Has anyone here like, travelled a lot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not really gone anywhere (well, many US states and east Africa), but as far as where I want to go, tops on my list are New Zealand, Zanzibar, Palau (or something similar), and a multi-country trip along the Mediterranean coast. I prefer warm climates, the more humid and tropical the better. Germany is definitely on the horizon but that is for dog sport, not so much travel for the sake of travel.

in terms of places i'd like to visit...hmmm.

i definitely want to cover as much of the united states and canada as possible, and plan on starting that next year while i'm living in (fingers crossed) the us northeast. hawaii has been on my list of places i've wanted to go to for years, and i'll be doing that in january.

in europe i definitely want to go back to scotland and the rest of the uk - not so big on ireland, if we went we'd do it more for the countryside and maybe make a day trip into dublin. paris is a must, and apart from that i only really, really want to see berlin.

haven't given too much thought to africa and asia - i know the only place that is screaming out for me to visit in africa is cape town...it just looks like a spectacularly scenic place.

definitely also have my eye on melbourne - now a few years away - and some of the pacific islands and tahiti.

Yes, when I was in Pune as a grad student I had a friend and classmate who was from Bhuj and invited me along on a visit home during break. That was a very charming town (though I'm afraid badly damaged by the Gujarat earthquake in 2001; haven't been there since) and while there, we drove around to some of the villages in the Greater Rann, which is really a spectacular area. (I think I might've needed a permit to do that, can't remember anymore.) As an undergrad I'd also visited Ahmedabad, a fun city with some interesting mosques and markets and also a good base for visiting (by bus) the temple complex at Palitana, which is beautiful.

I've also always wanted to visit the national park in Junagadh (Gir), but haven't gotten around to that yet. :hmm: I think you may be the first person with roots in Kutch whom I've encountered outside India--it's not a very populous area.

Alas, we're widespread ALL over! :lol: There are Indians in every corner of the world... My grandparents migrated from India to Tanzania in East Africa, to seek a better fortune, so to speak. And my family makes it a point to go back to the motherland every year... Mumbai was chaotic - haven't been there recently due to academic constraints here in the US, and Rajasthan, Kerala and Goa were gorgeous. :up:

Have you picked up any Hindi? :D

I have not really gone anywhere (well, many US states and east Africa), but as far as where I want to go, tops on my list are New Zealand, Zanzibar.

Zanzibar :heart: One of the best beaches in the world for sure.

in terms of places i'd like to visit...hmmm.
haven't given too much thought to africa and asia - i know the only place that is screaming out for me to visit in africa is cape town...it just looks like a spectacularly scenic place.

Cape Town is absolutely beautiful! Especially Table Mountain. You should definitely go if you have a chance... honeymoon maybe? :wink:

Cape Town is absolutely beautiful! Especially Table Mountain. You should definitely go if you have a chance... honeymoon maybe? :wink:

ever since i first saw it on tv the whole city has had me drooling. table mountain is definitely an attraction to me. it's just...wow.

haha, the honeymoon is going to be the time in hawaii before the wedding, and hopefully ocean city over summer. unless you wanna pay? :wink:

I would really :heart: to go to Cape Town and see South Africa one day. I know someone there who has invited me to visit. Same for New Zealand so that is another place one day I would like to visit. I just need to save money for all this globetrotting!

I've been pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

I think if I counted it up I've hit around 40 of the 50 states. Haven't been to Hawaii or Alaska, and haven't been to a handful of the upper East Coast states. It really is a beautiful country, in every sense of the word. As hokey as that may sound. I love it. The state I live in, and have lived in most of my life, kicks a whole lot of ass but other than that I'd say my favorite place I've visited in the country is California. I've spent a lot of time in Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, and San Diego and I think the world of all those cities. Just wonderful. Something about California just works for me. I don't know.

Unfortunately I haven't done much traveling outside of the U.S. I went on a big family cruise to Bermuda when I was like 8 or 9. That was cool. And I've been to a couple places in Mexico.

When it comes to places I haven't been...I'd most like to do the whole Europe adventure. Go to England, find me a nice British girl to settle down with. See France, Spain, Italy, Ireland, etc. All those big spots.

But I'd be fine staying in America for the rest of my life. We're the best.

^ Me too. This summer is the first time I'm going to Europe. I have been to Mexico and Canada and of course the US

For me the best place is Hawaii. Obvious reasons is because I love the beach. I don't have a worst. I liked everywhere I have been so far

I've been to quite a few places myself. Mexico, Belize, Cayman Islands, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Turkey. I've barely been to any states (one of the downsides of living in Miami is that it's a 12 hour trip just to get out of the state, 10 hours if you speed!). Just Virginia (Washington D.C.), New York and I once went into Georgia about a mile in because we made a mistake in direction. :happy:
I can't remember if we went into Maryland though. :hmm: It's possible we just drove through it, though.
I've been all over Florida though. And I mean all over. Even to the Yeehaw Junction trailer.

Places I'm planning to go to this year: Boston :love:

Places I want to go to: Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Czech Republic (Prague :love:), Poland, Russia, Argentina, Australia, Israel (I'm still mad I'm not eligible for birthright :angry:) and South Africa.

I pretty much want to visit all states. If I won the lottery I would buy an RV and road trip everywhere.

If you want to check out someone who is hellbent on beating everyone at this game, then look no further than our own therockinedge who has been on a world tour for about 9 months now. You can check out his travel blog here: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/learningtofly/ and it's filled to the brim with the most magnificent photos. :heart:

My parents are foreign born, so I've spent time in both of their countries and nearby countries as well. My mom is from Barbados. I was born in Tampa, FL and lived with my grandparents in the islands until I was 6. I've been to Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, Martinique, Antigua, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts. I'm sure there are a couple more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Beautiful, beautiful places. I make sure I go to at least 2 once a year. We're going to Barbados this summer to celebrate my parents' anniversary, and I can't wait :hyper:.

My father was born in Senegal, so I've spent time in West Africa (mainly my dad's country, Nigeria, and Ghana). I also went to Canada to see a Rush concert during their snakes and arrows tour. My husband is from East London, SA. I've only been there once......I would like to visit again and spend more time in southern Africa.

As far as the States go, I've only been to a handful of US cities. I went to Illinois, Boston, and Miami for U2 concerts. I lived in Memphis briefly, moved to Nashville, and I've never been to the west coast. My travel to-do list is Southern Africa, the Pacific Northwest <particularly Oregon>, and southeast Asia.

I loved the mouth of the nile in uganda, vienna, tirana, varna, sofia, transdniestr, the taj mahal which is actually not overrated, sarajevo. But part of it really depends on mood, weather, people you are with...I wouldn't have liked Varna or Sofia under different circumstances but I would probably have liked Ohrid or Prishtina a lot better under other circumstances. Lived in 6 countries if you count 1 month or more as "living" which I'm undecided on so perhaps just 3, or 2, depends where you cut things off; been to 30 but I seem to be a bit stalled at this number.

Alas, we're widespread ALL over! :lol: There are Indians in every corner of the world... My grandparents migrated from India to Tanzania in East Africa, to seek a better fortune, so to speak. And my family makes it a point to go back to the motherland every year... Mumbai was chaotic - haven't been there recently due to academic constraints here in the US, and Rajasthan, Kerala and Goa were gorgeous. :up:

Have you picked up any Hindi? :D
Mein acchi hindi nahi bolti hun, mein kalej mem tamil padhi thii. Kya aap ghar par hindi/urdu mem bolte hain?

Probably should've focused my language studies on Hindi, since it's becoming more and more of a true lingua franca all the time. Then again, when I first studied in India as an undergrad (Chennai, which is where I've spent by far the most time), it turned out my assigned host family spoke Telugu, almost no Tamil, and only one of them spoke any English...so, my first introduction to the fact that trilingual discussions, in which no participant is actually fluent in all three (or sometimes any) of the languages involved, are pretty commonplace in India! You have to be OK with just winging it. Of course some of the languages are fairly closely related (Tamil/Malayalam, Bengali/Oriya, Hindi/Gujarati etc.), which can sometimes be a help.

Interesting about the Kutch diaspora...maybe some of the Indian-Americans I've met who identified themselves as 'Gujarati' were in fact Kutchi specifically and simply didn't mention it; it's just that I'd never heard that before.
I've been all over Florida though. And I mean all over. Even to the Yeehaw Junction trailer.
I've seen Yeehaw Junction too, haha. Not intentionally--we were trying to find Fort Drum (the wildlife/hiking area, not the historical site) and overshot it by several miles the first time around. Florida actually has some pretty good hiking if you don't mind getting your feet wet, and great wildlife sighting. We really liked Apalachicola, the Everglades, Cedar Key and the area around Ocala National Forest. For the most part we avoided the big cities though, except for Miami of course. :wink:

Last edited:
US States: New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Massachussetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Virginia, West Virginia, Arizona, Texas, California, Nevada.

I think that's half! Not bad for a non-American...

Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba.

In Europe: Ireland, England, Spain, France, Germany, Denmark, Czech Republic, Slovakia, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro.

It is true that Europe (excluding the European portions of Russia, Turkey and the South Caucasus countries) is geopolitically the most thoroughly partitioned continent on the planet, and not because it's actually any more diverse than Africa or Asia by the usual indicators--language, cultural distinctiveness, majority religious denomination, past array of imperial influences, etc. So in some cases it might genuinely be misleading to measure 'well-traveledness' by number of countries visited. FWIW.

Last edited:
US States: New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Massachussetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Virginia, West Virginia, Arizona, Texas, California, Nevada.

I think that's half! Not bad for a non-American...

That's better than most Americans.

I've been to every state except Alaska, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Mississippi. Two targeted trips could take care of all of those.

Next, I'm going to aim for all of the state capitals.

Mark

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in this thread, because I've never been outside of Australia. But don't get me wrong, I'd love to be anywhere but Australia. My sister travelled Europe and lived in Northern England for two years (she only just came back home yesterday, in fact) so I'm itching to get over there. But really, any continent sounds good to me. I can't tell which one I'd like to visit first, but my sister, cousin and I made a pact that we're going to have a Turkey tour one day, so as far as I'm concerned that absolutely must be done - really want to visit Greece, Croatia (Dubrovnik is meant to be amazing), Spain, Czech Republic, British Isles, Germany... you get the idea, pretty much anywhere in Europe.

My has long lived in Chile so there's always that connection, I'm pretty rapt about visiting the Americas and wouldn't want to restrict it to just one continent, because it's got pretty much everything there. Personally, I think the USA is one of the most geographically beautiful countries in the world, and there are a lot of historical sites there I'd like to visit. Also you American guys have some dope microbreweries. Canada, man, Canada looks awesome - west and east both. Is there anything in between them, though? Calgary? That doesn't look like much.

Anyway, I'll get to Asia, Africa and the rest of Oceania some other day. Wait, Oceania's easy - I want to go to heaps of little Polynesian islands. I'm more interested in that than going to New Zealand, even though I know it's full of gorgeous scenery. I guess I just imagine it being too close to Australia, and I want to feel more like a tourist.

Alright, now about Australia. This is the only part of the post worth probably reading:
Best place: Melbourne is my favourite city besides Adelaide. It's got a lot going for it, great food (Lygon St ftw), great buildings, great culture (The NGV is amazing). It's busy, and fun. Probably the only other city in Australia I think I could live in easily.
Worst place: I've enjoyed every city I've been to in Australia to at least some extent, although my memory of Sydney is pretty faint - I haven't been outside the airport there since I was a kid. I'm going to say that dodgy Medieval-themed park in inland Victoria. Or Brisbane. Whatev.

Canada, man, Canada looks awesome - west and east both. Is there anything in between them, though? Calgary? That doesn't look like much.

Minnesota is between the coasts of Canada (at least in spirit and climate). :wink:

We have that little tip of land (mostly water) that extends up into Canada making MN the northern-most of the Lower 48. And, starting in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesotans sound like Canadians. :D

Mark

Canada, man, Canada looks awesome - west and east both. Is there anything in between them, though? Calgary? That doesn't look like much.

Calgary IS western Canada. And the area around it (the Rockies with Banff and Jasper) is maybe the most beautiful place in Canada, and with due respect to our neighbours down south, our Rockies rock yours.

Back
Top Bottom