Is it improper etiquette...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think so. I gave my SIL a serving set thing( a dish with bowls) for her birthday. Turns out she really liked it and brought to an Easter party. That's when it got a little scary for me because my Aunt who gave me the dish was there. Ooops. If that's not an issue for you then go for it. I also returned most of my gifts for legit reasons and it paid for everyone's xmas presents that year! Woo for me.

One is a big box of wine glasses. I hate wine, Phil is epileptic and can't drink it. I've never had a glass of wine in my life and don't care to, nor will I be hosting parties to drink wine that I hate and can't afford. The box has been taking up a large portion of space in our pantry for over 2 years.

Another is a salad serving thing. It's hideously ugly (to me, probably a pretty keepsake for someone else) but was pretty expensive (it's coated in silver or something special that is just a pain in the ass b/c it has to be cleaned/shined with special stuff). This is also in a large box taking up space in the pantry.

I have no idea who gave me wine glasses. My uncle gave me the serving set (he's the rich type who will ignore your gift list and buy something flashy like that to show off) and I see him maybe twice a year, never in a context where I would be carrying around expensive servingware. I appreciate the sentiment but why not sell it to someone who has dinner parties and thinks fancy servingware is fabulous?

We are not the wine-tasting-silver-servingware type people, we order pizza or BBQ and drink beer.

...to sell or regift a wedding gift? :shrug:

No, I don't think so. I'm sure you get a lot of stuff that you don't need/want for an occasion like that.

You've been married for a few years now, right? I think most people would have forgotten what they bought for you by now, so I'd say go for it. Try getting rid of what you don't want on Craigslist - I've had great luck selling things through that.

One is a big box of wine glasses. I hate wine, Phil is epileptic and can't drink it. I've never had a glass of wine in my life and don't care to, nor will I be hosting parties to drink wine that I hate and can't afford. The box has been taking up a large portion of space in our pantry for over 2 years.

Another is a salad serving thing. It's hideously ugly (to me, probably a pretty keepsake for someone else) but was pretty expensive (it's coated in silver or something special that is just a pain in the ass b/c it has to be cleaned/shined with special stuff). This is also in a large box taking up space in the pantry.

I have no idea who gave me wine glasses. My uncle gave me the serving set (he's the rich type who will ignore your gift list and buy something flashy like that to show off) and I see him maybe twice a year, never in a context where I would be carrying around expensive servingware. I appreciate the sentiment but why not sell it to someone who has dinner parties and thinks fancy servingware is fabulous?

We are not the wine-tasting-silver-servingware type people, we order pizza or BBQ and drink beer.

sounds like you've got a date with Ebay :up:

Everyone gives wine glasses for wedding gifts-when they can't or don't want to think of anything else. Sometimes you can put candles in them-votives or tea lights.

Neither one is something you could give to charity either

Did you send them thank you cards? That would lessen the guilt a bit :wink:

Sounds like they were really bad gifts. :shrug: In that case just put it online or such. If people are offended, you can just tell them honestly that you really don't know what to do with it and would give it back to them or so?

I hate birthdays for this reason, well my own birthdays. People just do not understand what to give me. I am allergic to liquorice, makes me vomit badly, and ofcourse, someone always gives me that. If they can't think of something, they give me crap gifts like girly things. Wtf? Just give me money or a cd coupon or whatever. :huh:

Everyone gives wine glasses for wedding gifts-when they can't or don't want to think of anything else. Sometimes you can put candles in them-votives or tea lights.

Neither one is something you could give to charity either

Did you send them thank you cards? That would lessen the guilt a bit :wink:

Oh yeah I did my cards like 2 weeks after the wedding.

I just called my mom and she says sell 'em, lol

seinfeld_episode098_337x233_04042_2.jpg

He's a regifter!

From Anna Post with Brides magazine:

Question:
Is it okay to return a wedding gift that we don't want or need? My FMIL's friend sent us beer mugs—the problem is, we don't drink!

Answer:
This reminds me of the doggie bed I received at my wedding. That was 25 years ago—and I still don't have a dog. It's practically a rite of passage for every newly married couple to get a gift or two that is so unsuitable, it just makes you wonder. If you're sure your mother-in-law's friend won't be dropping by your home for an occasion when, presumably, you'd be breaking out the mugs, it's okay to return them to the store or pass them along to a beer drinker who has zero connection to her—after, of course, sending a gracious thank-you note.

Someone gave us this hideous wire bird nest looking bowl thing, it was 2 foot in diameter and it was filled with these twig balls. It was suppose to be some decorative thing for a coffee table or something. It was the ugliest thing we've ever seen, we are both sleek modern people... anyways my mother put this thing in every single garage sale she's had in the last 5 years and it finally sold last month. That thing lasted longer than my marriage...:sad:

Haha, I'm just going over to one of my close friends' places to choose a set of towels (they got 17 sets, no joke) so I would say no.

I always enjoyed going to garage sales on the weekend when I had time, and anytime you hit a new subdivision with young couples, you'd see wedding gifts being sold for pennies, just because they didn't want the clutter. I don't think it's rare at all. And I sure as hell wouldn't be offended if my friend sold that butt effing ugly luggage set I got for her (then again, she picked it so she probably doesn't think it's heinous).

I don't think it's wrong. Sell them and buy yourselves something that you really want. Been a few years since you got married so clearly you aren't getting any use out of these gifts.

Can honestly say that everyone followed along with our registry lists. Did get a cake mix and frosting with a cake dish that I had asked for lol.

you could always claim that you love it so much, you thought it would make a great gift for aomeone else and bought another... :shrug:

If you were on the right continent I would say send the glasses to me. My drunk friends keep on smashing my wine glasses.... :grumpy:

Try smashing the bottle on his head when he does that again. :wink: Might save some glasses!

And I think there'll always be someone who'd love the glasses. :yes: I know I would buy them from you since I need to collect stuff for my own house(very distant future though), but yeah, wrong continent!

^ I hope it isn't too. Hay guyz, who wants a bread machine? :wave:
:drool: if only i didn't already have one!

i seriously have every food appliance available already: blender, ice cream maker, bread maker, veggie steamer, two food processors, stand mixer, hand mixer, toaster/toaster oven, i could go on for a while...

i'm sure someone will give us a blender, despite us not putting any stuff we already own on our registry (unless we're trying to upgrade and get something nicer than we already own) and when it happens, hell yes i'm returning it. no sense in having something sitting around and collecting dust. i feel no shame in returning a gift i've been given or regifting if i know someone who'll absolutely love it. if the person gets offended they're missing the reason behind it, i want to be able to have something i really need. if they'd rather me own something they gave me but i don't need instead of returning it for something i do need, then that's just plain weird imo.

Hell no. If it's not what you want. Re-gift, e-bay it or return. As long as the person who gave it is not in the circle.

Back
Top Bottom