laser eye surgery - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:45 AM
laser eye surgery

Hi there,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I am wondering if anyone here has had laser eye surgery. I have finally (almost) convinced myself that I am ready and would love to hear some experiences.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:45 AM
I have not had it, but I would like to get it.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 AM
My friend had it and she has great distance vision but it destroyed her close vision so now she needs reading glasses.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

My dad had horrible eyesight his whole life (-7.5 prescription in both eyes) and had laser eye surgery in January. He says he can see absolutely perfectly, better than 20/20 at long distances and up close. He's 55 years old and doesn't even need reading glasses anymore. I'm going to get it as soon as I have the money put aside.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 AM
My mom got it done almost 10 years ago, when she was 50. She needs reading glasses occasionally now, but otherwise her vision is perfect, and she always raves about how awesome it is to have perfect vision after wearing glasses for most of her life. She was the first person in our family to get it done. My dad can't have it done because he's had cornea transplants and other major eye issues, otherwise he definitely would have done it.

I've had the money set aside for this for years, and am still a bit too chicken to get it done. My doctor says I should be a good candidate in about 2 years time. The thought of lasers coming anywhere near my eyes freaks me out, but this is something I do probably want. I'm too scared right now, but maybe some day in the future I'll be able to get up the nerve to get it done. It would be SO nice to not have to wear glasses!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Refugee

I had it done about 10 years ago. My prescription was - 4/-4.5 I think, and I'm virtually 20/20 now. And I've seen no change since the surgery. The best money I ever spent. It's probably payed for itself in contacts and lens solutions.

I do have questions about my night vision, as I've noticed that I can't see as well as other people in low light, but I didn't notice any change between before/after the surgery. It's just something I've noticed in the last couple of years, usually when riding with someone and trying to read street signs. So I may have always had bad night vision, or there may have been a slow, unnoticeable deterioration. Regardless, it's not something I feel is a hindrance.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I don't know all the details but my mum got it about 10 years ago, and she's been fine since. Only needs glasses while driving at night, I think.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
The Fly

Thanks for the responses...I think I'll go for it
Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I had it done about 10 years ago. My prescription was - 4/-4.5 I think, and I'm virtually 20/20 now. And I've seen no change since the surgery. The best money I ever spent. It's probably payed for itself in contacts and lens solutions.

I do have questions about my night vision, as I've noticed that I can't see as well as other people in low light, but I didn't notice any change between before/after the surgery. It's just something I've noticed in the last couple of years, usually when riding with someone and trying to read street signs. So I may have always had bad night vision, or there may have been a slow, unnoticeable deterioration. Regardless, it's not something I feel is a hindrance.
Sounds like me, I'm a -4.5 right now (I get about -.25 worse each year) and would love to have it done, especially if it worked for you!

I also have trouble seeing as well at night so I avoid driving at night and if I have to, I go routes that I'm very familiar with.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:45 AM
I've not been around here in ages

I had LASIK surgery 12 years ago and my vision is now 20/20. Seriously one of the best decisions that I've made. The only drawback that I have is that my eyes are drier and slightly more light sensitive so I'm constantly in sunglasses with renew tear bottles everywhere. I don't have any issues with night vision at all. The procedure has become much easier to tolerate than when I had it from what my MD says.

My advise is to find a MD who openly can tell you how many of this kind of surgery they have performed and if they can see you after the inital follow up if need be. They might even have contact numbers to talk to past patients about the procedure. There also needs to be an extensive preoperative phase to see if you are a candidate for the procedure (I was in the office for about 4 hours). My MD still has me come in for visits and if I have any problems I can always contact him. Some of the bigger companies who offer this kind of surgery don't always do anything else but LASIK and do not see patients after the postoperative phase.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 05:45 AM
My dad had it about 10 years ago after wearing glasses most of his life. He did have to have it "retouched" a little after the initial surgery, but he no longer needs glasses for distance (and his vision was very bad). He does need reading glasses. He is very happy with the result. If I had the money, I would love to have it done.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Sounds like me, I'm a -4.5 right now (I get about -.25 worse each year) and would love to have it done, especially if it worked for you!
One thing to note: I know my doctor wanted candidates to have vision that had stabilized for at least a year - maybe longer, I don't exactly remember. So you may not be a candidate (yet) if your vision is still changing. But that's something you could get cleared up pretty quickly if you're looking into it. Good luck! In my experience, it's worth being patient for.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
The Fly

Well I booked my consultation appt for April 16.. I am going to Lasik MD in North York. I am freaking out!!! However, I was told that the procedure takes 12 seconds per eye Now all I need to do is wait (impatiently) !!!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
The Fly

So I am having surgery in on May 6.....very excited and very nervous...going to be a long two weeks
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:45 AM
good luck ulove2!!