Job Interviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennyLanePHINS

Refugee
Have one coming up (first real one), and looking at some sample general questions that could come up...do they all ask the dreaded question "What can you tell us about yourself?"

How do you answer a question like that? Seems so open ended.

Congrats on the interview! :up:

Yes, most of the interviews I've had have asked me that kind of a question. I've been on a lot of interviews lately, so that question has come up a fair bit.

Generally it comes up after the job-specific questions and it's near the end of the interview, so at that point they're truly wanting to know more about you as a person and what will set you apart from the other candidates. It definitely can be a very open ended question, so I'll often tell them about myself as it relates to work to start off with. If they mentioned a quality earlier on in the interview as something they're looking for in an employee, and that's a quality I possess, I'll make a point of telling them how awesome I am in that respect. Then I'll often tell them a few personal things about myself that I think might interest them. For example, I'll mention that I have my own website, so it shows that I'm computer/internet savvy and entrepreneurial. Just be yourself and tell them some of the great qualities/skills you have, and that will be good. There might be follow up questions as a result of what you've said.

Good luck! :)

This is your "impact statement" to win them over in all terms not necessarily work related. For instance; you run the youth organization at your church, you organized a charity drive that was successful in providing toys to 100 needy children at Christmas, you were successful in the spaying and neutering of over 50 pets in your town, etc.

Or you could be a little more down to earth, you are a dedicated husband/wife and mother/father to XXX and you are proud of your children, puppy, flower / vegetable garden, or maybe you just enjoy drinking coffee on the porch and watching the sunrise in the mornings, etc.

I think its not necessarily what you say here....but how you say it...that helps you..IMHO. If you have confidence, a warm but confident smile, it will show them you are comfortable with yourself and yet you are not overly cocky but just enough that you have the goods to absolutely kill for them and represent them well in the process.

I typically didn't know what the hell i was talking about in interviews, but i was confident enough that i was able to bullshit my way through it with all of those magical elements like posture, eye contact, conviction in my voice, etc. One time i even went to an interview for a promotion that i really didn't want, i was going through the motions for the experience, i told the managers in that department that "i really didnt like long meetings". They exchanged glances, this job was well known for long drawn out meetings with upper management, i thought to myself there's no way i get the offer. I was shocked later on to find out they wanted me, apparently they appreciated my honesty. <- i would not recommend saying that.....however!

Interestingly enough, when i was the one conducting interviews, i often found myself looking for someone a little bit like...me. Anyone could be trained to do the job...i wanted someone with the balls to not just do the job....i wanted someone willing to part the sea and shoot the moon if necessary.

Just my opinions though....every situation is kinda different....im sure you will do fine. :hug:

Haha good story. I think I might talk about making the dean's list in college and my degree and my website, probably the easiest.

I guess I just hope I don't stumble over my words or create an awkward silence. It's not like a law firm or anything, seems like a place with a fun atmosphere, but I guess i'll find out.

Oh and I hope short answers are okay, I don't tend to talk for too long.

Sounds like you have some good stuff. I wouldn't worry as much about the short answers as long as you are fully confident about what you are saying.

IF its a fun and relaxed atmosphere then that's all the better. Im sure you will do fine.

Remember that a lot of times the person(s) conducting the interview are often as anxious as the person being interviewed.

:up:

It wasn't too bad, I was more comfortable in the end asking my questions.

I did catch myself saying "Um" and "Like" a few times...:doh: Hope they didn't mind haha.

Oh and now for the thank you letter...anything I should include?

Should I attempt to write something funny or mention that I was nervous or stay away from joking about it?

Just keep it simple - thank them for the interview and express why you'd like to work for them. No jokes, and don't mention anything about your nerves. Most people are nervous in interviews. They either noticed it or didn't, but there's no need to bring that up. Just be professional and polite. Keep it pretty short too.

Thanks, keeping it simple and had a friend check it.

I did forget to mention something in the interview that I might want to make a note of in it though. For example, they asked about any up and coming social media that might be useful for the company, and I wanted to mention Foursquare, but forgot. I mentioned that myspace was making a comeback, but FS would have been much better to use as an example.

^good luck! ^:)

I have a telephone interview coming up next week....
I have no idea how this works. :/
I only had one interview on the phone...and this one you can't really consider as a telephone interview, this was my ex boss trying to convice me to come and work for his company hahaaaa!

I haven't had a telephone interview yet...hope I don't ever, I'm awful on the phone, I hate not being able to see someone who is judging me! I don't see how a phone interview helps.

Back
Top Bottom