Going to Ireland - Tips and Suggestions Welcomed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Hope you don't mind me stealing info from your thread, but I'm going to Ireland too this summer. *scribbles down all the advice*

And the Northern Ireland's coast with Giant's causeway is amazing. We had a bus tour, first with the train from Dublin to Belfast, then bus tour along the coast. It was amazing!

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Please, steal away!

I've already heard about the outrageous prices of food, so I'm good on that end.

Also, I might look into flying into Shannon. It seems like Cork is kind of the outlier on my trip - there's not all that much I want to see there, and if I can't track down some information about my Sullivan relatives from Cork before I go, I really have no reason to go to Cork, other than it's a more convenient place to fly into than Dublin for the start of the trip.

I'll look into that.

Definitely want to go to the Aran Islands, and I had a friend rave to me about Skellig Michael, although that's off the Penninsula where the Ring of Kerry is, and I'm doing the Dingle Ring instead ..... arrrrrgh, there's just too much to see!

Thanks again for all the tips and well-wishes. Yolland, thanks especially for the driving tips. I was thinking to myself last night, "Well, you drive on the left all the time on one-way streets, how hard can it be!" But yeah, not quite the same.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 AM
I think that the airfare prices are better when you fly into Shannon. I have been to Ireland twice. Once flying into Dublin and then flying out of Shannon and the opposite for the second time we went last July.

yes, so much to see but you have plenty of time to research the best places and such so you have that in your favor.

I love that place! And miss it so! Could so live there if I could swing it..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
I think that the airfare prices are better when you fly into Shannon. I have been to Ireland twice. Once flying into Dublin and then flying out of Shannon and the opposite for the second time we went last July.
Cool! I'll definitely look into that. It's so far in the future, I'm not able to get a good grasp of cost yet, but I think I have a decent estimate of the range it might cost me for flying.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:09 AM
We went last summer. Dingle Peninsula

I also highly recommend the Rock of Cashel, southwest of Dublin:

and the 5000-year-old Knowth and Newgrange burial mounds just northeast of Dublin, if you're into that sort of thing (I am!)

Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Definitely doing the Dingle Penninsula, definitely doing Newgrange, will check into the Rock of Cashel. I was reading about it this morning and it looks awesome - I'll have to see if I can squeeze that in and it's not totally out of the way.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #22
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Wow, sooo jealous! No matter what you plan and what you get to see it will be memorable and you will end up going back again (and perhaps again and again even). Pub food is the best for taste, value and ambience. We fueled up on the Irish breakfasts each place we stayed because it was included in our tour price. Driving on the wrong side of the road is scary-then throw in roundabouts, traffic or VERY narrow cliff hugging roads, some nasty rainfall and the one way streets....Impossible! Next time I'm doing the Belfast visit, Arran Islands, Cliffs of Mohr, Giants Causeway end. Dingle and the Ring of Kerry are GORGEOUS in any kind of weather. The people are so friendly especially in the smaller villages and you will see more shades of green than you ever thought existed. Cork is interesting for the historic and ancestral traveler. We loved the castles, ruins and old graveyards. We were so blessed with ideal dry weather in mid Oct when we were there, but be prepared for all kinds of weather which you can experience in the course of a single day. Finding the locals favorite pub was also a treat as we enjoyed quite a bit of free entertainment along the route. You are going to have a fantastic time. Ireland is so beautiful, you will leave a part of your there!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

I figure I'll be eating at a lot of pubs, rather than anything fancy.

I am, however, severely intimidated by the Irish breakfasts - I could barely handle all that food for dinner, much less breakfast!

I'm going to research what all on my "wish list" I could see by basing myself out of Galway for half the trip and Dublin for the other, utilizing tours and whatnot to take day trips to sites. I want to see how much I'd miss out on if I don't have a car, because some days I look at the driving piece as an adventure I'll look back on later and laugh about, and then other days I think about it and just want to cry.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #24
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I thought the same about the breakfasts because I am not a morning person and I'd prefer to eat breakfasts foods at dinnertime. I usually only eat one time a day. BUT....being so busy and in all that fresh air I was shocked at how hungry I was in the mornings (which coming from California there was quite a time difference to adjust to) I actually really looked forward to the breakfasts. Of the 3 weeks we were in the UK I think I only skipped 2 mornings and ate light about 1/3 of the mornings. I'd grab whole fruit and wrap up rolls or croissants sometimes to bring with us to munch during the day then would only buy one meal which was usually a very late lunch/early dinner pub meal. If we happened to stop somewhere there was food I'd usually get a drink and maybe bag of crisps or sweets or a small meat pie, depending on my hunger and energy level. The breakfasts were magnificent though....cereals, a number of different juices, fresh fruit and whole fruit, a well selection of breads, jams honey and butter, porridge, yogurts, tea or coffee, sometimes pancakes or waffles, sometimes omelets, but always sausages, bacon, ham, "rashers", grilled tomatoes, some kind of potato, eggs all kinds of different ways, black pudding (didn't like that). If you have breakfast included, take full advantage of it. You'll likely find you're hungry in the morning like I did.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Cool, thanks for the tips!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Irish breakfast = awesome. Though I usually eat a bunch for breakfast, so it wasn't too much for me to stomach. I cant' wait for my breakfast the first morning of my stay, you get one for free at the appartment we're staying at.

And pub food I can vouch for as well, been to a couple, food's always been good. Do people have suggestions for which pub to visit?

Also, if you want some really good Fish 'n Chips, check out Burdocks! Even U2 and Larry's dad are regular visitors there.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

I think what surprised me most about the breakfasts was that pork and beans were always on the buffet--tasted just like good old Campbell's Pork and Beans when I tried it. Didn't find any good scrambled eggs until our last hotel, in Dublin. The porridge (oatmeal based) was good everywhere. Scones with raisins. Pan au chocolat some places.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Don't forget to pack a shawl!

oh, and a couple of these to listen to while riding on the train.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyharhar View Post
Don't forget to pack a shawl!

oh, and a couple of these to listen to while riding on the train.

And since you'll be in the Galway/Dingle area, DO NOT miss The Cliffs of Moher!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

That's definitely on the agenda!