Jimmy V FEST II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I want to personally invite any blue crack addict to the fund raiser I will be putting together. It should be a great event...the show raised 4K last year and we have a great line up. If you like U2, you will absolutely love these bands....:up:

vfest.jpg

The V Foundation for Cancer Research Presents
THE 2ND ANNUAL JIMMY V FEST

The Musical Quest To Cure Cancer
Featuring The Music Of Colourslide, Stepanian, & No Second Troy

SEPTEMBER 26, 2009 | Bleachers – Bristol, CT | 7 p.m.

BRISTOL, CT – The V Foundation for Cancer Research, founded by the late, great Jimmy Valvano and ESPN, is proud to announce the arrival of The 2nd Annual Jimmy V Fest, a musical quest to raise awareness and help find a cure for cancer. The event is slated for Saturday, September 26, 2009 at Bleachers in Bristol (300 Middle St.) at 7 p.m.

Individuals who come to support this amazing cause will enjoy a very special evening of live musical performances from three of the finest independent bands in the Northeast – Colourslide, Stepanian and No Second Troy – together for the first time on one stage. Admission is just $10 and includes the concert, local business raffles and pizza from Bristol’s own Chucky Tomatoes. 100% of the proceeds go directly to the V Foundation. All funds raised will be donated in the name of Chris Hahn, an ESPN editor who passed away from cancer earlier this year.

“We’re doing this fundraiser because we realize cancer can affect everyone, and this is our unique way of helping to raise money for the Jimmy V foundation,” said ESPN Coordinating Editor Erik Swanson, who co-founded the Jimmy V Fest with Matthew Jason (also a Coordinating Editor at ESPN). “We lost our friend and co-worker, Chris, to cancer this year so as a tribute to our colleague, we thought it would only be fitting to give all of the money earned from the event in his name.

“The music is going to be exceptional. Each band on the bill has its own unique flavor. We both have worked with all three bands before, featuring their music on ESPN projects, and each one is close to scoring a recording deal. Their music makes us think, laugh and sometimes cry, you know? They are extremely enthusiastic and happy about being involved, and we’re honored to have such great guys and musicians be a part of this.”

Hailing from Gainesville, Florida, Colourslide www.colourslide.net has been chosen as the premium unsigned band in the world by Gretsch Guitars as part of the company’s 125th Anniversary celebration and its music has been licensed to ESPN, MTV, Oxygen and E! and reached millions of viewers as a result. Band members Alex Lawhon and Dean Newman won the "Maxell Song of the Year" award in the John Lennon Songwriting contest for penning "Wake Up Call,” which resulted in Billboard magazine featuring the band on the back cover of its August 2, 2009 issue. Colourslide’s sophomore release, Everybody’s Right About Everybody, recorded in L.A. and mixed by legendary producer Jack Joseph Puig, will be released this fall.

Known for its deft blend of catchy melodies, instrumental virtuosity, and expressive lyrics, acclaimed Boston-based quartet Stepanian (Welcome to the Official Stepanian Website) has scored television music placements with ABC Family and ESPN, among others. The band’s remarkable recordings have resulted from successful collaborations with the likes of Chris Keup (Jason Mraz), Stewart Myers (Agents of Good Roots) and Dave Chalfant (The Neilds, Erin McKeown). Led by band namesake, Eric Stepanian, the group’s energetic stage persona, tight vocals and multi-instrumental skills are on display during every live performance (between the four members, they play a dozen instruments). It’s an infectious combination that always leaves audiences on their feet and shouting for more. The band’s most recent critically acclaimed release, Wait Out The Rain, is available now.

Washington D.C.’s No Second Troy (No Second Troy on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads) is on the verge of making the jump to the national stage. The band was recently featured on SPIN Magazine's website for the premiere of their new video for “Into Your Sun,” and its LP Narcotic has garnered critical acclaim nationwide, spending 3 consecutive weeks on CMJ's Top 200 playlist and appearing on ESPN, TMZ.com and XM Radio. Just two weeks after its release, the band was the featured artist of the week on XMU's R/A/D/A/R Report as one of the top unsigned artists in the country. No Second Troy has found a way to blend the pop hooks of bands like Radiohead, Snow Patrol, and Coldplay, with the unique indie-rock arrangements of acts like Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, and Stars. In a recent review, The Washington Post called the songs on Narcotic "as ready for primetime as you will ever hear.”

The spirit of The 2nd Annual Jimmy V Fest could perhaps be summed up best in the words of the passionate and committed former NC State basketball coach and award-winning broadcaster himself – taken from a speech he gave announcing the beginning of The Jimmy V Foundation as he battled cancer in 1993:

“I urge all of you, all of you, to enjoy your life, the precious moments you have. To spend each day with some laughter and some thought, to get you're emotions going. To be enthusiastic every day…Now I look at where I am now and I know what I want to do. What I would like to be able to do is spend whatever time I have left and to give, and maybe, some hope to others…I want to bring (cancer fundraising and awareness) back on the front table. We need your help. I need your help. We need money for research. It may not save my life. It may save my children's lives. It may save someone you love…ESPN has been so kind to support me in this endeavor and allow me to announce tonight that with ESPN's support…we are starting the Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research. And its motto is: "Don't give up, don't ever give up."

About the Jimmy V Foundation:
It has been just 15 years since The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded by ESPN and Jim Valvano. And what significant work has been accomplished during that time! Since 1993, The V Foundation has raised more than $90 million and awarded cancer research grants in 38 states and the District of Columbia. Researchers have developed their laboratories and taken their science from the labs to the clinics with the help of funds raised by The V Foundation. The V Foundation started with the dream of Jim Valvano, the passionate and committed former NC State basketball coach and award-winning broadcaster, as he battled cancer. Wanting to see the battle through to victory, Valvano recruited friends and family to lead The V Foundation in his quest to eradicate the disease that ultimately claimed his life. With a dire need for early developmental, critical-stage grant support, the Foundation was formed to assist the brilliant young researchers that will eventually find cures for cancer. For more information: Welcome to The V Foundation for Cancer Research

Back
Top Bottom