Hurricaine Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LuckyNumber7 said:
Don't you worry though, Barack has the ability to put those fires out with the snap of his fingers right as they start!

Get over yourself.

You are such a putz.

Get over myself? You're the one complaining that the president of the united states decided that a natural disaster was more important than a speech you were supposed to attend.

I man really... forget about the idea that Obama is a husband with a wife and kids potentially in the path of the storm... let's forget that. He's the freaking president, for fucks sake. He should be in the seat of government ready to make a decision if and when any emergencies take place, not giving a god damned campaign speech to a bunch of college kids.

Your reasoning is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read. "Duuuuuh he doesn't go to Florida when there's a storm here, why should he go to Washington when there's a storm there?". If the fucking white house was in Florida, he'd be there right now. You could go wave at him through his window.

Why am I even arguing with you?

Power went out at around 9pm. Woke up to the calm with power back.

I live on Staten Island and where I live there is no flooding, at least on my street. But I'm sure there are places that are severely flooded because they're low lying areas near the beach.

You are such a putz.

Get over myself? You're the one complaining that the president of the united states decided that a natural disaster was more important than a speech you were supposed to attend.

I man really... forget about the idea that Obama is a husband with a wife and kids potentially in the path of the storm... let's forget that. He's the freaking president, for fucks sake. He should be in the seat of government ready to make a decision if and when any emergencies take place, not giving a god damned campaign speech to a bunch of college kids.

Your reasoning is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read. "Duuuuuh he doesn't go to Florida when there's a storm here, why should he go to Washington when there's a storm there?". If the fucking white house was in Florida, he'd be there right now. You could go wave at him through his window.

Why am I even arguing with you?

i think he's just upset that new york city is actually a big deal and he lives in a swamp. children are silly like that.

speaking of...LM's silly nostalgia thread prompted me to find a picture from when i was a child of LN7's age. i figured i'd post it here, since you're probably one of what, 2 people still around who may even vaguely remember it?
Untitled-6.png

now why wasn't bruuuucezilla putting out those queens fires and installing industrial sump pumps on the floors of the stock exchange? what a slacker. i bet that bastard kept his speaking engagement at the university of bumfuck ohio (southwestern campus).

anitram said:
My basement in Toronto has an inch of water in it right now. Lovely.

Better yet we are house hunting and supposed to see a house that backs onto a river tomorrow.

I would rule that house out immediately. ~ captain obvious. Glad to know you are there and not in NYC during this.

Can't believe I never lost power. It almost went several times but never for good. I have never been so grateful in my entire life to see the sun. So warm today too. Lots of branches down and road debris. It started pouring again with the high gusty winds overnight.

It's heartbreaking to see what happened in NYC and elsewhere. Glad that people here seem to have made it through. Hopefully Irvine will check in at some point.

Ummm, OK...

Anyway, back the hurricane aftermath. The sun did briefly peek out so that was great. School is likely closed tomorrow. I work in downtown Manhattan and that place is flooded with no power. So, I won't be going in tomorrow that's for sure - unless a quick clean up takes place and the power comes back quickly.

bono_212 said:
Just get the fuck out of here you waste of space. No one wants to hear from you. People are dead and you want to keep on with the same childish baiting you always post.

Hahahaha. OK, that was a little strong. Thankfully, the mods will respond to this as if their power was out too.

Looks like most MD folks never lost power or have it back on after a relatively short duration (like my parents, who I think had it out for 12 hours). As far north as Richmond, nothing really happened. I pray our members from NY and CT are OK though, they got fucked pretty good by this one.

Look, it's one thing for him to bait and argue in the sports threads, but this is ridiculous. He just can't seem to understand how to be a decent person and just stay out of the frigging thread instead of doing the same crap he does in every other thread he posts in.

Sheesh, don't you KNOW that Florida has hurricanes like ten times worse than Sandy every day?? He's totally in the right to be a dick, because of his experiences.

Look, it's one thing for him to bait and argue in the sports threads, but this is ridiculous. He just can't seem to understand how to be a decent person and just stay out of the frigging thread instead of doing the same crap he does in every other thread he posts in.

:up::up::up:

The Sad Punk said:
Sheesh, don't you KNOW that Florida has hurricanes like ten times worse than Sandy every day?? He's totally in the right to be a dick, because of his experiences.

7 is from circumstances. :shrug:

Guys, come on! By not ignoring him, you are adding to the problem. He's not going to wake up and stop being childish or ignorant or whatever because of what you've said - that's up to him alone to figure out. So, stop wasting your time and stop ruining this thread. Don't make his problem yours.

Getting back on track, the National Guard is in Little Ferry, NJ and they're carrying people out of their homes, young and old. Very sad sight to see.

Considering the amount of people staying in and drinking over the past couple of days, how many Sandy's do you think will be born in 9 months?

:lol:

There's a joke going around Twitter that says: "I have two neighbors named Sandy and Irene. They're keeping a low profile."

Things ended up not being too bad in State College. Hardly slept at all last night because of the winds from the storm, but no major damage and no lengthy power outages means I can take one night of not sleeping.

The shore town that my family has been vacationing in for decades is Sea Isle City, and that town has taken on massive damages. There's major flooding, tons of destroyed homes, and several roads leading to the bridges have been completely destroyed. It's hard to tell what will become of the town, as most of the streets are still totally flooded.

This better not happen:

The 8-million-strong human population of New York City is matched, if not exceeded, by the city's number of rodent dwellers. Fortunately, the two populations don't mingle all that often.
But that could change as storm waters from Hurricane Sandy flood rats out of their underground residences, according to Rick Ostfeld of the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Milbrook, N.Y.
"Rats are incredibly good swimmers," said Ostfeld. "And they can climb."
In other words, Sandy is unlikely to knock off the resilient rodents, but rather displace them.
According to Ostfeld, this could result in increased risk of infectious diseases carried by urban rats, including leptospirosis, hantavirus, typhus, salmonella, and even the plague.

Hurricane Sandy Could Displace Rats, Spread Infectious Disease

:ohmy: yikes displaced rats...

good luck, pearl, sounds like from Con Ed a while ago about 4 days for Lower Manhattan :(

PF
glad your college area is mastly OK.
As to shore... :( lots of devasation in all the lower lying areas. But the shore people will mostly gather their strength and rebuild as they've befoere unless it's a breaking point for some.

Mrs S oh glad your never lost power! we're not seeing the sun yet.

thanks LM & SP
don't feel like going out in 40 mph winds .... so i'll see tomorrow if any trees down and any damage. Most likely other than some trees maybe ( :( i love trees ) won't be anything other the news might up here.

Our power is ok those at one point the lights did swift dimming and i was :uhoh: but someone earlier on the radio said to expect that-not necessarily a prelude to a power-outage.

Been through 2 major blackouts and one that hit my area exclusively-- luckily thobecause in all the neigborhoods i've lived in thus far powerlines are underground and lived in high ground so no flooding (thank goodness!) -- sso power gets restored in one or 2 days.

One of my friends lives in Lower Manhattan so she's without power. He cell phone message bok is full.

just called my cousins in NJ ... They are without power and i remember last yr parts of NJ took a whole while to get back electricity back :sigh: Most importantly while some trees are down NONE hit their house! and they are generally on high ground so no flooding. Big Relief!

have to check 2 friends in Brooklyn but i think their areas are underground electric lines so probably ok.

Don't have my uncle & cousins in onneticut & cousins in central jersey (in land) see if my sib's found anything out.

dazzledbylight said:
how's your huose antiram?

Not too bad, the basement is unfinished so no major damage.

Up the street a giant tree fell over and crushed an SUV - I'll try to go take a pic before it's moved.

It' s extremely scary. Two years in a row now to have to live through this anxiety. Not dealing well with it either. My mother hasn't taken trees down that I've been telling her for years to take down, so that's a major source of worry for me. Hopefully after this she will, if they don't come down and hit her house or wires or whatever first.

Sounds like you made it through ok.

Those trees need to be addressed. At some point they will fall. I know it is a pain and expense. We had a city tree branch fall on a car and kill a woman.

I had three large trees taken out. I thought it would cost 4- $5000. I got several bids. I had it done for $1400.

Back
Top Bottom