Gas Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shrug: we fill our gas tanks with erm.. like 3 $

At least something good comes from living in my country :grumpy:

FYK a 2L bottle of coca cola costs 2 $ and a 1L bottle of water costs 1 $ :huh:

Last edited:
Why lookie there, who's almost the greenest state? Freakin' Texas.

:shifty: yes, I AM reaping the benefits of this...but soon and very soon I will be returning to reddish orange Chicagoland where I can feel less guilty about it.

Carek1230 said:
Gas prices are astronomical. I swear prices go up on average 2 cents per day. When is it going to stop?

Probably not anytime soon since some analysts are now saying that oil is headed for $200 per barrel. Let the good times roll!

ntalwar said:
Europe doesn't have the level of suburban sprawl that exists in the US - it's much more dense, walkable, and mass transit-oriented. Most European cities were built before cars were invented, and the car ownership rate is lower and commutes are shorter.

bingo.

if i could take mass transit to work, i would. but my job is just far enough away from any train station to be walkable, and the LIRR won't allow bikes on peak (rush) hour trains.

i am looking into moving closer to work to offsent prices. hopefully by july.

I'm in Scotland, never had a car (never been able to afford or have one) but i do notice the prices of petrol and like a few people here have mentioned, i can't believe it when i read of people in the US complaining about the price of petrol (or gas as you call it there!) when i know how much more expensive it costs here!! It seems like it's around 4 times cheaper over there - though admittedley, the UK does have the NHS! (we have that benefit!)

Though i do realise that the UK is not as much of a car-centric country as the US is (for example, as Q1! said, it would be unimaginable for us NOT to have sidewalks - pavements, as their proper name is! -, as we do have a pretty good public transport system here (despite some expensive prices) and we're a much smaller place, so it's a whole different thing going on culturally really!

You are right Susan, petrol is more expensive than what we pay here in the US. Having a car is a priviledge and expensive. I only know the difficulty of trying to keep up with auto expense as an American car owner. Add to that along with daily rising gas prices the fact that food prices, prices for other services and goods also rise as transportation costs rise and so does everything else. When does it end?

Hey the real tragedy here is Canada, which is more vast than the US, has more oil than the US and our prices are at $4.70ish/gallon....

corianderstem said:
Yeah, I have to say that it rubs me the wrong way a little bit when non-Americans chide us for complaining about gas prices.

I understand that we pay a lot less than other countries, but that doesn't mean a lot of Americans don't hurt when our prices rise little by little.

At work, I talk to employees who are working retail, trying to provide for a family on wages that are frankly, not nearly enough to do so. They struggle to make ends meet as it is, and rising gas prices mean something else has to not get paid to ensure they can get to work.

What a slap in the face to have imply they should suck it up and stop their bitching, because they're not really paying that much for gas in comparison.

and europeans don't have this problem?

i'm well aware that public transport is a lot better in europe than north america, which affords europeans to travel around easier without their cars, but there are many, many areas outside the berlins, romes, londons, and viennas, where public transport isn't much of a possibility either.

where do you live? and what do you mean by public transport?

i find that incredibly hard to believe. if one lives in a city and relies on public transport (assuming they have all or a combination of underground, tram, and bus systems), you would spend FAR less than if you had a car.

^ Yeah, say the average person spends about $100/mo on insurance, $300/mo on the car payment, and who knows, like $100/mo on gas? How can public transport be more than $500/mo?

I think ours is $1 per bus ride, so $2/day if you are going to/from work, and I think students can get cheaper packages. However the buses don't run 24/7 and they cover a limited area. Chicago was $2.50 a ride I think? But their buses come by every few minutes and go all over, I'd definitely be on the bus if I lived there!

Bus prices suck here. Its £2.40 generally on the bus, although I get half price as Im a student. But £2.40 is almost 2 litres of petrols price. So whats better? :huh:

I would love a car, but theres just no point is there? Id never afford it. Ie been thinking about a motorbike though, trouble is no-one seems to sell any. :scratch: Even though this is apparantly the motorbike racing capital of the world. :lol:

Zoomerang96 said:
and europeans don't have this problem?

I don't know. Do they?

I just wanted to express my peevishness. If a European wants to bring their own rant, go for it.

I have a subsidized annual bus pass through my workplace, which is great. It costs $1.75 to ride the bus one way during peak times ($1.50 during the non-peak times), and more if you're crossing county lines.

Seattle's metro bus service has seen an increase in ridership and just raised their prices a quarter. Our subsidy for the passes have also increased twice in the past year (I'm now paying double what I did before), but it's still a great deal.

Liesje said:
^ Yeah, say the average person spends about $100/mo on insurance, $300/mo on the car payment, and who knows, like $100/mo on gas? How can public transport be more than $500/mo?

I think ours is $1 per bus ride, so $2/day if you are going to/from work, and I think students can get cheaper packages. However the buses don't run 24/7 and they cover a limited area. Chicago was $2.50 a ride I think? But their buses come by every few minutes and go all over, I'd definitely be on the bus if I lived there!

L Trains ftw :yes: I love Chicago Transit

PRICE OF GAS AROUND THE WORLD

Prices are quoted in US dollars per gallon for regular unleaded.
image001.jpg

Oslo , Norway
$6.82
image002.jpg

Hong Kong
$6.25
image003.jpg

Brussels, Belgium
$6.16
image005.jpg

London, UK
$5.96
image006.jpg

Rome, Italy
$5.80
image007.jpg

Rome, Italy
$5.80

image008.jpg

Tokyo, Japan
$5.25
image010.jpg

Sao Paulo, Brazil
$4.42
image010-1.jpg

New Delhi, India
$3.71
image011.jpg

Sidney , Australia
$3.42
image012.jpg

Johannesburg, South Africa
$3.39
image013.jpg

Mexico City
$2.22
Buenos Aires , Argentina
$2.09
... YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS ...

Zoomerang96 said:
where do you live? and what do you mean by public transport?

i find that incredibly hard to believe. if one lives in a city and relies on public transport (assuming they have all or a combination of underground, tram, and bus systems), you would spend FAR less than if you had a car.

I mean with trains for example! From my town to university it's exactly 23,80€ with return ticket (I just looked it up). So lets say it's 22 days/mo =523,60€ :ohmy:
Ok, if you live in town, it'll probably be cheaper using bus, tram etc. if you don't switch between different areas that often! But living outside a city, it's never cheaper/faster using trains!

Petrol prices are one of the reasons I don't ever want to drive, I much prefer walking.

I generally get a bus pass every week I have college for 18 euro and get the bus up and back or I walk it, it's 5km so it's a nice walk up if the weather is decent. Same with the city centre a nice 3 and a half km walk, and they're the only two places I go to that are out of the way really, so no need to do a driving test.

And since this is a gas price thing, a litre here is $1.85:wink:

Back
Top Bottom