Let's Celebrate All Things- Dino! YIPPIE! (dinosaurs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
wanting to set this up for a bit

(slowly doing a digital colored drawing of a not super-accurate "Brontosaurus" between several other projects) ( will relook up proper name - bronto is what I learned)

APATOSAURUS is now the correct name
(thanks alisaurus :D >

some of you might seen news for a newly discovered dinosaur "nicknamed" Titantosaurus. From size of the femur (thigh bone) they're curreently estimating it's about 7 stories high, about 130 feet long, and around 100 tons (whether that's USA short tons, or long tons or a third ton term :huh::lol: < looked up last week on my conversion chart>

Further down in this article (? Christian Science Monitor) was this other interesting discovery>>>

But paleontologists in Argentina weren't just talking about large dinosaurs this week.

They found also the first evidence that long-necked, whip-tailed diplodocid sauropods survived well beyond the Jurassic period. The Associated Press reported that Pablo Gallina, a researcher at Buenos Aires' Maimonides University, described the find as the first definitive evidence that diplodocids reached South America, and the most recent geologic record of this branch of sauropod anywhere.

Gallina's team says the fossils show that diplodocids roamed South America during the early Cretaceous era, well after scientists thought these kinds of dinosaurs became extinct. They also suggest that the diplodocid clade, or family group, evolved from other dinosaurs before the Earth's continents split apart, which is earlier than previously thought.

"Diplodocids were never certainly recognized from the Cretaceous or in any other southern land mass besides Africa," the authors wrote. "The new discovery represents the first record of a diplodocid for South America and the stratigraphically youngest record of this clade anywhere."

Paleobiologist Paul Upchurch at University College London, a sauropod expert who was not involved in the study, said it suggests that not all diplodocids succumbed to a mass extinction about 140 million years ago at the end of the Jurassic period.

Another expert, paleontologist John Whitlock of Mount Aloysius College in Pennsylvania, also lauded the finding.

"A discovery like this is more than just another data point. It's a chance to re-evaluate our understanding of how the group spread across the globe through time," he said

The Total Era of dinosaurs on Earth (except for our fine-feathered freinds... the birdies)
is called the Mesozoic.

There are 3 Ages witin this time period

earliest> Triassic: 245 - 208 Million yrs ago

middle> Jurassic 208 - 145 Million years ago

lastest/last> Creataceous 145 - 66 Million yrs ago

I amlost typed up "jurassic _____ (park) instead! :lol:

a fav cartoon among dino fans is a gary Larson
"the Real Reason the Dinosaurs Went Extinct"

he drew them all smoking..... it's pretty cute

Ray Bradbury wrote a book about them, too. I gave it as a gift once.

thanks TSP!

Funny and fascinating ideas and as an artist very interesting to see different perhaps possible variations.
And reverse possiblities (and that real mistake) iof reinterpitating current animals. Ha I thought the swans were turkeys.

and while rereading quick division of the 3 ages---- i didn't know that ....
1 in the Trassic the continents were still in their Super Continent Pangea ( which i knew about but somehow thought had begun splitting up) original phase

2 by 2nd Jurrasic started to separate into the 2 still massive continents

3 By last Creatatious the shapes of our known now continents were forming but had yet moved into thier more or less current positions today.

Back
Top Bottom