Has anyone here like, travelled a lot? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
I have not really gone anywhere (well, many US states and east Africa), but as far as where I want to go, tops on my list are New Zealand, Zanzibar, Palau (or something similar), and a multi-country trip along the Mediterranean coast. I prefer warm climates, the more humid and tropical the better. Germany is definitely on the horizon but that is for dog sport, not so much travel for the sake of travel.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:34 AM
in terms of places i'd like to visit...hmmm.

i definitely want to cover as much of the united states and canada as possible, and plan on starting that next year while i'm living in (fingers crossed) the us northeast. hawaii has been on my list of places i've wanted to go to for years, and i'll be doing that in january.

in europe i definitely want to go back to scotland and the rest of the uk - not so big on ireland, if we went we'd do it more for the countryside and maybe make a day trip into dublin. paris is a must, and apart from that i only really, really want to see berlin.

haven't given too much thought to africa and asia - i know the only place that is screaming out for me to visit in africa is cape town...it just looks like a spectacularly scenic place.

definitely also have my eye on melbourne - now a few years away - and some of the pacific islands and tahiti.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Yes, when I was in Pune as a grad student I had a friend and classmate who was from Bhuj and invited me along on a visit home during break. That was a very charming town (though I'm afraid badly damaged by the Gujarat earthquake in 2001; haven't been there since) and while there, we drove around to some of the villages in the Greater Rann, which is really a spectacular area. (I think I might've needed a permit to do that, can't remember anymore.) As an undergrad I'd also visited Ahmedabad, a fun city with some interesting mosques and markets and also a good base for visiting (by bus) the temple complex at Palitana, which is beautiful.

I've also always wanted to visit the national park in Junagadh (Gir), but haven't gotten around to that yet. I think you may be the first person with roots in Kutch whom I've encountered outside India--it's not a very populous area.
Alas, we're widespread ALL over! There are Indians in every corner of the world... My grandparents migrated from India to Tanzania in East Africa, to seek a better fortune, so to speak. And my family makes it a point to go back to the motherland every year... Mumbai was chaotic - haven't been there recently due to academic constraints here in the US, and Rajasthan, Kerala and Goa were gorgeous.

Have you picked up any Hindi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I have not really gone anywhere (well, many US states and east Africa), but as far as where I want to go, tops on my list are New Zealand, Zanzibar.
Zanzibar One of the best beaches in the world for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
in terms of places i'd like to visit...hmmm.
haven't given too much thought to africa and asia - i know the only place that is screaming out for me to visit in africa is cape town...it just looks like a spectacularly scenic place.
Cape Town is absolutely beautiful! Especially Table Mountain. You should definitely go if you have a chance... honeymoon maybe?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
Cape Town is absolutely beautiful! Especially Table Mountain. You should definitely go if you have a chance... honeymoon maybe?
ever since i first saw it on tv the whole city has had me drooling. table mountain is definitely an attraction to me. it's just...wow.

haha, the honeymoon is going to be the time in hawaii before the wedding, and hopefully ocean city over summer. unless you wanna pay?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Make sure to go to the Stellenbosch Wine Gardens there too - another great sight to see
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
Make sure to go to the Stellenbosch Wine Gardens there too - another great sight to see
oh damn, that is a pretty place.

i hope i remember this in 10 years when we have the money to go there.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #37
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I would really to go to Cape Town and see South Africa one day. I know someone there who has invited me to visit. Same for New Zealand so that is another place one day I would like to visit. I just need to save money for all this globetrotting!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 PM
I've been pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

I think if I counted it up I've hit around 40 of the 50 states. Haven't been to Hawaii or Alaska, and haven't been to a handful of the upper East Coast states. It really is a beautiful country, in every sense of the word. As hokey as that may sound. I love it. The state I live in, and have lived in most of my life, kicks a whole lot of ass but other than that I'd say my favorite place I've visited in the country is California. I've spent a lot of time in Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, and San Diego and I think the world of all those cities. Just wonderful. Something about California just works for me. I don't know.

Unfortunately I haven't done much traveling outside of the U.S. I went on a big family cruise to Bermuda when I was like 8 or 9. That was cool. And I've been to a couple places in Mexico.

When it comes to places I haven't been...I'd most like to do the whole Europe adventure. Go to England, find me a nice British girl to settle down with. See France, Spain, Italy, Ireland, etc. All those big spots.

But I'd be fine staying in America for the rest of my life. We're the best.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Something about California just works for me. I don't know.
the scantily clad tweens, likely.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
the scantily clad tweens, likely.
Yeah, that. And the sunshine. I like sunshine.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Yeah, that. And the sunshine. I like sunshine.
so do i. i'd also love a good cold, snowy winter. not omg i'm going to die chicago style, but you know.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #42
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
by three months from now i'll have lived in 6 countries.

i'm not bragging, i'm just saying that i'm better than all of you.
I've slept overnight in like 6 airports.

I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that I'm more pathetic than all of you.

Mark
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I've never been overseas but I've been across the US many times.

Worst - Chicago
Best - Death Valley
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:34 PM
^ Me too. This summer is the first time I'm going to Europe. I have been to Mexico and Canada and of course the US

For me the best place is Hawaii. Obvious reasons is because I love the beach. I don't have a worst. I liked everywhere I have been so far
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:34 PM
I've been to quite a few places myself. Mexico, Belize, Cayman Islands, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Turkey. I've barely been to any states (one of the downsides of living in Miami is that it's a 12 hour trip just to get out of the state, 10 hours if you speed!). Just Virginia (Washington D.C.), New York and I once went into Georgia about a mile in because we made a mistake in direction.
I can't remember if we went into Maryland though. It's possible we just drove through it, though.
I've been all over Florida though. And I mean all over. Even to the Yeehaw Junction trailer.

Places I'm planning to go to this year: Boston

Places I want to go to: Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Czech Republic (Prague ), Poland, Russia, Argentina, Australia, Israel (I'm still mad I'm not eligible for birthright ) and South Africa.

I pretty much want to visit all states. If I won the lottery I would buy an RV and road trip everywhere.

If you want to check out someone who is hellbent on beating everyone at this game, then look no further than our own therockinedge who has been on a world tour for about 9 months now. You can check out his travel blog here: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/learningtofly/ and it's filled to the brim with the most magnificent photos.