Interference Thread Survivor Match 9: The Longest Shot vs. The Interferers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for The Hive's favorite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Should be a pretty clear winner here. Anyone who was around for the Sing With Me game will agree that it was a fucking classic series and absolutely deserves a spot here for being an essential part of Interference history. That said, there is no one classic thread for it, so it winds up looking pretty unremarkable to those on the outside looking in. Redhill's thread is that terrific blend of insanity and humor that typically results in the best Interference threads.

You are, btw, free to vote for an entire series over a single thread if you so desire. I don't do that, but that doesn't mean you don't have to. The different criteria end up canceling each other out anyway. If you take one thread vs. the other as individual entities, I can't see why you would pick the low seed here, but if you count all of them, the overall contribution to the forum is a great deal higher. I'm actually regretting my vote, but I want to keep consistent with what I've done the whole way through. :nerd:

The Morrissey thread is one of Interference's most batshit moments. I can't help but vote for it.

This is a harder one. I'd imagine there's about a gazillion people who'd never heard of Satellite of Love before U2 did it.

However, the leap across galaxies of logic which followed that simple fact (which in and of itself, leads nowhere) was straight outta the Twilight Zone.

We did also find out that there exists at least one set of circumstances - however bizarre - that would cause cobbler to hop a flight for the sole person of fellating a forum member, so that also propels this one ahead.

Once again, I picked the wrong thread for this. Probably wouldn't have won either way, but this thread is a beast:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...y-interferers-live-the-collection-157007.html

The only problem is that you can't see the songs being made, which was a big part of the fun. They just posted the link in there when the song was done and stuck it onto the webpage. So this would have been a better thread for the poll, but isn't all that fun to read by itself. The first post is all you need.

Interferers seems like it was a lot of fun. Man, where did all those posters go.

I'm gonna have to vote for Redhill though. The absolutely ridiculous original post, followed by the internet being in America, all the jokes, then the truth "becoming self-evident" is just too good.

What the fuck!? I can understand the Sing with Me Game losing, but a blowout like this breaks my heart. Just like with the Oregon trail/Sims threads, I miss doing shit like this.

I mean, the Morrissey thread is one of my favorite threads of all time, but the nostalgia and community that was the Sing With Me game negates all of that, imo.

Didn't I do some boomchas on Discotheque or something? I'd actually forgotten all about the Sing With Me thing before this Survivor came around.

It was certainly a great thread/idea/series. UTEOTW is something quite special. Axver's voice in real life isn't quite so ridiculous though. Some good sincere singing from the Impster before his finish.

Does anyone remember we had a thread once where we rated the hotness of actual Interference members? My mind is twigged because I see fly so high! as one of the singers on UTEOTW, and I seem to recall a lot of intereferencers thinking she was hot. Anyone know what I'm talking about or do I sound like a massive creep?

I wasn't even aware of The Interferers. Pretty cool. And I'm a big fan of Axver's singing voice (specifically his impersonation of basslines).

But the Morrissey thread just might be the favourite thing I've ever read here. I still get back to it pretty often, which is something I don't do with other threads. The sheer idiocy of that guy is unmatched. Nothing comes close to it. Not the psychotic breakdown after the Liechtenstein thing, not the Atlanta, Germany thread, not the "I know people" one. It's just fascinating to see the guy being desperately defensive and digging himself a bigger and bigger hole, culminating in the Internet being in America. Cobbler's disbelief and the bloke's insistence that he has to respond to every single post with either an idiotic comeback or a waving smiley are priceless. Not to mention the threads that came afterwards that are also hilarious, because he simply cannot let it go:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/rating-rate-the-song-threads-213376.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/kid-in-a-candy-store-rte-opens-their-vaults-214278.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/has-bono-ever-publicly-apologized-for-anything-214023.html

Fuck. I didn't remember the Morrissey thread well enough. I wasn't around as much then.
But wow that was so bad. So incredibly bad. I change my vote. Oh me, oh my.

Something I don't think I ever mentioned pertaining to that Morrissey thread is that I saw Moz play Satellite of Love a few months later, and before he began the song, he specifically stated that it was an homage to Lou Reed. I should have had my tape recorder ready.

I also love how by the end of the thread, redhill's argument has essentially become that Morrissey is aware of U2's existence. :lol:

Fuck. I didn't remember the Morrissey thread well enough. I wasn't around as much then.
But wow that was so bad. So incredibly bad. I change my vote. Oh me, oh my.

I'll change it manually for the next thread. An offish 11-1 drubbing for redhill here.

I'll change it manually for the next thread. An offish 11-1 drubbing for redhill here.

Seeing as this is a horrible blowout, I suppose you don't really need to. I guess I ought to read both threads, and not just go based on memory, before voting from here on out.

Something I don't think I ever mentioned pertaining to that Morrissey thread is that I saw Moz play Satellite of Love a few months later, and before he began the song, he specifically stated that it was an homage to Lou Reed. I should have had my tape recorder ready.

I also love how by the end of the thread, redhill's argument has essentially become that Morrissey is aware of U2's existence. :lol:

One thing I've noticed afterwards... There are a couple of posters who are defending him in terms that it wasn't such a stretch to think that Satellite of Love was a nod to U2 in general. Which is fair enough I guess. There are probably U2 fans out there who associate it first and foremost with ZooTV.

Except the initial argument was that this was a nod to an obscure interview with Adam Clayton where he stated that U2 will play more 90s songs at Glastonbury. Which is slightly different. And about ninety times more hilarious.

Absolutely can see an artist covering SOL and meaning to do it as a nod to U2...maybe that's all they know of the tune. But that's all. No further hidden meaning. Period!

As for Morissey, it makes way more sense that he'd be paying homage to Lou Reed. Something tells me he'd probably not pay homage to any musician or band who he would consider at best, a peer, and more likely, beneath him. He's a bit of a snob that way..

If someone was going to pay homage to U2, they'd play a U2 song, not a song U2 covered on a tour in the early 90s. But let's not start this again.

One of my all-time favourite posters, redhill.

One thing I've noticed afterwards... There are a couple of posters who are defending him in terms that it wasn't such a stretch to think that Satellite of Love was a nod to U2 in general. Which is fair enough I guess. There are probably U2 fans out there who associate it first and foremost with ZooTV.

Even so, it seems to me that any U2 fan serious enough to know that they have a version of Satellite of Love will also likely know about ZooTV. And, if I'm not mistaken, at a lot of those concerts Bono "duets" with Lou Reed from the monitor. I would think that people who see that would wonder who the hell the guy on the monitor is.

Back
Top Bottom