Hurricaine Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:
Boston has higher winds than DC at the moment, because of a pressure gradient (according to local news).

Thanks for that info. Wow, and so far away from where it made landfall, compared to DC. People need to understand that this isn't just a hurricane. It's one wrapped inside a Noreaster, being blocked and fed by a Greenland block and a jet stream. So no, it's not overblown. Record setting low pressure too.

The lights in my apartment keep flickering now and then. 18,000 in my area already lost power, so who knows...

Local news just showed video of someone jetskiiing near Battery Park. She couldn't emphasize how stupid he was.

Not really necessary in a thread like this-the side back and forth taking place. Can't you take it elsewhere or to PM ? I'm sitting here wondering when trees will come down and hearing countless branches hit the roof and the windows.

Hopefully for the inner city people at least, power is easier to restore to more people at once so perhaps the waiting time past power outages will be less?

Hope everything goes over well. Hurricanes are always only fun during the storm.

Well... in hindsight the first two or three days without power are kinda fun, too. After that though... terrible.

Hopefully for the inner city people at least, power is easier to restore to more people at once so perhaps the waiting time past power outages will be less?

When Irene hit last year, I had friends who were without power for almost a week.

Hope everything goes over well. Hurricanes are always only fun during the storm.

Well... in hindsight the first two or three days without power are kinda fun, too. After that though... terrible.

Maybe that's easy for you to say because you're from Florida so you're used to this. But hurricanes like this are rare in New York, so fun would not be the word at the moment.

Maybe that's easy for you to say because you're from Florida so you're used to this. But hurricanes like this are rare in New York, so fun would not be the word at the moment.

It's also one thing to be out of power when it's 80 degrees and sunny outside vs. it being essentially winter and at the freezing level.

Not sure how this comparison is even helpful right now.

When Irene hit last year, I had friends who were without power for almost a week.

Maybe it is easy for me to say because almost a week is great. For the last three direct hits we've gotten, it was 2 weeks, 10 days, and 3 weeks without power.

I mean we don't get it that often. Haven't really been hit other than some sideswipes and outer bands in a long time.

Just remember though, it's all your nerves! I'm a big fan of weather and its power, so I rather enjoy watching its awe. I mean, I'm not saying they're not dangerous, but as long as you prepare well and stay safe you should be okay. Depends where you are though, too. Property loss/damages obviously is not something that's fun, at all.

If you get a chance to see the eye of the storm, it's something really amazing to take a step outside and look up at.

About 300,000 customers in MA without power. So far.

Never lost power during Irene, this is a much worse storm. Oct snowstorm last year, no power for a week. It was never fun. My mother has a generator so we had some lights and heat and hot water. I got it going every day all by myself too, and it's an old fashioned gas powered one where you have to pull the starter thing like crazy. I felt like pioneer woman. It was empowering, I love being able to do things like that myself. Don't want to do it again though.

It's also one thing to be out of power when it's 80 degrees and sunny outside vs. it being essentially winter and at the freezing level.

If you're referring to the power outages... it's not '80 and sunny', it's 3 weeks of 85-90 degree, hot, humid air. And most of us live in the swamps, not the beach. The reason I call it fun for the first two days is because you'll notice that despite the harsh conditions and the misery and the lack of supplies and all of that, you get a nice sense of community. People band together and help one another out, ends up a little bit like camping. But then you know... after day 2 or 3, people are fed up with that shit and everyone is just miserable.

If you get a chance to see the eye of the storm, it's something really amazing to take a step outside and look up at.

I've heard it is, and if I get a chance, I'll take a picture of it. Something for the grandkids.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Hurricane hits Florida: Prep for disaster and clean up the mess afterwards. Nobody outside of the direct area gives a shit.

Hurricane hits northeast: Inadequate preparation and a freakout overreaction. President abandons speech at UCF over storm. All I'm saying is... I want a makeup speech from Obama when the next hurricane runs through here. Abandon whatever you were doing and fly out to Florida for our storms.

Yea, you're totally right. A campaign speech at UCF is totally more important than a natural disaster hitting the most densely populated region in the country.

I can only hope Obama abandons the white house now and goes to personally apologize to you.

Yea, you're totally right. A campaign speech at UCF is totally more important than a natural disaster hitting the most densely populated region in the country.

I can only hope Obama abandons the white house now and goes to personally apologize to you.

Relax, cat. What on Earth can Obama do before the storm has passed? Hunker down like the rest of you?

Where did I say anything about me? I was making a case in point that the President doesn't move his ass down here to ride out a storm with us... I don't see the necessity of his leaving.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Relax, cat. What on Earth can Obama do before the storm has passed? Hunker down like the rest of you?

Where did I say anything about me? I was making a case in point that the President doesn't move his ass down here to ride out a storm with us... I don't see the necessity of his leaving.

The fucking white house isn't in Florida.

Oh crap, my cable just went out. Well, my electricity is on for the moment...

The latest reports seem to indicate that the storm is going to turn from moving west to north right over top of us in central PA.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Hurricane hits Florida: Prep for disaster and clean up the mess afterwards. Nobody outside of the direct area gives a shit.

Hurricane hits northeast: Inadequate preparation and a freakout overreaction. President abandons speech at UCF over storm. All I'm saying is... I want a makeup speech from Obama when the next hurricane runs through here. Abandon whatever you were doing and fly out to Florida for our storms.

Kinda like when you pussies get half an inch of snow

LOTS of fake photos of Sandy floating around today, and that's one of them.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...nknowns-guard-in-the-rain-its-from-september/

This one is real though

A6ZwAPlCcAElFs3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom