail than hear another bit of news about Prince William getting married.

and Packed to the Rafters anyone??

i cried as well, but that was at the acting. Kleenex would have made a fucking killing.

the show used Fix You in an episode, it's now #11 in the top 50, some five years after it was released :happy:

Enter casual radio listeners ...

"I LOVE this song, who's it by it's so beautiful :heart:"

dan, that is happening all the time and it's disgusting. i want to vomit every time i see teens like that. it is horrible to sit on a train and see/hear teens who don't give a fuck.

One of the reasons why I consider teenagers to be the arsehole of humanity.

I hate to be grouped in with these bastards. I feel so different from them.

By the way, that bogan makes the female bogans at my school very, very tame and inoffensive in comparison.

one thing that has become painfully obvious to me as i watched the news tonight - we need to become a republic fast. i would rather gouge my eye out with a rusty nail than hear another bit of news about Prince William getting married.

:up: though a republic won't undermine the celebrity of the members of the Royal Family. We'd still hear about it in Australia. Celebrity is all they're "good" for.

We need to become a Republic more for symbolic reasons (ie. rejection of Privilege based on who your mum and dad are and who your great great great great great great great grandfather was, rejection of the shameful consequences of British Imperialism)

That video could be from the Frankston line in Melbourne, though they have much nicer trains in Sydney it seems.

I stopped watching that video at 1:19 . . . :crack: . . . it just made me sad :sigh:

and Packed to the Rafters ~ never watched an episode, ever . . . do I get a gold star :wink:

I am, however, guilty of watching other quality programming that loosely falls under the guise of 'entertaining' . . . sat through an episode of 'Beauty and the Geek' this past week . . . favourite line / moment . . . 'Beauty' pulls a Darth Vader mask out of a mud pool (see, quality right there people, I tell ya :p ) . . . and casually mentions that she thinks 'this movie is based on a true story' . . . :gah: :lol:

Beauty and the Geek is probably the best reality/trash TV show ever.

the first series was fucking awesome.

there was another show... it only had one series, it was called "My Big Fat Obnoxious Greek Wedding" and this girl had to convince her family she was marrying this ignorant, obnoxious, fat slob for $1m. very funny

I can't believe that Warnie is getting his own talk show. What is this I don't even.

Yes Cobl, Beauty & The Geek would win the prize for best trash tv by a collagen lipped mile :p . . . I will confess I giggled and have a small kernel of curiosity to see who will win ~ hublet is, like you, convinced that it is televisual gold :lol:

as for Warne . . . WHUT???? . . .:scream: . . . I saw a fleeting glimpse on Tracey Grimshaws beacon of journalistic integrity the other night and thought he was just a guest reporter . . . jaysus wept . . . will I start the arguement about how insanely talented sportspeople (because he was / is undoubtedly a crazy clever cricket mind and player) are forgiven any number of sins . . . nope, shall just go stand in the corner and beat head against brick wall . . .:banghead: . . .will I watch, probably one episode ~ with my fingers crossed tightly that it is a woeful mess . . . :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom