Gas Prices - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

Just how crap is the public transport system in the US? Because the one in the UK has never been regarded as that brilliant, although if you live in major cities I'm guessing that it's quite good (Metro in Newcastle, Trams being reintroduced in Manchester, London's Underground and its congestion charge...was it Durham that introduced the congestion charge first? etc.). And I'm just curious as to what the US public transport system is like 'cos I don't live there so obviously it's hard for me to picture.
in my experience, the public transport in the UK is much better than the US overall. i mean the trains may not be brilliant compared to other european countries, but you can get all over the UK with trains. you can't here. and as for big cities, chicago is the only one here i have experience with. and the london tube is better.

from what i've heard when i've discussed this with people i know. (around here at least. we have no real public transit) but peoples attitudes are that they like driving their cars & don't like the idea of using public transit.

i had it described to me like this: "public transportation is so european, not american, we like our cars and that's just the way it is"

Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:28 PM
that may be the case for some people, but in most cases public transportation really just sucks. only a very few cities have decent systems. and then you have the sprawlburbs and all the people there that work in the city with absolutely zero mass transit nearby. it's a joke. they don't even have sidewalks around here. walking to the grocery store is almost unheard of, you'd have to have a death wish.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

The big cities all have pretty good public transportation systems. Except LA which is a disgrace. But the ones on the east coast are all pretty solid, I thought. Including Canadian cities like Toronto, Montreal, etc.

However, considering the mad housing prices of the last 5 or so years many people cannot afford to live near their jobs particularly if they work smack in the middle of downtown or have large families that can't fit into box like condos.

Real estate is insane. For example, I pay half price for my parking at work at the hospital because I am an employee of their research institute. At 50% discount, I pay $130/month (!). That shows you what a premium you pay to live downtown in a top 5 city. So with these prices, I can't afford to live anywhere near work which pushes me out to the suburbs, which then increases my travel time and costs and makes it very difficult to jump from transit to transit.

That's one problem, anyway.

The trains in North America are VERY expensive and the distances are absolutely huge. It would take me 4-5 days on a train to get to the other side of Canada - nobody in Europe can say that even about all of Europe, much less their own country. Our intercontinental flights are really expensive - we have no such thing as RyanAir travel for 15 quid here.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 AM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 PM
FUCKIN HELL you americans don't know your born !!! You wanna try paying our (UK) petrol prices !!We're paying nearly £5 a gallon now...it really is taking the piss....but like nice little Brits we will moan like fuck about it and actually do bugger all
Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002

Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:28 PM
and we do have people giving arms and legs for oil

I got plenty of money

gas prices don't slow me down

hey ho, lets go!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:55 PM   #52
I serve MacPhisto

As long as you keep paying, as far as I understand economics, gas stations and oil companies are going to keep charging high prices for it... supply and demand. If you're already paying $3, they don't exactly have a lot of incentive to just drop the price to $2.50 when people will still buy for $3.

There're always alternatives.

That said, I'll sooner move to Europe exclusively for the transportation system than have a car of my own. What a friggin white elephant automobile ownership is. Not just gas, but insurance prices.

Raise your hand if you aren't getting completely fleeced.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Hahahahaha!

Dooz.....great link.......
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Good point, actually. Personally, I am not driving less due to the higher gas prices. In Europe, they tax gas to death for some reason. If the politicians in the US tried to impose such a tax, they would be out of a job.

I'm not trying to be rude, but isn't there already a tax on gas and it's already added into the price (help me out I can't remember what this type of tax is called, but they do it to, i think, stamps and other items as well.).
Old 04-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Because of the prices and the fact that I HAVE to travel about 100 miles each day to work, I am seriously thinking on buying a Hybrid car.....but they are soooooo expensive and that defeats the whole saving money thing....

I was looking at the Toyota Camry-Hybrid....$26K! The Prius is $22K

Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

As of this morning, I'm happy to report that gas prices in my neighborhood have dropped 8 cents per gallon.

Now, the price is $2.89 here.

Although, it's not a huge drop ... I'm happy that it's somewhat lower than before !!

I hope the trend continues ...
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

i know. The Ford Escape is over $30K!

in the long run, you have to own that car 15 years in order to truly save money. i don't know if it is really worth it.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61
i know. The Ford Escape is over $30K!

in the long run, you have to own that car 15 years in order to truly save money. i don't know if it is really worth it.
I've heard that too - kinda discourages me from buying one....
Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #59
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Thanks for the link Doozer! It's funny, when I lived in Toronto and didn't know how to drive I couldn't have cared less about gas prices. Now I worry about them all the time! The price range here is $2.99-$3.15. When we are really broke we don't fill the tank, we just splash in $5 worth at a time and drive on fumes!

BTW, we have a subway system here, but it's mind bogglingly expensive. Of course they raise the prices during rush hour, right when you need it. It can cost upwards of $7 a DAY just to take the subway over and back, and then you have to pay $4 for parking your car in the lot on top of that!!!! Boy do I appreciate Toronto now!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212

I'm not trying to be rude, but isn't there already a tax on gas and it's already added into the price (help me out I can't remember what this type of tax is called, but they do it to, i think, stamps and other items as well.).
yes there is already a tax on gas here, but it's is far less than the tax on gas in europe.

Tags
gas prices