Hurricaine Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was no way I could sit at home all day in my heated house with electricity while others have literally nothing.

Pearl said:
There was no way I could sit at home all day in my heated house with electricity while others have literally nothing.

Well we just need more people with that attitude

They're talking about Staten Island and the Marathon right now on CNN

Also , unfortunately , about looting victims there.

Pearl said:
Not malicious, but detached from what was going on.

The CNN reporter said that people in Staten Island were furious. They felt that Bloomberg was pandering to wealthy marathon sponsors and that money was talking - and would with power restoration, etc.. The class warfare aspect that will develop is a harsh reality.

Well we just need more people with that attitude

They're talking about Staten Island and the Marathon right now on CNN

Also , unfortunately , about looting victims there.

Yeah. Disasters bring out the best and worst in people. :slant: There's been looting in Coney Island too and I'm sure elsewhere.

Pearl said:
Not malicious, but detached from what was going on.

I really disagree with you on this one. The last thing I think anyone at city hall is is detached from the reality of the situation.

Christie is getting universal praise for his response... nobody is bashing him for allowing the Giants game go on, which will take resources away from the rest of Jersey.

I guess people like the Giants, so its okay.

The city's response in an incredibly difficult situation has been great. They made the wrong decision by originally going through with the marathon, but in no way do I think it was a decision made out of any detachment from the situation.

This is the same guy who made the NBA cancel a huge event in Brooklyn two days ago, that was a national broadcast.

Its an awful circumstance... having no transportation and limited supplies would be awful... let alone having no power, no home, or worse...

I think the region's leaders are doing a great job. They're making some mistakes along the line, but it's impossible to have a response of this magnitude, in the by far most densely populated area in the country, and not have some mistakes.

As bad as things are... just imagine if Ray Nagin was mayor...

I hope all the food that was going to marathoners and sponsors will be going to Staten Island and other hungry people. People are dumpster diving for spoiled food from stores and restaurants. If I had to dumpster dive for food I'd be angry about a marathon going on and all the food for it stacked in Central Park. It also starts in Staten Island, no? And the bridge there would have been blocked and an issue for recovery efforts? That's what CNN said.

Hotels allegedly price gouging too. Way to take advantage. I'm sure they must usually raise rates for marathon weekend, so now that it's cancelled maybe they'll give people a break.

Whether detached or not- if desperate citizens think you're detached, that's a major problem at a time like this. Perception is reality, when your previous reality has been destroyed.

Wow. Ok...

I didn't know Jimmy Fallon was a singer.

Brian Fallon on the other hand :love:

Oh, God. Jimmy Fallon does a deadon Neil Young. Neil Young loves Jimmy Fallon doing Neil Young doing "Whip My Hair" or "I'm Sexy and I know It" :lol:

Oh, God. Jimmy Fallon does a deadon Neil Young. Neil Young loves Jimmy Fallon doing Neil Young doing "Whip My Hair" or "I'm Sexy and I know It" :lol:

Wow...sometimes it sucks not having a TV. Thanks for that!!!

I was upset when the mayor first said the marathon would continue. I'm glad they decided not to hold the marathon on Sunday. He fixed his mistake, and I think he deserves some props for that.

I can't even make decisions for myself under normal circumstances. I can't imagine the stress that these public officials are under. I think Bloomb, Christie, and Malloy (who isn't getting as much national attention) are all doing a fine job so far.

I haven't been a fan of Bloomberg in years, so maybe that's why I wasn't too crazy about his reluctance to cancel the marathon. Plus I have the Staten Island cyncism towards the city.

Governor Cuomo has been doing a good job too; I have no complaints about him.

Just wanted to post this:

155571_4815158261194_1460826270_n.jpg

I admit I have a love/hate attitude to this place, but home is always home. I was born and raised here, and I'll stand by Staten Island always, no matter what.

You guys still have Cuomo? Hasn't he been there for like, forever?

MrPryck2U said:
Remember, his father, Mario, was also the governor.

Right, that's who I was thinking of. He was governor when I was a kid, and why I even know or remember this is beyond me. I was thinking shit, he came back after Pataki and is still there? I also don't know why this is as funny to me as it is, either. I don't even live in NY anymore.

Pearl:
thanks for that NOLA link... :heart: very moving!
tho at first I though North LA , was wondering what was so significant about north LA
course once i started the first one i realized it Nawlins!

And good on you for going to help out.

Unico good luck next week. Good to hear Conn didn't get hit as hard.

And now a Nor'easter could very well happen Wed/Thurs, with strong winds, rain and SNOW from Virginia up the coast to Maine...fantastic. Weaker than Sandy...but that its basically like being kicked while already down, especially for people without power still.

Didn't lose power in Sandy (though there is still no power a few blocks away from me)...odds we lose power from this?

The problem with this potential nor'easter isn't so much the strength of the storm, but that all of the dunes and coastal barriers were destroyed by Sandy, so a moderate storm could cause tremendous flooding for the Jersey shore and the south shore of Long Island, because there's nothing there to stop the ocean waters from coming in.

The office where I work still does not have power, so another day away from work again. I'll volunteer again tomorrow.

One of the women at work lives in Long Beach, Long Island and has lost everything. And now this Nor'easter is coming. The last thing she, and so many others, need.

Right, that's who I was thinking of. He was governor when I was a kid, and why I even know or remember this is beyond me. I was thinking shit, he came back after Pataki and is still there? I also don't know why this is as funny to me as it is, either. I don't even live in NY anymore.

It's not so crazy. Mario contemplated running for President at one point. He was one of the better governors of NY.

I was fortunate during Sandy. I live more in the middle of the Island, so no damage was done to my home. We lost power for a few days and didn't have Triple Play until Saturday. Had to bust out the DVD's. But, it obviously could have been way worse. I haven't even bothered getting gas yet. I ain't going anywhere until things get back to normal.

More than a million homes and businesses still without power. More than 40,000 people in NY lost their homes. 119 people dead.

Already faded from the news -but all these people are freezing cold, hungry, and many are homeless.

Volunteered again. There are so many donated clothes on Staten Island, that no one is accepting anymore. Also, other places are collecting them. Two trucks came to where I was, and started gathering the bags and bags of clothes we had. They told us it was going to Long Beach, Long Island! My sister was with me, and she said that said a lot about our borough. :yes:

Power is still out where I work. I know so many have much worse than that, but this is torture for me. However, I wouldn't want to deal with the Nor'easter on Wednesday, so it might be a blessing if the power remains off until Thursday or Friday. Although, that may not happen. I just want to get back to normalcy.

way I've tried googling whether the traffic lights in lower manhattan are all on now...

2 days ago my sis sauid ther buses were only going down to 23rd st because traffic signals- alot were still out.
have to call 311 tomorrow and connwct with a live person at mta....nothing on thier site told me anything on this matter. :|

good luck pearl...

it's terrible that all these still aaffected areas are going to get swamped with more wind, rain again and now- possible snow. ugh how many more trees & power lines will go down. Soak ares again that have partially dried out? :huh: :|

Back
Top Bottom