Honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
Now, as a child I didn't like honey, but I bought a jar a while ago to see if I still dont like it. Turns out I now DO like it, so yay.

This particular jar, though very nice in flavour, was granulated in texture, so I dont know if that meant it was off, or that was just the way it was. But the texture made it quite annoying for toast use, which is my main avenue of honey use. Since I managed to get though most of this jar, I ventured out into Tesco to find a runny, and/or squeezy honey. I bought a Gales squeezy "wildflower" bottle and was quite chuffed. Until I tasted it.

DEAR GOD ITS VILE.

Seriously, is there THAT much difference in honey brands?! This new one is barely distinguishable from the last. :| It seems a shame to waste it too, so If you can think of something I can do with it, that'd help.

So, I have several questions:

What brands can you recommend? (UK ones plz) All I know is I dont want the white one.

How can I tell if its granulated before buying it? The last one looked pretty clear, so it seemed smooth at the time of purchase. :/

Apart from fruity teas and toast, exactly what the hell do I use honey for?

When you get those ones that have bees using a specific flower, like eucalyptus or heather, does the plant taste come though in the honey? Would you recommend a specific flower?

Whats the deal with those £10 jars with the super properties?

Honey. Serious stuff. :nerd::grumpy:

When the honey in my plastic bottle gets granulated, I microwave it for a few seconds and the crystals melt back into syrup.

I don't have a brand or flower suggestion for honey (I hope someone does), but I mainly use honey for sauces, dips or glazes.

Honey Mustard--equal parts honey and a spicy brown mustard, great for chicken or some Asian stuff, either as a sauce or dip. (Kids tend to love it, too.)

Honey, Soy Sauce, Seasoned Vinegar--good for Asian stuff--put in some minced ginger or ginger powder, too.

I'll use honey to glaze fish, particularly Salmon.

I generally only put it in tea when I have sore throat. I friend of mine just recommended using it in coffee. I haven't tried that yet; I don't drink a lot of coffee.

But honey as a kitchen staple? :up:

Mark

Honey Mustard--equal parts honey and a spicy brown mustard, great for chicken or some Asian stuff, either as a sauce or dip. (Kids tend to love it, too.)

Honey, Soy Sauce, Seasoned Vinegar--good for Asian stuff--put in some minced ginger or ginger powder, too.

Those sound useful, about the vinegar though, I normally have the bog standard brown stuff, would that work?

Incedentally, I got another jar today, since I know Im not going to use the crap stuff I have (at least enthusiastically). Its Austalian Eucalyptus, and Its gorgeous. :drool: Its very syrupy, with a light honey flavour, and no eucalyptus flavour that I can notice anyway. That was £2.02 well spent. :D

So if you arnt too into honey, but are into syrup, Id recommend that. Even my mum liked it, and shes not into honey.

Keep the honey uses coming though, since Ive got a surplus now and need to dispose of it somehow. :lol:

was granulated in texture, so I dont know if that meant it was off, or that was just the way it was.

I've heard that honey was one of the few substances that cant go off, but I shall do some research....maybe the grains were bee poop?

winnie_the_pooh.jpg

/thread

I only eat raw unheated honey, and I eat a lot of it. Raw honey on sprouted grain bread is just about my favorite snack. A little raw honey before bedtime and I sleep like a baby. :)

Apart from fruity teas and toast, exactly what the hell do I use honey for?

Do you bake much? I mostly use honey in bread recipes. Wheat bread especially seems to always call for honey. I also used a bunch today in a carrot dish, baby carrots stir-fried with a ginger/honey/butter sauce. Oh noes, I think I'm almost out actually, need to go to farmer's market tomorrow to get more local honey. :heart:

Honey is the best. I can't stand wildflower honey for whatever reason, definitely more into clover, but it's all so damn useful. Put it on anything with a bland/neutral flavor and it's instantly made 20 times better.

Baklava.

Best use of honey ever!

:yes:

THIS. :love:

Then again, what relation IS honey to the bee? Bee poo? Bee pee? Bee puke? What?! :huh:

I would rather not think about it. :uhoh:

Apparently, the bee collects nectar into its special "honey stomach", then a worker bee sucks it out (I dont know if its sucked directly out the stomach or its spat out and sucked up), and they chew it for half an hour, then they spread it on the honeycombs. :ohmy:

So...bee multi-regurgitations? :uhoh:

Eh, still tastes nice. :D

Apparently, the bee collects nectar into its special "honey stomach", then a worker bee sucks it out (I dont know if its sucked directly out the stomach or its spat out and sucked up), and they chew it for half an hour, then they spread it on the honeycombs. :ohmy:

So...bee multi-regurgitations? :uhoh:

Eh, still tastes nice. :D

Best regurgitation I've ever tasted. :huh:

For reference, I use Seasoned Rice Vinegar with honey in recipes, but I doubt that regular vinegars would be bad, just add a little at a time and see how it tastes.

Mark

I put it on oatmeal. :drool: :)

Another thing to remember, I'm pretty sure you should never give honey to babies under 1 year old as it's extremely dangerous.

Two different types of honey, maybe this is what you had the first time?

p-640-480-57511621-fb59-491b-948f-9d0b883595f0.jpeg

3278843961_fd2966dae7.jpg

I refer to it as the "waxy honey" but I assume it's just "all natural honey" that hasn't been tampered with. My boss has some in the office fridge. I'd personally never eat it because the thought of eating something waxy grosses me out.

Regular honey can crystallize, but like someone else mentioned, a quick visit to the microwave can melt that out. Honey, natural or tampered with, never goes bad. You can keep it in your pantry for 10 years and it will still be good. :drool: Just make sure the ants haven't gotten to it yet.

As an FYI, honey is actually a natural antibiotic. You can put it on a cut if you don't have Neosporin handy. That also means you can use honey on acne breakouts, which someone in my office does. But :yuck:

I'm pretty sure you should never give honey to babies under 1 year old as it's extremely dangerous.

Yep. It says it on the back of a bottle. I spend a lot of time with honey when my dog's blood sugar level is low. :crack:

in all honesty, those cheap two quidish type honeys are a huge no-no for me now. I think I have tried the Gayle one you mentioned and yuk!

we have bought honey with the comb in it, while its so waxy to eat its also bloody gorgeous.

but I eat Manuka honey, the one with the few active ingreds cause the one with like 20 is like a tenner or near twenty quid itself!

I would have honey in a banana smoothie or just eat a spoonful. :up:

Back
Top Bottom