For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, another is the Coton de Tulear. They are more rare but are similar in temperament and size to a Bichon (I think the coat is more like a Havanese though) but I'm told they are more calm and docile. My cousin bought one from a breeder in town and is picking her up over spring break next week (my cousin is 12 and her Christmas present was that she could get a dog, she wanted a shelter dog but my uncle wanted a purebred). A Havanese or Shih Tzu might be OK too. I would avoid anything terrier or earthdog (yorkie, westie, scottie, PRT/JRT, dachshund/wiener) because of their energy and tenacity and would probably avoid the Pomeranian and the Papillon because of energy (though both are fun to train!).

Maybe I'll see if I can do a little research on Cavaliers and the other breeds you mentioned, and look into whether we have any reputable breeders around here. I totally hear you on the 'big yard' thing--I've already stressed to her several times that there's no such thing as a breed that reliably 'doesn't really need regular walks.' See, the thing is this lady basically doesn't seem to have many friends, and I think we might be the only people she really knows who own a dog...which puts us in the hilarious position of being the Puppy Advice Experts. In principle I don't mind taking her to the shelter to look at some dogs, we've helped her run errands before, but I'm worried that regardless of whether I and/or a shelter worker spotted a dog that seemed behaviorally like a good match for her, she'd wind up insisting on some other one that's clearly a poor choice but 'looks cuter' or whatever. :doh: It's just that I feel guilty being too naysayish with her, because she seems so lonely, really seems to want a dog badly, and she's always doted on Falstaff, used to run out every time we passed by to pet him back before he got too old for walks (I've already told her I think a pug puppy would be a BAD idea! ...though maybe I should try contacting pug rescue, just in case they have a mellow, well-trained middle-aged girl or something that I could maybe sell her on, since she liked Falstaff so much). Actually maybe I should try calling over at the shelter myself, running the situation by them, and seeing what they have to offer in the way of guidance. :hmm:

Well thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Australian Cattle Dog, aka Blue Heeler. He doesn't like water and HATES snow. :cute:

Oooh! Patch is adorable! You are going to have so much fun with him. :) I have always loved ACDs/Blue Heelers and finally got one about seven years ago. His name is Zeke and here are a couple of pics from when he was a puppy:

With his toys in his crate:
zekepuppywtoys.jpg

I think we had gotten that bone for our previous dog (a Great Pyrenees), but Zeke found it and loved it.
zekeandbone.jpg

He is such a such a great dog, and a smart little devil. I'm self employed and mostly work at home, but when I do leave the house for extended periods, I tell Zeke (as I'm closing the door) to keep the cats in line and to guard the house. Last week I had to be gone all day and followed this routine. Several hours later my brother (who lives right next door) called me and asked if Zeke was ok because he wouldn't come leave the house when my brother came over to let him out. I told my brother what I tell the dog before I leave, and he said "why don't I put you on speaker and you tell Zeke he can go outside?" So we did, and sure enough Zeke went outside, did his business and came right back in. :lol: He was a little confused when he heard my voice without seeing me, but he knew it was me and I'd given him permission, so he could go outside. He's a great companion (and a great cat-keeper-in-line too :wink: ).

Yolland, i had a King Charles Cavalier when i was younger. They are lovely gentle, loving dogs. Ours was a pure lapdog. :cute::love: They make amazing pets.

I miss him. :sad:

Love all the new dog pics. :love:

Indra that bone is huge. :lol: Looks the same size as Zeke at the time the pic was taken. :cute:

My brother sent me an article online and I felt the need to post it in this dog-lovin' thread...

Life Lessons From the Family Dog - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

.. and here's some text that I found in one of the responses to the article..

===

JUST A DOG
From time to time people tell me, “Lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or, “That’s a lot of money for just a dog.” They don’t understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for “Just a dog.” Some of my proudest moments have come about with “Just a dog.” Many hours have passed with my only company being “Just a dog.” and not once have I felt slighted. Some of my saddest moments were brought about by “Just a dog.” In those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “Just a dog” provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it’s “Just a dog,” you will probably understand phrases like “Just a friend,” “Just a sunrise,” or “Just a promise.” “Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. “Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person. Because of “Just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly into the future.
For me and folks like me, its not “Just a dog.” It’s an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. “Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.
I hope that someday people can understand it’s not “Just a dog.” It’s the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “Just a man or woman.”
So the next time you hear the phrase “Just a dog,” smile, because they “Just Don’t Understand.”
Author Unknown

:reject:

:depressed:

Though we have the new puppy, our 12-year-old yorkie is fading fast. We're taking him to the vet later today and preparing ourselves to say good-bye.
quincy.jpg

I'm gonna miss my little buddy.

AWWWWW.. I am so sorry to hear this. :sad: what's wrong with him that you have to do this?

Well, he's 12, for starters, blind, deaf, and he's developed a chronic cough over the past two weeks. Chronic cough usually suggests a weakened heart. Poor thing can't catch his breath for coughing. And I've tried to take his pulse, but his heart is just racing and fluttering. And he wants to be alone and hide behind the couch.

He's at the vet now, only a matter of time till I get the call from my mom letting me know if he's gone.

Well, he's 12, for starters, blind, deaf, and he's developed a chronic cough over the past two weeks. Chronic cough usually suggests a weakened heart. Poor thing can't catch his breath for coughing. And I've tried to take his pulse, but his heart is just racing and fluttering. And he wants to be alone and hide behind the couch.

He's at the vet now, only a matter of time till I get the call from my mom letting me know if he's gone.

oh my.. poor thing.. But a good life he had I am sure. Yes, it sounds like he's in pain and is suffering quite a bit. Taking him to vet at this point is the best thing for him. My heart breaks for you though.. :hug:

what a lovely little dog..:cute:

oh my.. poor thing.. But a good life he had I am sure. Yes, it sounds like he's in pain and is suffering quite a bit. Taking him to vet at this point is the best thing for him. My heart breaks for you though.. :hug:

what a lovely little dog..:cute:

Word from the vet says he's just sick, doesn't need to be put down! So I guess I'll be playing for some anti-biotics! *sigh of relief*

Yeah, he's pretty cute, but he stinks!

Word from the vet says he's just sick, doesn't need to be put down! So I guess I'll be playing for some anti-biotics! *sigh of relief*

Yeah, he's pretty cute, but he stinks!

Great news! :applaud:

I've had elderly pets that I thought weren't going to come back from a vet visit who turned out to have something fairly minor wrong with them and with a bit of treatment recovered nicely and kept chugging along. It is quite a relief! :yes:

Ok, so I have a dog that cries on his sleep and moves his legs like he was running. lol

I saw a clip on YouTube about a dog that does this as well.:)

Lovely photos, jets! My Grandpa has an elderly miniature schnauzer, she's quite nice, very heartwarming. I'm planning on taking her to the dog park during evenings to help him out a bit.

Reggo: I'm glad that there doesn't seem to be anything serious with your mate, but if there is, don't worry, be strong. :)

This is Blue Moon: (part 1 of 2 posts)

21532125.jpg

We had to let him go last October 6, he was 13 1/2. I still cry for him.

here he is on a backpacking trip in Wyoming:
img2994i.jpg

img2997b.jpg

he loved big sticks...
img4210w.jpg

img1784w.jpg

img1782q.jpg

img1783z.jpg

Blue Moon (post 2 of 2)

he also loved swimming ...

img0486n.jpg

img1822.jpg

and lots of hugs and kisses:
with my husband:
img4473c.jpg

and I:
img4661r.jpg

img4662x.jpg

a very cool dog:
img3187.jpg

img3238l.jpg

img1802tqy.jpg

img2425p.jpg

i miss you Blue...
img0778fbc.jpg

thanks, he was a fun dog too.
We took him everywhere from the US and Canadien Rockies and Nova Scotia, to NYC, Boston and Montreal and everywhere in between. A well traveled boy!

Thefly2U,
I love your pics of blue what a handsome boy he was.! I don't blame ya for missing him so. Looks like he had a great life!

I have a 7 month old chocolate Lab named Gracie..

here she is recently at a leash free dog park

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

in the snow
GracieSnowDawg.jpg

graciesnowdawg1.jpg

graciesnowdawg2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom