Help me demystify the bouillon cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I have a 5.5 quart crock pot that's about half full of veggies and chicken. I'm going to be making chicken noodle soup (or maybe just chicken & veggie soup if there's no room left after I'm done crocking what's in there now). So if I put in enough water to cover what's in there now (is that even enough water??), then how many bouillon cubes should I put in? Cooking is so foreign to me! This crock pot is helping me figure out some of it though...

there's no directions on the bouillon package? You could just stick a whole chicken in there :wink:

<<<not a cook, that's hardy's job :)

Ok, so 4 cups is apparantly nearly 1 litre...so...I think 1 oxo is good for 1 litre/4cups.

So if your bouillon is anything like oxo Id say 1 and a half cubes. Or add one and see how that goes. :)

See, part of the issue is, there's so much STUFF in there, that I'm not sure how many to put in. I suppose I could resort to actually MEASURING what I put in....:shifty:

Actually, Id say 2 cubes. I thought a litre was smaller than it was. :|

If anything, it'll just taste stronger. It cant go too bad, if it does, just add more water.

So I measured out the water that I put in, and it wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be! I hope this works. Thanks for the help!

If the chicken is on the bone still you shouldn't need any bouillon. It'll have enough flavor from the chicken. If you have anything in there like barley or rice, it'll suck the water right up and your gonna end up with chili :D . So your gonna want enough water in there to cover the veggies by a decent amount. Maybe an inch or two over the veggies. If you add more water, one more cube shouldn't make much difference. Cook it low so the water doesn't boil away. It usually tastes better the next day anyways, in case it's not done in time for tonight.

I usually just toss a whole chicken in a pot and cook it real slow with lots of water. It can go for hours. You can leave it, it'll be fine when you get back no matter how long. Then take out whatever was in there, put the broth in the fridge and use it whenever you want. When you do decide to use it, bring it up to a boil, toss in whatever veggies you like and cook it for an hour or two at a simmer. This way, the pressure isn't on to have it done and ready on the same day. You'll have it down after a couple tries. :)

Good luck.

There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.

Back
Top Bottom