I have a ring I like to sell. Could use advice/suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, a few years back I was engaged. The engagement was broken, but I still have the ring in a safety deposit box at the bank. The ring has a .9 diamond on it and the band is white gold. I bought the ring for $2,850 from a nice place in NYC. They gave me a certificate stating the ring was worth 4000 something dollars. I haven't taken the ring anywhere to be appraised or sold, because I wanted to get some more info before I took it out of the bank. I've asked a number of people for info, but I haven't quite gotten the info I was looking for.

I want to sell this ring, but get a decent price. I know there's a chance that when I sell it, I'll get less than what I paid for it. I'd still, obviously, like to get as much as I can for it.

Anyway, if anyone can provide me with some info, that would be great.

Actually, a good diamond will keep it's value and you'll probably not lose too much...

I would start with custom jewelers that buy diamonds back...

If you were thinking of auctioning it off, e.g. through eBay, you can always set a minimum bidding price under which the item won't be sold.

I would tie the ring to some loose thread on the inside of your jacket then walk somewhere with a lot of people, but not a lot of light. Then open up your jacket (like Bono showing the American flag) and tell the people around that you will "give them good price".

I would tie the ring to some loose thread on the inside of your jacket then walk somewhere with a lot of people, but not a lot of light. Then open up your jacket (like Bono showing the American flag) and tell the people around that you will "give them good price".

I tried that, but some homeless dude tried to give me a headbutt. I blocked his attempted headbutt and gave him a Three Stooges' style double eye poke. As he cowered in pain, he said I'll give you a grand for it. I told him he'd have to go a little higher. That's when he took out his crackpipe, took a hit of some rock and staggered away. He apparently took my suggestion a different way.

So, yeah, I'd have to scratch that idea. :wink:

If you are still in New York, take it to 3 or 4 places on 47th street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

You will get the most money for it there and tof the 4 people you ask, I am sure they will give you prices within $100 of each other.

I actually did some reading about this, because I was thinking of selling mine. What I found is that diamonds go through so many hands before they reach retail that there's an incredible mark-up for them, because each step along the way, there's a commission added to the cost, and that if you try to sell it back to a retail store, you'll only get a small percentage of the retail price back for it.

My advice is to get it appraised, and try to sell it privately for maybe 75% of the retail price with the appraisal certificate. Worst case scenario, it won't sell for what you're asking. It also wouldn't hurt to check with a jeweller to see what they'd offer you for it too, before attempting to sell privately. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm taking the ring tomorrow to a jeweler my sister knows. I'll let ya'll know how much I got for it.

Back
Top Bottom