Hurricaine Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Springsteen - Sandy - YouTube

02-06SandyAnnie.jpg

shotRemember_perfectStorm_10%20jpg.ashx

AL1812W5.gif

discuss.

I'll survive with no power for a week like last year of it comes to that, just as long as theres no snow and a tree doesn't take a bite out of my car again. That sucked massively.

Terrifying. Everyone in the East Coast region affected by Sandy and everyone on the West Coast or in Hawaii affected by the Tsunami: Stay safe! You're in our thoughts. Hopefully it won't be as bad after all.

I'm on Staten Island, NY so I may get some flooding, but you never know. I'm just grateful that my neighbors cut down their massive trees recently so I wouldn't have to be afraid of them toppling over and hitting my house.

Schools are closed for tomorrow, the MTA will shut down tonight. This is going to be loads of fun :| I just hope my batteries will last long enough for who knows how long.

Well I get off from work tomorrow... that's a bonus, I guess. Probably Tuesday too.

Will be interesting... of the storm surge is as bad as they say it could be and gets into the subways and power lines underground, we could be fucked for a while.

The blog I go to for weather, and that I trust more than the mainstream folks because he's not trying to scare up ratings, is saying there could be a 12 foot rise in water level on the battery, which would be bad.

It pays to live within a 10 block radius of the mayor when you're concerned about losing power...

Which blog is this?

I checked everywhere to make sure I didn't need to evacuate, and apparently I don't, so that's a relief. But this hurricane is still making me nervous, because its being reported as much worse than Irene last year.

The best thing about this is watching the news all day and listening to Bloomberg's poor attempts at Spanish during live conferences. He should've taken lessons.

I'm a poor college kid who is hopelessly unprepared if the power is out for an extended period of time. And I don't have a car to go load up on supplies at a supermarket, so I'm pretty much sitting here like a jackass.

Can anyone help you? Any classmates, friends? Does your school have some sort of a shelter?

Pearl said:
Which blog is this?

I checked everywhere to make sure I didn't need to evacuate, and apparently I don't, so that's a relief. But this hurricane is still making me nervous, because its being reported as much worse than Irene last year.

The best thing about this is watching the news all day and listening to Bloomberg's poor attempts at Spanish during live conferences. He should've taken lessons.

http://www.nycareaweather.com

A6UOe9FCUAAb4Ex.jpg:large

Atlantic City boardwalk at the Inlet. We are so fucked.

Can anyone help you? Any classmates, friends? Does your school have some sort of a shelter?
I mean, I have plenty of friends, just not many that are going to want to drive to the store in hurricane conditions. And I have no idea about any kind of shelter. I doubt I'll need that. I'm just worried about losing contact with people if the power is out for an extended period of time. I'm in journalism. Being car-less is bad. Being car-less and phoneless is an emergency.

It' s extremely scary. Two years in a row now to have to live through this anxiety. Not dealing well with it either. My mother hasn't taken trees down that I've been telling her for years to take down, so that's a major source of worry for me. Hopefully after this she will, if they don't come down and hit her house or wires or whatever first.

Stay safe everyone here who is in the path, and check in if you can.

Phils Fan, can you try to get a ride to your parents house? Do they live too far away? Are you living on campus? While you can still get online try to find a shelter, something. They could try to get you a ride to get there. I would think someone at your school can help you. Red Cross is good too. They would most likely have a cell phone there that you could use. Either at a Red Cross mobile unit or a shelter.

PhilsFan said:
I'm a poor college kid who is hopelessly unprepared if the power is out for an extended period of time. And I don't have a car to go load up on supplies at a supermarket, so I'm pretty much sitting here like a jackass.

Do you have beer, ice and a tub?

Watching the local news all day, and they are showing people who are choosing to not evacuate from Zone A here in NYC. They keep saying that Irene was all hype and they survived then, so they'll survive this one. C'mon people! Sandy is being reported as worse than Irene, and this storm is not going to last a few hours, but nearly two days.

I may be rolling my eyes whenever I hear about people riding this out, but I am nervous for them.

They just said on CNN to go to some site called WNYC for evacuation zones in NYC. Because there's some other web site that people are having trouble accessing. Of course now that one will probably crash.

I think if you live a couple of blocks from the water, leave. Better safe than sorry.

Pearl said:
Watching the local news all day, and they are showing people who are choosing to not evacuate from Zone A here in NYC. They keep saying that Irene was all hype and they survived then, so they'll survive this one. C'mon people! Sandy is being reported as worse than Irene, and this storm is not going to last a few hours, but nearly two days.

I may be rolling my eyes whenever I hear about people riding this out, but I am nervous for them.

That's the problem with the media hype of so many storms. It becomes that crying wolf thing, and you wonder what the results of that will be. Very scary. I understand why people don't want to leave their homes, but sometimes you just have to no matter what.

I've made all the advance preps that I can. But it's not helping at all with my anxiety. Times like these, I really wish I didn't have a complete aversion to meds. Watching TV makes it worse, but I'm so nervous that I can't read. The World Series would be a good diversion, but that has been such a bore.

Pearl said:
I think if you live a couple of blocks from the water, leave. Better safe than sorry.

I was just putting the NYC thing up for anyone there. I'm in MA and thankfully nowhere near the water. But we will be getting the bad sustained winds all day tomorrow. Even inland. That's how big the field of this storm extends. New Englanders are very tough, we have to be with the weather we have. But I'm really getting tired of tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes.

The main issue with the storm surge in NYC will be if it floods the subways and underground power lines, not necessarily something similar to what we saw in New Orleans... if the city loses mass transit for a significant amount of time it'll be a huge financial hit to the city.

So as far as NYC goes that, hopefully, is the major concern, as opposed to serious loss of life.

Coastal real estate is great...except times like this. Hopefullly either:

A. No flooding under the house
or
B. no extended power outage so sump pump will function.

(C. None of the above is also a very good option).

Atlantic City boardwalk at the Inlet. We are so fucked.

I mean, I have plenty of friends, just not many that are going to want to drive to the store in hurricane conditions. And I have no idea about any kind of shelter. I doubt I'll need that. I'm just worried about losing contact with people if the power is out for an extended period of time. I'm in journalism. Being car-less is bad. Being car-less and phoneless is an emergency.

Do you at least have a shotgun? When society collapses, you'll need to protect what little provisions you have

Phils Fan, can you try to get a ride to your parents house? Do they live too far away? Are you living on campus? While you can still get online try to find a shelter, something. They could try to get you a ride to get there. I would think someone at your school can help you. Red Cross is good too. They would most likely have a cell phone there that you could use. Either at a Red Cross mobile unit or a shelter.
It's about three hours and no one is really leaving. Plus, my family lives outside of Philadelphia, which is also directly in the path.
Do you have beer, ice and a tub?
Of course. The first thing we are doing in the event of a power outage is drinking the beer before it gets skunked. We've got about 30 in our fridge.
Do you at least have a shotgun? When society collapses, you'll need to protect what little provisions you have
This is why I'm on this forum, for ideas like this. Good call. Might head out on foot tomorrow before the winds start howling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom