guys, this was originally for alan jamison, but i'm sharing it with you anyway, guys.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
as many of you know, alan jamison is desperate (utterly... UTTERLY desperate... it can't said enough) to become english. as a result, i decided to make a test for him to see if he knows jack shit about the united kingdom.

if this is of interest to you, then have at it. if not, then... go away... i guess?

gb_arms.jpg

please bold your answer to each of the following irrelevant questions:

1. how do you pronounce military?
a) mill-a-tear-ee
b) mill-a-tree
c) mili-tree

2. how do you pronounce tomato?
a) toe-maw-toe
b) toe-may-toe
c) ta-maw-toe

3. who is entitled to a standard british passport?
a) citizens of great britain + northern ireland
b) citizens of great britain + northern ireland + dependencies
c) noone is entitled to a british passport

4. prior to the introduction of passports, 'safe conduct' documents, usually notes signed by the monarch, were issued to foreigners as well as english subjects in medieval times. what language were they printed in between 1772 and 1858?
a) english
b) latin
c) french

5. what is the title of the minister who oversees finances for the united kingdom?
a) minister of finance
b) chancellor
c) chancellor of the exchequer

6. mp david miliband, representing south shields, currently holds this position in gordon brown's labour cabinet:
a) foreign minister
b) secretary of state for foreign and commonwealth affairs
c) environment secretary

7. what dating method does the british government, as well as british society at large use?
a) mm/dd/yy
b) dd/mm/yy
c) yy/mm/dd

8. queen elizabeth II supports which premier league football club?
a) arsenal
b) chelsea
c) tottenham

9. the mercury prize is awarded annually:
a) for the best album from the united kingdom or ireland
b) to those who've demonstrated extraordinary courage in the face of danger
c) to scientists and their respective organisations who have demonstrated a leading role in discovering effective methods to combat climate change

10. english is the official language of the united kingdom. which regional language is not recognised?
a) cornish
b) gaelic
c) french

11. which is england's third largest city?
a) liverpool
b) birmingham
c) leeds

12. in what year did britain grant canada, australia and new zealand full foreign independence?
a) 1931
b) 1956
c) 1964

13. what does the OBE represent?
a) the order of the best in excellence
b) the order of british excellence
c) the order of the british empire

14. how does one pronounce "status" in posh english?
a) stay-tuss
b) sta-tis
c) stat-ts

15. which of the following british celebrities grew up in south london, and possesses a most unfortunate "sarf landun" accent?
a) ricky gervais
b) amy whinehouse
c) chris martin

16. the engish national team of this sport have returned to india to play:
a) football
b) rugby
c) cricket

17. companies (corporations such as barclays, vodafone, etc.) and bands such as radiohead and massive attack can be discussed using different grammatical methods than those practised in certain other english speaking countries. which sentence is most likely to be heard in britain:

a) vodafone is a company on the rebound.
b) vodafone are a company on the rebound.
c) neither.

18. which of the following samples are british political parties who currently hold seats in parliament?
a) labour, liberal-democrats, tories, scottish national party,
b) labour, tories, christian-democrats, british national party
c) labour, tories, new democrats, green party, liberal party

19. which british-based bank was nationalised and rescued from ruin by the bank of england nearly a year ago?
a) barclays
b) lloyds tsb
c) northern rock

20. which of the following samples are not exclusively british daily newspapers?
a) the guardian, the times, the independent, the sun
b) the guardian, the globe and mail, the daily mail, the telegraph
c) the guardian, the sun, the observer, the times

thats great Zooms, but, considering Alan has more braincells in his pants than his head, Im not sure he will be successful.

But, I shall go knock on his door later, serve him toast and jam, and encourage him to play a little bit of the game Tiddlywinks before I make him take your test.

:up:

thats great Zooms, but, considering Alan has more braincells in his pants than his head, Im not sure he will be successful.

But, I shall go knock on his door later, serve him toast and jam, and encourage him to play a little bit of the game Tiddlywinks before I make him take your test.

I'm so furious, I'm gonna pull you out to the dance floor and make you dance, and I know you hate that! :angry:

no, no, do it, DO IT! I love dancing.

I esp love how you take my handbag and set it on middle of floor and make me dance over and round it while you dance by shaking your hips and stiffen-swing your arms with your back in an awfully tight position like you were being electrocuted up the ass!

Well, that's 'cause I usually do plug a power cord up my ass whilst out on the floor. That's how I do my "Weekend at Bernie's" dance. ;)

This settles it, when I get to Belfast we're going dancing! :angry:

really?

are you sure its not the Black and Decker multi-disfunctional-cable provider-insider plug with three free prongs on it?

that was your anniversary gift to me.

oh yes, please, lets dance when you get here! :yes: Promise me you will wear your big flashers cape like you do in all your videos?

answer my fucking questions.

do it jamison.

actually, i don't care. this goes out to everyone. lets see your answers. i want to see your answers.

i i iii asdfiafafasf
af
adfafsdaf

ARGH

if they're going to take the time to do this, they're not going to bother to cheat. there's less point in cheating than there is in even taking this stupid quiz.

Alan you are a CHEATER! :angry:

Here are my answers:

a) mill-a-tear-ee
b) mill-a-tree
c) mili-tree

a) toe-maw-toe
b) toe-may-toe
c) ta-maw-toe

d) Alan Jamison, please send him over the pond for good.

c) mili-tree

to-maw-toe

4. prior to the introduction of passports, 'safe conduct' documents, usually notes signed by the monarch, were issued to foreigners as well as english subjects in medieval times. what language were they printed in between 1772 and 1858?
d) dans all tres!

5. what is the title of the minister who oversees finances for the united kingdom?

6. mp david miliband, representing south shields, currently holds this position in gordon brown's labour cabinet:

7. what dating method does the british government, as well as british society at large use?
b) dd/mm/yy

b) chelsea

10. english is the official language of the united kingdom. which regional language is not recognised?
a) cornish

Depends what you mean by 'largest' because Birmingham is the second largest in terms of important but probably not physical size... so. I Don't know. Manchester?

12. in what year did britain grant canada, australia and new zealand full foreign independence?

b) sta-tis

15. which of the following british celebrities grew up in south london, and possesses a most unfortunate "sarf landun" accent?
b) amy winehouse

c) cricket

17. companies (corporations such as barclays, vodafone, etc.) and bands such as radiohead and massive attack can be discussed using different grammatical methods than those practised in certain other english speaking countries. which sentence is most likely to be heard in britain:
d) haven't a bloody clue what this question is supposed to mean!

18. which of the following samples are british political parties who currently hold seats in parliament?

19. which british-based bank was nationalised and rescued from ruin by the bank of england nearly a year ago?
c) northern rock

20. which of the following samples are not exclusively british daily newspapers?

...how did I do?! :hyper:

Ah, but if you were English you could be :wink: We English are well known for our perseverance and ability to do thankless, menial things.

a) mill-a-tear-ee
b) mill-a-tree
c) mili-tree

a) toe-maw-toe
b) toe-may-toe
c) ta-maw-toe

a) english
b) latin
c) french

a) minister of finance
b) chancellor

a) foreign minister
c) environment secretary

a) mm/dd/yy
b) dd/mm/yy
c) yy/mm/dd

a) arsenal
b) chelsea
c) tottenham

c) to scientists and their respective organisations who have demonstrated a leading role in discovering effective methods to combat climate change

a) cornish
b) gaelic
c) french

a) liverpool
b) birmingham
c) leeds

a) 1931
b) 1956
c) 1964

a) stay-tuss
b) sta-tis
c) stat-ts

a) ricky gervais
b) amy whinehouse
c) chris martin

a) football
b) rugby
c) cricket

c) neither.

a) barclays
b) lloyds tsb
c) northern rock

c) the guardian, the sun, the observer, the times

here are the answers, folks. as kieran suggested, many were trick questions.

a) mill-a-tear-ee
b) mill-a-tree
c) mili-tree

i should have made this one clearer but i wanted to screw jamison up easier... the correct answer is b. c is close, but the sound i was trying to make is similar to mili in mili vanilli or however you spell that particular pop ensemble.

a) toe-maw-toe
b) toe-may-toe
c) ta-maw-toe

a or c would be acceptable.

this is a trick question. noone is entitled to any passport, let alone british. one has to apply for it. kudos to those who got this one right.

a) english
b) latin
c) french

the answer is french, believe it or not.

a) minister of finance
b) chancellor

current chancellor alistair darling was pm gordon brown's successor to the post.

a) foreign minister
c) environment secretary

there is no "foreign minister" title. miliband was previously environment secretary, and believed to harbour leadership asperations.

a) mm/dd/yy
b) dd/mm/yy
c) yy/mm/dd

today is 16 december 2008. though many websites such as the guardian and the times would, for example write december 16 2008, all would enter the date numberically as 16.12.08 (or substitute the decimals with /).

a) arsenal
b) chelsea
c) tottenham

she has been cited as saying she favours this particular north london side.

this particular award was dismissed as being pointless by murdoc of the gorillaz a number of years ago, and not too surprisingly has seen all damon albarn related projects go by unnoticed.

a) cornish
b) gaelic
c) french

this was an easy one, i suppose.

a) liverpool
b) birmingham
c) leeds

third largest city in england, fourth largest in the united kingdom one below glasgow.

a) 1931
b) 1956
c) 1964

a) stay-tuss
b) sta-tis
c) stat-ts

another trick question, and by no means definite... perhaps stay-tis would be the best choice.

a) ricky gervais
b) amy whinehouse
c) chris martin

this is my partner's fault. really, this one has no right answer... though amy does possess the worst of all english accents.

a) football
b) rugby
c) cricket

c) neither.

i have no idea why i picked "on the rebound" to end this sentence. you wouldnt hear that on the street.

a) barclays
b) lloyds tsb
c) northern rock

c) the guardian, the sun, the observer, the times[/QUOTE]

the globe and mail is a canadian daily paper. a good one too, at that. after making this pole, i noticed another mistake i made, and i should apologise for that as well... the observer is not a "daily" paper per se.

so there you have it.

alan jamison, you are not english.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom