Let's talk about Australia. - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #841
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Judging by some of the conversations I've heard, many immigrants aren't overly fond of asylum-seekers either.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #842
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:27 AM
People have moved around since we began as a species. People seriously need to build a bridge and get the fuck over it. Plus, where is the pride in our country helping these relative few?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
I'm an immigint.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #844
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
People have moved around since we began as a species. People seriously need to build a bridge and get the fuck over it. Plus, where is the pride in our country helping these relative few?
exactly.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
Judging by some of the conversations I've heard, many immigrants aren't overly fond of asylum-seekers either.
Very true. This should go without saying since we're all fallible humans, but it's worth mentioning that it's not just the Skip majority that needs to learn a thing or two about basic human rights. I know for a fact that a lot of migrants from other African nations don't take kindly to the Sudanese, frequently blaming them for giving other Africans a bad rap and so worth, and one of the most racist guys I know is a gay Indian.

But yeah, Anna is exactly right.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #846
Vocal parasite

Oh man, some of the comments I've heard from Indians about their fellow Indians from other parts of the country, let alone any other subcontinent country - there are horrid racists in Frankston who WISH they'd thought of that material.

But yeah, what Anna said. What I especially don't understand is the massive furore about boat people when the vast majority of illegal migration occurs via plane and people overstaying their visas. You don't see a huge moral panic about that!

And if you're really so worried about it not because you're a racist but because you're concerned about population growth (pull the other one), then stop having children! As the Chaser so hilariously pointed out, the amount of boat people is just a tiny fraction of the number of "womb people" coming into this country every year without any security checks. They could be ANYBODY! And they're going to leech off our health and education systems for 18+ years!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #847
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:27 AM
i daresay the most racist person towards asians i've ever known was a japanese girl who grew up in rotorua.

it was like a comedy routine...except mostly serious.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #848
45:33

some of my tradie mates have said that some Pakistanis look down on Indians.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #849
Vocal parasite

Probably one of the most racist guys I've ever met was this guy who went to my high school who was born on New Caledonia. Grew up in Australia and everything, but by god did he hate the French with a passion. You couldn't make a "lol the french always surrender" joke around him without being subjected to a lengthy rant about the bloody French.

He couldn't care less about where anybody else was from. He just had it in for France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
some of my tradie mates have said that some Pakistanis look down on Indians.
That may be putting it mildly, and it goes both ways.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #850
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What I especially don't understand is the massive furore about boat people when the vast majority of illegal migration occurs via plane and people overstaying their visas. You don't see a huge moral panic about that!
I think it's just down to the imagery. Asylum seekers arriving on a plane in a mix of regular passengers or people overstaying their visas while being scattered among the population just doesn't create the same dramatic effect as a boat full of asylum seekers. Though in realistic terms it's obviously ridiculous, I think that the boats create an impression of "invasion", especially to an island nation like Australia.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #851
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
yeah, that's just about the least surprising cross-border example or serious dislike around. the english and the french get along better than the indians and pakistanis.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #852
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver

Yeah? I had no idea. I think I knew they weren't best mates, but was there a war or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene
I think that the boats create an impression of "invasion", especially to an island nation like Australia.
This is a really good point and probably explains why it invokes such fierce reactions in some people.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
I invaded Australia.

Problem?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #854
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You and whose army?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #855
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Yeah? I had no idea. I think I knew they weren't best mates, but was there a war or something?
The formation of Pakistan (out of India) was messy, to say the least - the mass slaughter of tens of thousands of people will always leave a bad taste in the mouth. Since then through to today - on the surface at least - it's territorial disputes and skirmishes based around the Kashmir region. They've got dozens of nuclear weapons pointed at each other, and it is considered the 'hottest' nuclear standoff in the world, in terms of the likelihood of it actually kicking off in that way. I'd say there are very few countries who hate each other more.