For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikon has certainly grown, but he looks no less adorable! I love the one of them all waitng for a treat, Lies.

I've been keeping Billie alone for the past few days. Great experience, I think - talked to a friend of a breeder toda at the dog park, I might be getting an Irish Wolfhound sometime this year. :happy:

That's a lotta dog!

One of Bailey for samralf (sorry about the eye!)
3164616731_7dda3689bf.jpg

George :cute:

OMG, what a day! Got up super early for a dog show. Then while I was in the shower someone pooped (diarrhea) on the carpet. Luckily I had enough time to SpotBot. Then the car was totally iced over, took forever to get moving. We needed gas, DH needed food, then we had to pull over b/c the wipers and the spray were iced and we couldn't see. Got to the show as it started, but then the judges took FOREVER and Nikon, Bailey, Billie, etc didn't even show until 2:30pm! Then I get home to find about 10 poop spots all over the carpet. Off-white carpet + German Shepherd diarrhea. I'm just glad I left the dogs out of their crates. Cleaning poo off the carpet IS actually easier than cleaning it off a very upset dog and all the wires of the crate. Everything has been SpotBotted and Febreezed, I'm thinking of borrowing a friend's carpet steamer again. I don't know what is wrong with Kenya. I gave all the dogs an Interceptor b/c they are due (maybe she has a parasite that will kill) and gave Kenya metronidazole, I know it's bad to just give one but it's my last resort, I have to work tomorrow and they don't take as kindly to staying home with a sick dog as a sick kid. She's in her crate and is being fasted for the day, poor thing. At least Nikon is passed out tired from the show! Coke got to ride in the car to the grocery store mid-SpotBotting b/c I ran out of cleaning solution.

So, how did they do? I hope Kenya is ok. Charlie got sick on Friday. He puked a bunch of times. Won't know whats wrong with him till Monday.

Well it was an AKC show and the judge told us outright she didn't know there were different types of GSDs. Julie informed her that she must like American dogs b/c that's who she put up. I always get a laugh when judges try to tell Julie what to do. She's been breeding and showing these dogs for 30 years and is a judge herself! Nikon got 3 of 3, Bailey 2 of 3 (Billie was 3rd, she was scared), Schumi got 1 of 1, Inja got 1 of 3 (beat Bailey and Billie, coincidentally Inja is the most "American" looking even though she's an import). I explained to Brittany that it would be an insult for us to win this show because we have German dogs and these judges put up American dogs :D Nikon showed really well. I handled him myself two times. His gaiting was awesome. He stacked good and even held it for a few seconds each time. Gotta work on showing the bite.

Kira is in heat again and Kelly told me that Julie wants to breed her to Quenn in Germany. Quenn is a TOP dog, he is Markus' father (so the pups' granddog). If she can't get Quenn she wants another Quenn son.

George :cute:

OMG, what a day! Got up super early for a dog show. Then while I was in the shower someone pooped (diarrhea) on the carpet. Luckily I had enough time to SpotBot. Then the car was totally iced over, took forever to get moving. We needed gas, DH needed food, then we had to pull over b/c the wipers and the spray were iced and we couldn't see. Got to the show as it started, but then the judges took FOREVER and Nikon, Bailey, Billie, etc didn't even show until 2:30pm! Then I get home to find about 10 poop spots all over the carpet. Off-white carpet + German Shepherd diarrhea. I'm just glad I left the dogs out of their crates. Cleaning poo off the carpet IS actually easier than cleaning it off a very upset dog and all the wires of the crate. Everything has been SpotBotted and Febreezed, I'm thinking of borrowing a friend's carpet steamer again. I don't know what is wrong with Kenya. I gave all the dogs an Interceptor b/c they are due (maybe she has a parasite that will kill) and gave Kenya metronidazole, I know it's bad to just give one but it's my last resort, I have to work tomorrow and they don't take as kindly to staying home with a sick dog as a sick kid. She's in her crate and is being fasted for the day, poor thing. At least Nikon is passed out tired from the show! Coke got to ride in the car to the grocery store mid-SpotBotting b/c I ran out of cleaning solution.

oh, man. nothing like 3 indoor large breed dogs in winter who are sick. you mustb get so sick of cleaning carpet! :(

Yeah *sigh* At least it gets me actually cleaning the carpet! It didn't take too long, maybe 45 minutes to completely clean 10 different spots. Basically I suck up the poo, pour NAture's Miracle on it to absorb odor and enzyme, suck that up, pour water on it and suck that up, then spray with the pet odor/stain carpet solution and suck, do that last step over and over until the spot is gone and the solution is coming up clear (and I stick my nose on it an smell it, lol). Would've taken SO much longer with rags and cleaning solution. Just when we're done with potty training the wee one and now this....

Lies, you can also try sprinkling some baking soda on the carpet, leaving it a while, then vacuuming it up if there's any lingering odor. Works well.

I don't think I've posted any shots of my MinPin 'kids' since we put Chance down in May (he was our 14yr old...he had spine deterioration/nerve dmg due to old injuries that weren't properly addressed before we rescued him & had begun to loose motor control in his legs. We decided with our vet that although he'd probably make it through surgery, it would just prolong the inevitable - tough, tough, tough :sad: ).

In this picture are (L to R): Sprout, who's 2; Ringo, the newest addition, is 1; and Pepper just turned 16 in November. :cute: :heart:
73008Bedtime.jpg

Well it was an AKC show and the judge told us outright she didn't know there were different types of GSDs. Julie informed her that she must like American dogs b/c that's who she put up. I always get a laugh when judges try to tell Julie what to do. She's been breeding and showing these dogs for 30 years and is a judge herself! Nikon got 3 of 3, Bailey 2 of 3 (Billie was 3rd, she was scared), Schumi got 1 of 1, Inja got 1 of 3 (beat Bailey and Billie, coincidentally Inja is the most "American" looking even though she's an import). I explained to Brittany that it would be an insult for us to win this show because we have German dogs and these judges put up American dogs :D Nikon showed really well. I handled him myself two times. His gaiting was awesome. He stacked good and even held it for a few seconds each time. Gotta work on showing the bite.

Kira is in heat again and Kelly told me that Julie wants to breed her to Quenn in Germany. Quenn is a TOP dog, he is Markus' father (so the pups' granddog). If she can't get Quenn she wants another Quenn son.

Inja beat Bailey? I'm glad everyone did well. :) That's awesome about the stacking. Any pics??

I think I met the onion. :hmm: I met a pup she just imported who acted like a real handful and Allie. Well Allie poked me in the eye with her wet nose, I don't think that counts.

Yeah you probably did b/c Julie took her to NASS. She was a little terror! She still does latch on to Julie. In the show ring she bit onto Julie's shoe and would not let go, it was so funny! Julie was explaining some things to the judge while she was stepping around, dragging the dog attached to her foot. She's actually really mellow most of the time, almost too mellow, but then every once in a while we see the real Onion...

pour NAture's Miracle on it to absorb odor and enzyme, suck that up,

I remember you talking about this product before, with regard to the cats and Phil's clothes. I had an incident last month, and did a ton of research about various products out there, and learned a lot, especially about Nature's Miracle. I can PM you with info if you're interested. :)

Lemme guess it doesn't work? I've found NOTHING that works (I mean erases the smell, not sort of erases it and adds a new smell) for cat urine UNLESS I apply it immediately. For example last week someone randomly peed on an old blanket. I caught it right away, poured the NM on it, let it sit, washed it like normal, and now it's fine (and trust me I sniff all over it to make dang sure!). Phil's clothes all got pitched. The problem was a long time ago, the cat peed in his closet. He never cleaned that (maybe he didn't know it was there) and then put wet, dirty clothes on top of that so the cat peed on that. Then maybe he didn't notice or just didn't care and it would sit there for hours, days. By then it was a done deal. I threw it all out, he needed some new clothes anyway!

I've been using NM on the puppy pee mainly b/c of the alcohol. Nikon's pee doesn't really smell that bad or stain, and he's not a repeat peer (he won't sniff out where he's peed before and do it again there). I just need some liquid to help wash the carpet and I like the NM because it dissolves eventually so the carpet is not soaking wet. I use the SpotBot on top of it and that does the trick, I end up with a spot of carpet that is cleaner than before he peed! I also deep clean it with a machine every once in a while. After Kenya's incident Saturday I'm borrowing the deep cleaner again and will do that area this weekend although right now the carpet looks and smells really nice, lol.

As far as cat urine, I am not convinced that anything can totally erase that after it has sat for a while. The original spot in Phil's closet I sanded off to remove the urine mark and when we move out I have a guy coming to refinish the area. When we moved in the basement smelled like cat so I bought this other stuff called Urine Off b/c I liked the smell and saturated the basement floor, did a mop job (unfinished cement).

Lemme guess it doesn't work? I've found NOTHING that works (I mean erases the smell, not sort of erases it and adds a new smell) for cat urine UNLESS I apply it immediately. For example last week someone randomly peed on an old blanket. I caught it right away, poured the NM on it, let it sit, washed it like normal, and now it's fine (and trust me I sniff all over it to make dang sure!). Phil's clothes all got pitched. The problem was a long time ago, the cat peed in his closet. He never cleaned that (maybe he didn't know it was there) and then put wet, dirty clothes on top of that so the cat peed on that. Then maybe he didn't notice or just didn't care and it would sit there for hours, days. By then it was a done deal. I threw it all out, he needed some new clothes anyway!

I've been using NM on the puppy pee mainly b/c of the alcohol. Nikon's pee doesn't really smell that bad or stain, and he's not a repeat peer (he won't sniff out where he's peed before and do it again there). I just need some liquid to help wash the carpet and I like the NM because it dissolves eventually so the carpet is not soaking wet. I use the SpotBot on top of it and that does the trick, I end up with a spot of carpet that is cleaner than before he peed! I also deep clean it with a machine every once in a while. After Kenya's incident Saturday I'm borrowing the deep cleaner again and will do that area this weekend although right now the carpet looks and smells really nice, lol.

As far as cat urine, I am not convinced that anything can totally erase that after it has sat for a while. The original spot in Phil's closet I sanded off to remove the urine mark and when we move out I have a guy coming to refinish the area. When we moved in the basement smelled like cat so I bought this other stuff called Urine Off b/c I liked the smell and saturated the basement floor, did a mop job (unfinished cement).

There do seem to be some good products out there, but even the best have mixed reviews. When I took my girls in last month to be fixed, the others were really upset for a day when they came home smelling different. One of the boys went into my room and peed on an old pillow I kept on the floor for them to lie on. None of them have ever peed outside their litter boxes, and they haven't since, so I attributed it to them being upset, thinking there was a new cat in the house. It leaked through the pillow, and got onto the floor, which is old and porous, and really needs to be replaced. We were sitting downstairs, and all of a sudden we could smell cat pee - my bedroom is upstairs. I was horrified, the entire house stunk! I left the pillow in place on the floor and immediately started researching online, read some reviews, and got the names of the top 3 or 4 products I could find. I was skeptical about Nature's Miracle because of what you had said in the cat thread, plus other negative things I'd read about it.

All that store had in was NM, and one other product that was on my list. A salesgirl didn't know much about them, other than they sell a lot of NM, and so she got the manager for me. He came over and we talked for like 10 minutes or so. He said that they use NM in the store, he uses it at home, and he couldn't recommend it enough. I told him what I'd heard about it, and he said that when they do get negative feedback about it, he's found that when asking the person more about their experience, the problems in all cases are due to them not using it correctly.

He said that you can't use it with or after using a bleach, ammonia based, or detergent product, because that will negate its effectiveness, and help to set the stain and scent. He said that he tells people that in a pinch, if they're out of it and feel they have to use something prior to picking up NM, to only use vinegar. He also said that you have to completely saturate whatever it is that you're cleaning, that many people use too little of it. With carpeting, you literally have to soak the entire area, so that it gets right through the carpet and underpad. And then you leave it to dry on its own, which can often take a couple of weeks depending on the thickness of the carpet, the product works as it dries, and the scent won't be fully gone until it is completely dry, but once it is, it's really gone.

He asked what sort of surface I had to clean, and I told him. He suggested that I liberally pour it on the floor, and then to prevent it from evapourating, to cover it with a plastic bag for a few hours, and then remove the bag, wipe the excess, and then let it dry, which would take a few hours. He said that if it didn't work for me, to bring back what I didn't use, and he'd refund the bottle (a really small bottle - 10 oz, maybe, cost me $13). When I took the bag off, I could still smell it, although not as strong, and I wasn't convinced that it was working. But then I went up later in the day, and sure enough, even getting on my hands and knees with my face down there, it was gone. So, I'm a big fan of it now.

I guess in the case of clothes, you would soak the clothes in the product full strength? and then wash through a cycle with only NM, before using detergent on it. He also said that it's a great stain remover in general, and that just the night before, his wife had spilled pomegranate juice on their carpeting, and it came right out with NM.

Interesting. I do completely saturate, but let it sit maybe 5 minutes or so. When Nikon was still house training, I would see him have the accident and react immediately. So in those cases, it wasn't really necessary to let the NM sit for hours or days b/c the pee itself had not soaked deep into the carpet yet either.

When I used it on Phil's clothes, I bought the biggest bottles of it and soaked everything in a bucket for hours before washing. It did help some, but I could still smell "cat". Not necessarily stinky urine, but....cat. In these cases, the cat had peed on the clothes sometimes days before. In the case of the recent blanket, again I totally saturated the spot before washing and let it sit probably 2 hours, but the cat had just peed there, and it did seem to remove the odor completely.

When I used the NM on Sunday, it was mainly b/c some of the poo spots were a bit....gunky, and I needed some liquid to help lift it off the carpet so I could suck it up. I didn't want to pour my SpotBot fluid on it b/c that's concentrated and expensive. I figured I'd start by using up the rest of my NM. By the end I was just pouring warm water and sucking until it was basically clear, then used the normal SpotBot fluid spray.

I know a lot of people that swear by NM. I think the main things are 1) the spot is fresh and 2) like you say you must completely saturate it.

I will still buy it for future potty training. Like I said, I'm not sure ANY product will remove odor from cat urine that sat for days before being discovered.

The only experience I've had with it is that one time, but in reading reviews, it sounded like people have had really good success with even old stains/odours. For example, people moving into a house or apartment that had odours left over.

Another thing I read, and that the guy mentioned, is that a lot of the time, you think you're getting where the stain is, but it's spread more than you thought, or it's in other places that you haven't found yet. In that case, they suggest that you buy or rent one of those black light things that reveal where the stains are by making them glow, so you can be sure that you're getting it all.

I just remember thinking of you at the time, and I couldn't recall whether or not you had tried washing the clothes in detergent first. I don't know. Maybe if it happens again, try putting it on the spot of fabric, and then let the product dry on the fabric completely before washing? That seems to be the key, the product needs time to work, and giving it time to evapourate and dry seems to do the trick. And I think I also read that on occasion for stubborn odours, two applications might be necessary.

I think some of the clothes were repeatedly peed on. As in, cat peed on them originally, Phil washed them and dried them (and we dry on high heat), cat still smelled his smell and peed on them again. So they may have been washed before I tried the NM and I'm sure the dryer set it. Oh well, honestly the amount of NM needed to really saturate the clothes would have probably been more expensive than the clothes. They have never peed on my clothes or any of the furniture, just some of Phil's clothes and his closet (but see he runs and then drops wet, sweaty clothes on the floor that's probably really enticing as a litter box).

Both products worked on new stains that had not set or been washed. The Urine Off did the trick for the basement floor and the girl at the pet store told me she liked it better than NM.

My MIL uses NM on her carpet b/c their old dog sometimes pees. The house doesn't smell but I did notice a lot of stains. However I think again it's not being used right. They are probably stains that were hours or days old before she noticed and she didn't let it set long enough. It sounds like it works best if you let it set at least as long as you think the stain has been setting? I've seen her use it and she pours it on and pats it right up. They have a light blue carpet and I saw several yellow pee stains. I'm happy to say I don't have a single pee or poo stain on my carpet, in fact the only stain I have is from dirty snow melting by the front door, so we stopped going in/out that door in the winter.

The guy didn't specifically say how long it took, just that the process of neutralizing the enzymes takes place while the product is drying, and that when properly saturated, drying can take a long time. I suppose in the case of your MIL, you probably can blot up some of it, but if you're blotting up too much, then you're not allowing enough time for the saturating - drying process to work its magic.

Like I mentioned, when I smelled that one little spot all over the entire house, I was horrified! Male cat urine is the worst! In the few days before that, a couple of people had been over and commented that for the number of cats I have, they'd never know because my house totally doesn't smell like cats. So, I was glad that if fixed the problem, and I also put a lock on my bedroom door so that they can't get in there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom