Going to Ireland - Tips and Suggestions Welcomed - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Cider with a Guiness chaser? Or vice versa?
The cider is just lovely by itself, but it *is* a "hard" cider. I'm not a fan of Guinness. Our tour bus driver told us "Sometimes the ladies add blackberry cordial to their Guinesss to make it taste better." Tried that at Paddy Burke's Pub in Clarinbridge, but it was just nasty!!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:58 AM
I generally prefer hard cider to beer, but I am slowly coming around from my previous "Guiness, BLECHHHHH!" stance to actually kind of liking it. And that's just the American-poured version, so I look forward to trying a "real" Guiness.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
The cider is just lovely by itself, but it *is* a "hard" cider. I'm not a fan of Guinness. Our tour bus driver told us "Sometimes the ladies add blackberry cordial to their Guinesss to make it taste better." Tried that at Paddy Burke's Pub in Clarinbridge, but it was just nasty!!
That's the only place I've ever had oysters.

Cori, if you order steak anywhere they tend to cook it quite a bit longer than would be standard in the U.S. If you think you'll be in the county Galway for a bit I know a good B&B in Loughrea. Anne always serves a great breakfast and the lake is a block away so you can get in a good run beforehand.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, what's the name of the B&B? I'll add it to my list for looking into.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #50
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I look forward to trying a "real" Guiness.
I know everyone says this but it's totally true....the Guinness in Ireland is so much better than anywhere else. I generally only drink Guinness when I order beer so I'm fairly familiar with it and there was just such a different, smoother taste in Ireland. I really wish I would have tried it with cider but I was just too caught up in the moment of being there to even think about it. I always order a Guinness mix at the pubs here.

Also, just a little randomness about food....I've been a vegetarian for almost all of my life so I was very concerned about the food situation to the point that I brought packets of Easy Mac and a jar of peanut butter with me. But I was pleasantly surprised with the veggie options on the menu. Many of them had a notation that said suitable for vegetarians. I think I only ran into one issue with food the whole time there and it was at the Clarence There was NOTHING on the menu that I could even make into my own sort of veggie dish so I think I had green beans and bread
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm already anticipating not being able to get a real feel for the food there, as so much of it seems to be meat-based.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my stomach tends to rebel against big portions of red meat these days. I'll probably be okay, and will veer towards soups and seafood a lot, if not outright lighter meals in general.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Had seafood chowder at several places, but I think the best was at the dining room at the Atlantic Hotel in Lahinch. We were on a guided bus tour, so the bus would park and everyone would scatter to where they decided to eat. Paddy Martin, our driver and tour guide, said, "Be back on the bus at two-turdy." We also noticed that the beef, as in hamburgers, tasted different in different areas. Learned on Bobby Flay's Ireland show on the Food Network near St. Patrick's that's because of the different kinds of grass upon which the cattle feed in different areas. And bacon was always Canadian bacon!

Our hotels were arranged by the travel agent who booked the tour. They were very nice, but kinda pricey, I think. Two nights at the Radisson in Galway, two nights at the Killarney Park Plaza, two nights at the Trident at World's End in Kinsale, and two nights at the Radisson in Dublin.

Oh, Cori, you are going to have such a wonderful time--and yes, I am envious!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
The Clarence is still at the top of my list for hotels in Dublin! Would love to see recommendations for B&Bs! I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll add them to my ridiculously-long (and growing) lists of information.
Last time I went to Dublin, I just looked up B&Bs in the Yellow Pages and ended up in Ballsbridge on the Southside. Can't remember the name of the place and who knows if it's still operating, but they're all pretty much the same. Octagon Bar in the Clarence is good for a drink, or three....

And I'm sorry to point and laugh, but I laughed at the comments about the jet lag. After only 10 hours? After a 24 hour flight from Australia to Europe, one tends to look and feel and smell like this...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

The farthest I've flown is Seattle to New York, so anything more than 6 hours is completely new to me. Maybe I'm over-worrying about how much jet lag I'll have after landing, but I am a little concerned about hopping off the plane and immediately renting a car and having to deal with learning how to do it without some rest first. Especially since I have such trouble sleeping on a plane. (Maybe with an 18 hour flight, it won't be a problem!)

I'll look at my options.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

You might need to borrow my noise cancellation headsets.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
The farthest I've flown is Seattle to New York, so anything more than 6 hours is completely new to me. Maybe I'm over-worrying about how much jet lag I'll have after landing, but I am a little concerned about hopping off the plane and immediately renting a car and having to deal with learning how to do it without some rest first. Especially since I have such trouble sleeping on a plane. (Maybe with an 18 hour flight, it won't be a problem!)

I'll look at my options.
I only got 2 hours on the plane when I went over. From doing GA 2 shows in a row and that, I had 14 hours of sleep in 3 days.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, what's the name of the B&B? I'll add it to my list for looking into.
Noel and Ann Donnellan
Fairhill House B&B

Ann gave me my first glass of whiskey. I know you'd tolerate it better than I do.

I wouldn't worry about jetlag. Stay active, you can sleep in Seattle.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Don't forget your galoshes
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

No room. I'll bring waterproof hiking shoes.

If I can survive Seattle in the spring without galoshes, I'll be fine in Ireland without them!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And get a sheleighly at the airport to keep those Irish boys from getting too close...

Actually, I just like typing words like shawl, galoshes & sheleighly

I don't even know what a sheleighly is

Have a great time!