Hurricaine Sandy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Can anyone help you? Any classmates, friends? Does your school have some sort of a shelter?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl
Which blog is this?

I checked everywhere to make sure I didn't need to evacuate, and apparently I don't, so that's a relief. But this hurricane is still making me nervous, because its being reported as much worse than Irene last year.

The best thing about this is watching the news all day and listening to Bloomberg's poor attempts at Spanish during live conferences. He should've taken lessons.
http://www.nycareaweather.com

Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Atlantic City boardwalk at the Inlet. We are so fucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Can anyone help you? Any classmates, friends? Does your school have some sort of a shelter?
I mean, I have plenty of friends, just not many that are going to want to drive to the store in hurricane conditions. And I have no idea about any kind of shelter. I doubt I'll need that. I'm just worried about losing contact with people if the power is out for an extended period of time. I'm in journalism. Being car-less is bad. Being car-less and phoneless is an emergency.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
horses and bayonets would come in handy now
Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

It' s extremely scary. Two years in a row now to have to live through this anxiety. Not dealing well with it either. My mother hasn't taken trees down that I've been telling her for years to take down, so that's a major source of worry for me. Hopefully after this she will, if they don't come down and hit her house or wires or whatever first.

Stay safe everyone here who is in the path, and check in if you can.

Phils Fan, can you try to get a ride to your parents house? Do they live too far away? Are you living on campus? While you can still get online try to find a shelter, something. They could try to get you a ride to get there. I would think someone at your school can help you. Red Cross is good too. They would most likely have a cell phone there that you could use. Either at a Red Cross mobile unit or a shelter.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
I'm a poor college kid who is hopelessly unprepared if the power is out for an extended period of time. And I don't have a car to go load up on supplies at a supermarket, so I'm pretty much sitting here like a jackass.
Do you have beer, ice and a tub?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Watching the local news all day, and they are showing people who are choosing to not evacuate from Zone A here in NYC. They keep saying that Irene was all hype and they survived then, so they'll survive this one. C'mon people! Sandy is being reported as worse than Irene, and this storm is not going to last a few hours, but nearly two days.

I may be rolling my eyes whenever I hear about people riding this out, but I am nervous for them.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

They just said on CNN to go to some site called WNYC for evacuation zones in NYC. Because there's some other web site that people are having trouble accessing. Of course now that one will probably crash.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think if you live a couple of blocks from the water, leave. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Watching the local news all day, and they are showing people who are choosing to not evacuate from Zone A here in NYC. They keep saying that Irene was all hype and they survived then, so they'll survive this one. C'mon people! Sandy is being reported as worse than Irene, and this storm is not going to last a few hours, but nearly two days.

I may be rolling my eyes whenever I hear about people riding this out, but I am nervous for them.
That's the problem with the media hype of so many storms. It becomes that crying wolf thing, and you wonder what the results of that will be. Very scary. I understand why people don't want to leave their homes, but sometimes you just have to no matter what.

I've made all the advance preps that I can. But it's not helping at all with my anxiety. Times like these, I really wish I didn't have a complete aversion to meds. Watching TV makes it worse, but I'm so nervous that I can't read. The World Series would be a good diversion, but that has been such a bore.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think if you live a couple of blocks from the water, leave. Better safe than sorry.
I was just putting the NYC thing up for anyone there. I'm in MA and thankfully nowhere near the water. But we will be getting the bad sustained winds all day tomorrow. Even inland. That's how big the field of this storm extends. New Englanders are very tough, we have to be with the weather we have. But I'm really getting tired of tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

The main issue with the storm surge in NYC will be if it floods the subways and underground power lines, not necessarily something similar to what we saw in New Orleans... if the city loses mass transit for a significant amount of time it'll be a huge financial hit to the city.

So as far as NYC goes that, hopefully, is the major concern, as opposed to serious loss of life.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Coastal real estate is great...except times like this. Hopefullly either:

A. No flooding under the house
or
B. no extended power outage so sump pump will function.

(C. None of the above is also a very good option).
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

Atlantic City boardwalk at the Inlet. We are so fucked.

I mean, I have plenty of friends, just not many that are going to want to drive to the store in hurricane conditions. And I have no idea about any kind of shelter. I doubt I'll need that. I'm just worried about losing contact with people if the power is out for an extended period of time. I'm in journalism. Being car-less is bad. Being car-less and phoneless is an emergency.
Do you at least have a shotgun? When society collapses, you'll need to protect what little provisions you have
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Phils Fan, can you try to get a ride to your parents house? Do they live too far away? Are you living on campus? While you can still get online try to find a shelter, something. They could try to get you a ride to get there. I would think someone at your school can help you. Red Cross is good too. They would most likely have a cell phone there that you could use. Either at a Red Cross mobile unit or a shelter.
It's about three hours and no one is really leaving. Plus, my family lives outside of Philadelphia, which is also directly in the path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Do you have beer, ice and a tub?
Of course. The first thing we are doing in the event of a power outage is drinking the beer before it gets skunked. We've got about 30 in our fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Do you at least have a shotgun? When society collapses, you'll need to protect what little provisions you have
This is why I'm on this forum, for ideas like this. Good call. Might head out on foot tomorrow before the winds start howling.