Let's talk about Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Melbs for 5 years and will be going back there to live after 2011, which is going to be great. I believe Victoria has it all, you've got the great cosmopolitan city, beautiful beaches like Torquay, stunning rainforest up near Dandenong, farmlands in Gippsland, awesome bushland and walks in the Grampains, the gorgeous Great Oceans Road, snow in the mountains and the spa/mineral springs country around Daylesford!

Yay Victoria! :rockon: We are rather spoiled here in Melbourne :D

I absolutely cringe at the thought that Tony Abbott might actually end up our Prime Minister :no:

Don't care for World Cup or soccer in general. I guess it would be nice if we got it.

Don't watch much TV in general, but I was totally hooked on MasterChef this season.

Heres a question, if someone was coming to Australia for a holiday, what places other than the 'traditional' touristy places would you suggest visiting?

Don't know if this is considered to be a traditional touristy place (at least I only learned about it from working for a travel company), but I'd recommend The Kimberley region in Western Australia to anyone. It's a beautiful, rugged, truly remote place. Kangaroo Island in South Australia is also a great place to visit, if you like natural sights, beaches, weird rock formations and wildlife like seals.

Well I am very much looking forward to coming home. Have been living in London for just over a year and heading home at the end of the month!
Will be voting at the embassy next week when the booths open. I cannot bear to think about living in a society where Tony Abbott is our Prime Minister! However I'm still not impressed at the constant implosions in the Labour party, and feel the whole ousting of Rudd was wrong!

Don't watch home grown TV because frankly we produce a hell of a lot of shit, and the only things they show over here is Neighbours and Home and Away... no thanks!

Heres a question, if someone was coming to Australia for a holiday, what places other than the 'traditional' touristy places would you suggest visiting?

:wave:

Newcastle.

Above all others, definately Newcastle.

Some of the buildings may be old and run down, but there are no better beaches in the world, and the people are all fantastic

Australia 2022 will be huge, and bigger than Sydney 2000.

It will be very different. Will be a bigger global event, for sure. Will be bigger in that it will be spread all over Australia, and involving more/most of the country is a great thing. For a bunch of reasons it will bring in many more visitors too. But the single city focus of the Olympics, single destination for visitors, and many, many ‘events’ (whether formal Olympic events or otherwise) all over the city at any one time, makes it far more of a focused, all encompassing event. Turns every corner of a city into a festival. The World Cup will spread its love wide, so no one place will be as ‘on’ as a city during the Olympics. By that I mean, say, Adelaide will get a few WC games, which will be huge, but as an ‘event’ that city will experience not even 5% of what Sydney had during the Olympics. That’s not better or worse, just a different beast. But yes, in all measurable ways (money, audience, visitors etc), the World Cup will be a bigger event.

As for the election, if Australia is stupid enough to elect Tony Abbott then, really… no words.

Generally everyone is heading to Sydney, most to Melbourne, and a lot to northern QLD anyway. So I usually just try and push them to take the time and make the effort to head west - Perth is fantastic and the Margaret River area is the best part of the country.

In NSW, I think the South Coast is almost still a bit of a secret. Most people drive north, but fly south. Plenty of amazing places on the NSW South Coast, and they're pretty much empty/undeveloped, unlike the North Coast. And a lot of the North Coast is same/same, while the South Coast changes quite a bit all the way down. Do something different and drive the South Coast to Melbourne, rather than the North Coast to Brisbane.

Within Sydney, it actually annoys me that so many people, whether they are interstate or international visitors, make the massive mistake of just doing a weekend, based in a CBD hotel, and only wandering around that area. Wander the CBD, the harbour around there, maybe over to Darling Harbour or something - massive waste of time. Sydney is absolutely not a CBD city. That place is dead outside of 9-5 on weekdays. Sydney probably has the worst/least active CBD area in Australia. It is nothing. We never go there for anything. I always tell people to get the hell out of the CBD as soon as possible. Don't even go there if there's no pressing need. Sydney is also not a focused city, i.e. you can't just point someone to one good area to eat, or to drink, or whatever. You need to tailor advice based on taste.

Tasmania is pretty cool. Hobart is an awesome city,plenty do see & do.

Head over to Strahan, do a Gordon River cruise (or even better a sea plane flight over where the Gordon-below-Franklin Dam was going to be)

Up to Cradle Mountain for a couple of great day walks & finish in Launceston & the Tamar Valley wines.

(OK I'm just back from there)

sydney gets crapped on way too much here, unsurprising given how many victorians are here though :wink:

for my experience, the central and south coasts of nsw are fantastic. i've been to the central coast more recently than the south coast, but i remember being fond of the south coast.

the blue mountains, katoomba in particular are pretty nice parts of the world. it's great that you don't have to get too far out of town before it feels like you're in frontier country.

Sapphire (South) Coast of NSW is rather decent, Merimbula/Tathra/Eden etc

Wilson's Prom is beautiful too....

Tasmania is pretty cool. Hobart is an awesome city,plenty do see & do.

Head over to Strahan, do a Gordon River cruise (or even better a sea plane flight over where the Gordon-below-Franklin Dam was going to be)

Up to Cradle Mountain for a couple of great day walks & finish in Launceston & the Tamar Valley wines.

(OK I'm just back from there)

semi-decent distilleries in Tassie too.... Combine those and the southern victorian ones you could almost add Australian Whiskey to the list of decently regarded world whiskeys (obviously encompassing scotch, irish, bourbon, tennessee, canadian)

sydney gets crapped on way too much here, unsurprising given how many victorians are here though :wink:
this time next month we'll be there
swoon.gif

so why is Abbott leading the polls?!?!?!?!?!?

In the spirit of the election:

YouTube - 'The ABC Late Show' - ABC TV Australia.

That is all for now
i've long since lost count of the amount of times i've watched this.
Newcastle.

Above all others, definately Newcastle.

Some of the buildings may be old and run down, but there are no better beaches in the world, and the people are all fantastic
you've obviously never been to Werribee South beach mate :wink:
i.e. you can't just point someone to one good area to eat, or to drink

i've heard a place called "scubar" is pretty good?

for my experience, the central and south coasts of nsw are fantastic. i've been to the central coast more recently than the south coast, but i remember being fond of the south coast.

the blue mountains, katoomba in particular are pretty nice parts of the world. it's great that you don't have to get too far out of town before it feels like you're in frontier country.

ditto all of this . . . although I agree that the CBD is an absolute waste of time outside of business hours . .. a bloody shame really as it could be much more vibrant with a modicum of effort . . . the south coast is glorious :yes: and the mountains are always a pleasure (but best avoided in the midst of summer :yuck: ) . . . I adore the very north coast as well . . . byron bay is bliss . . . outside of high season . . . bangalow is nirvana . . . beautiful food, beautiful people, gorgeous hinterland . . . but again, I stress, outside of tourist season when it becomes a mecca for schoolies :yikes:

here is my idea of paradise . . . the pass . . . opposite main beach in byron . . . kind of hidden away but glorious . . . although my photographic *skills* don't really do it justice, but I love it here :cute:

Picture081.jpg

this time next month we'll be there
swoon.gif

:shifty: :wave: :)

so why is Abbott leading the polls?!?!?!?!?!?

oh this :scream:

as for the World Cup . . . bring it :drool:

the Grampians are also really cool. we used to stay at Halls Gap a lot, they have a huge caravan park that blends into the surrounding fields, with no fence, so you can go exploring and you get kangaroos coming up to the cabins and shit.

great place to be apart from the beach in summer.

and i am desperately, desperately hoping Roy & HG will be all over it.

YouTube - ‪The Dream: Roy and HG on Eric 'The Eel' Moussambani‬‎

also feel free to talk about anything Australia, those were just some dumb questions that came to my head.

fuckoffwerefull-300x225.jpg

that the type of thing you're talking about...

i have a "friend" who constantly invites me to join the "fuck off we're full" group on facebook.

they tend to honour the dead over there in Australia too- literally! by dead it means they live on - as ghosts!

they dress like the ghosts (white apparel) in their honour:

Ku-Klux-Klan.jpg

i've heard a place called "scubar" is pretty good?

:huh:

Wait, are you joking? It's just a popular bar for backpackers, underneath a huge hostel next to Central Station. There's nothing good about it - complete dive - although it is permanently packed with trashed backpackers, who umm, can be a bit carefree with their affections, if that's what you're after.

:huh:

Wait, are you joking? It's just a popular bar for backpackers, underneath a huge hostel next to Central Station. There's nothing good about it - complete dive - although it is permanently packed with trashed backpackers, who umm, can be a bit carefree with their affections, if that's what you're after.

a mate of mine (same age) went there with his TAFE class, he had a blast. said they had decent music, cheap drinks, entertaining things to do inside, and of course, that side of it. we were thinking about making a trip up to Sydney Cup weekend.

:) . . . you really should try and get up there . . . you can fly in to the gold coast and it's about an hours drive along the new highway . . . we usually drive . . . from sydney its 11.5 hours . . . hoping to get back there early january for a bit of chill time :cute:

you know what's actually not a bad show? the 7pm Project. i can actually put up with Dave Hughes.

Yeah, don't mind it either . . . tis actually a show that me and my 3 ratbags watch together . . . its a good starting point to get them interested in the news of the day and Dave doesn't annoy me here because he isn't shouting as much these days . . . being a daddy has chilled him a modicum . . . the doctor dude does my head in though :crack:

Australia:

Great females. :up:

129115.jpg

UK at night.

the first bit . . . naturally :wink: . . . the 2nd bit . . . please explain <confused>

ps . . . you thought I was american :ohmy: . . . it's this upside down body clock of mine :) . . . and I think you'll find there would be a number of our US compatriats who would be disappointed in a remake of the dragon girl trilogy too :D . . . my :twocents:

the first bit . . . naturally :wink: . . . the 2nd bit . . . please explain <confused>

ps . . . you thought I was american :ohmy: . . . it's this upside down body clock of mine :) . . . and I think you'll find there would be a number of our US compatriats who would be disappointed in a remake of the dragon girl trilogy too :D . . . my :twocents:

That flag, it's like the UK flag and the stars make it look like it's the night. I know, it's pretty stupid, random, pointless. :der:

Yeah, you're usually online at the same time as the North Americans. And I thought that as well, but still, a lot of people are up for the remakes, and they wouldn't be doing them if they were so against the idea in the first place right?

:) ah, I see

and yes, I have a wonky body clock . . . early early morning here is the only time I can put the mummy hat on the shelf . . . evenings are for the fam :) . . . although I do miss hanging out with the aussie/nz posse . . . they're a fine ole bunch :)

and as for the re-make . . . the only reason they are being made is to fill the coffers of the studios . . . which is a shame . . . I know it's not a new thing, and I know that I have seen my fair share of european films that have been remade but still . . . these films aren't broken and it's a shame that the movie studios aren't willing to invest a little more of their advertising budgets in them . . . <this should really be in the movie thread> :wink:

back on topic

robertson . . . in the southern highlands is gorgeous . . . teeny tiny little place famous for potatoes, and nathan hindmarsh (random rugby league reference) . . . great pub, gorgeously converted ex - cheese factory that now houses quirky little shops . . . close to farms and near enough to Bowral so that if you need a 'city fix' you can get one . . . could easily be a day trip but best to spend at least a weekend :)

:) ah, I see

and yes, I have a wonky body clock . . . early early morning here is the only time I can put the mummy hat on the shelf . . . evenings are for the fam :) . . . although I do miss hanging out with the aussie/nz posse . . . they're a fine ole bunch :)

and as for the re-make . . . the only reason they are being made is to fill the coffers of the studios . . . which is a shame . . . I know it's not a new thing, and I know that I have seen my fair share of european films that have been remade but still . . . these films aren't broken and it's a shame that the movie studios aren't willing to invest a little more of their advertising budgets in them . . . <this should really be in the movie thread> :wink:

back on topic

robertson . . . in the southern highlands is gorgeous . . . teeny tiny little place famous for potatoes, and nathan hindmarsh (random rugby league reference) . . . great pub, gorgeously converted ex - cheese factory that now houses quirky little shops . . . close to farms and near enough to Bowral so that if you need a 'city fix' you can get one . . . could easily be a day trip but best to spend at least a weekend :)

Do you ever get to sleep?

By the way... The flag remark isn't part of my material. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld the one who said that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom