Going to Ireland - Tips and Suggestions Welcomed - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 12:15 AM
For whatever reason, I had old men hitting on me the first time I traveled over there. It became a running joke between my friend and I. It never failed, I would always have a man old enough to be my grandfather chatting with me and buying me drinks. It was hilarious. Anyway, one man in a pub kindly inquired about what I did for a living. I explained to him that I was in the retirement services industry and I help people with their retirement funding, etc. He took a sip from his pint and kindly told me that I work too hard and that was a problem with Americans. After that conversation, my friend took a picture of me with him, and he kissed my cheek when the picture was taken. Then when I was in Dublin, my friend and I were walking out of a store and an older man walked in and stopped as we walked out. He grabbed my hand, and started singing to me. It was all too weird. At least I know I can pull an old drunk Irishman.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Oh Gawd, I want to go back to Ireland RIGHT.NOW. The 2 1/2 days we spent in Dublin was only enough time to hit some of the things I wanted to see in the city. We didn't get to any of the countryside (which I know is nearly criminal!), but I've got a plan to fix that: Kelly & I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in 2012 & I intend to spend 2wks in Ireland to celebrate. It'll be a long wait, but that'll just give me more time to plot our travels.

By the way, I highly recommend the Bulmer's Apple Cider.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:15 AM
I didn't get out to the countryside when I went last summer. I regret that, but I'm planning on going back in the next two years.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

I've been really "homesick" for Ireland since we got back last July.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #95
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
I've been really "homesick" for Ireland since we got back last July.
Same here. But it feels better now I know I'm going back.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Same here. But it feels better now I know I'm going back.

Yeah, that would work! Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:15 PM
I was a little Ireland'd out after so much research, so I mostly took a break this week.

BUT! I had the most brilliant idea I've ever had this week -

I've been worried about driving immediately after getting off a plane all jet-lagged and junk - if I wanted to go straight to Kinsale, I'd have to rent a car at the airport and drive the half hour drive with no time to rest and adjust, and that just freaked me out.

Well, I woke up thinking this week, why not start the trip in Dublin and do my planned itinerary backward? Spend the few carless days there at the START of the trip, rather than the end?

Then I'm rested and acclimated and can deal with the car after I've caught the train to Galway, then spend time in the west, and do Dingle, and then fly out of Cork at the end of the trip.

Problem solved. Huzzah! I am so S-M-R-T.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I was a little Ireland'd out after so much research, so I mostly took a break this week.

I've been worried about driving immediately after getting off a plane all jet-lagged and junk - if I wanted to go straight to Kinsale, I'd have to rent a car at the airport and drive the half hour drive with no time to rest and adjust, and that just freaked me out.

Well, I woke up thinking this week, why not start the trip in Dublin and do my planned itinerary backward? Spend the few carless days there at the START of the trip, rather than the end?

Then I'm rested and acclimated and can deal with the car after I've caught the train to Galway, then spend time in the west, and do Dingle, and then fly out of Cork at the end of the trip.

There you go--great idea!

If you decide to go to Newgrange and Knowth, here is the info on Over The Top Tours, which picked us up at our hotel, took us to the Bru na Boine visitor center (access to both Newgrange and Knowth), and returned us to our hotel.

http://overthetoptours.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
For whatever reason, I had old men hitting on me the first time I traveled over there. It became a running joke between my friend and I. It never failed, I would always have a man old enough to be my grandfather chatting with me and buying me drinks. It was hilarious. Anyway, one man in a pub kindly inquired about what I did for a living. I explained to him that I was in the retirement services industry and I help people with their retirement funding, etc. He took a sip from his pint and kindly told me that I work too hard and that was a problem with Americans. After that conversation, my friend took a picture of me with him, and he kissed my cheek when the picture was taken. Then when I was in Dublin, my friend and I were walking out of a store and an older man walked in and stopped as we walked out. He grabbed my hand, and started singing to me. It was all too weird. At least I know I can pull an old drunk Irishman.

That is hilarious.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:

btw.... sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

Through a fun chain of events, I found myself in the company of 4 Irish men tonight.

That doesn't really have anything to do with my trip, but I was tickled by that chain of events.

They're here on business, but stuck here due to the Iceland volcano shenanigans.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #102
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:

\

This is an excellent idea. Is it cheaper or more expensive to do it this way?

Also so cool meeting up with the Irishmen the other night. Sorry to hear their trip was extended due to the volcanic ash, but then you had a chance to enjoy some true Irish company! Did they give you any good suggestions to use on your trip?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, one of them told me to go in September instead of May, as the weather would be sunnier. I'll definitely consider it, but having cloudy/rainy weather really wasn't behind my reasoning for going in May, so I don't know that I'll change my mind.

I haven't checked into flight differences about going into Dublin and out of Cork - I can't imagine it would be any different than vice versa - it's only $40 more at this point to fly round trip in and out of Dublin than to go into one and out of the other. Even flying into Shannon and out of Dublin was about the same price.

As they all worked for Ryan Air, I did give them shit about charging fees for the toilets, though.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #104
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:

As they all worked for Ryan Air, I did give them shit about charging fees for the toilets, though.
Good for you, I think that is so stupid to even CONSIDER doing!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Hulu - Three Sheets: Ireland - Watch the full episode now.