For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part they have fun but sometimes I can tell Coke gets annoyed. Nikon bites his ears and he HATES that, he yelps every time. Generally I do not step in, b/c Coke really needs to learn to tell him off before Nikon gets much bigger, but once in a while I will scruff Nikon and push him off. Nikon is really vocal when he plays (constant growling and barking) so if it starts to annoy ME, then I step in and put Nikon in his pen for quiet time. When they play outside, Coke has more room to get running and he can be pretty rough with Nikon so I figure they are even!

Rub-a-dog is what Julie calls her version of their restraint exercise. Basically you sit on your knees and the dog is in a sit between your knees, back to you (you both face forward). You put one hand under the dog's chin and use the other do to hard strokes all down the back and on the chest. The puppies will squirm and howl. You don't want to hold their head, but move the hand that's under the chin with the dog and if you need to restrain them tighter, use the petting hand to apply pressure on the back of the dog's neck. Basically it teaches them to start relaxing when they are touch, to accept all sorts of petting and handling, and to not do the instinctive head twist and bite when someone reaches from behind or over the head to touch the dog's head or neck. Luckily Nikon has always been pretty OK with rub-a-dog. For him it's important b/c in shows he will be stacked and touched all over by people he's never met so as a puppy we train him to be calm and even enjoy it. It's not a "dominance" exercise, more of a self-control exercise where eventually they are conditioned to become more calm when humans pet them (b/c as much as everyone likes to pet and hug dogs, for a lot of dogs that's not a natural thing).

new gracie piccies coming ur way....:cute:

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Dear Amy,
Pls stop trying to kill me with puppy pictures :no: I am almost dead from the cute.
Love, Kaf

btw, Choo Choo is precious! :cute:

Haha. I find all dogs to be precious. Puppies are too cute. I don't think I'd be able to leave the house if I had a puppy. :|

Does anyone else have the "shedding" problem with their dogs? I know it's part of the winter coat growing... but my dog is killing me with her floating-in-the-air fur.
I wake up every morning with fur all over my face. I love her too much to make her sleep on the floor.. :sad:

Hmm.. My boy has a short coat and doesn't shed much at all, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I think between regular brushings and a really healthy diet, that does the trick.

All of my dogs shed constantly. Nikon and Kenya are medium hair, double coated and Coke is long hair, double coated. GSDs do sort of blow coat, but they also shed year round. I brush them every few days, have them on a good diet for coat, and vacuum once a day or every few days.

That link won't open on the shedender, but I'll google in a sec. Is yours an American of English Cocker?

Does anyone have any good tips for grass allergies, besides an antihistamine? Sally, my cocker, is bad with her red tummy again, and mum groomed her last week and said she is quite red around her hind legs. I hope there's something more than polaramine.

My Kenya had an allergic reaction on her belly and it turned into this really nasty horrific staph infection which I had to treat with two weeks of cephlex. That gave her a yeast infection in her ears so now I have her on mometamax. Ugh.

That link won't open on the shedender, but I'll google in a sec. Is yours an American of English Cocker?

Does anyone have any good tips for grass allergies, besides an antihistamine? Sally, my cocker, is bad with her red tummy again, and mum groomed her last week and said she is quite red around her hind legs. I hope there's something more than polaramine.

The link from Yahoo! isn't working today, either (strange), but you can get it from several sites and stores. I got the Shedender at Walgreens.

I have an American Cocker. He doesn't have problems with grass but he does have other allergies that affect his ears. We give him Baby Benadryl occasionally.

Yeah, Falstaff's vet recommended children's Benadryl (aka Dimedrol, diphenhydramine hydrochloride) for the grass(?) allergies he used to have. In his case the allergies didn't cause skin problems, just swollen eyes and wheezing from being outdoors at certain times of year, but the Benadryl really seemed to help. Definitely call your vet before going out and buying some though, as there are some medical conditions and other medications which contraindicate it, and also you'd want to be sure you're giving an appropriate dosage for her weight.

ETA: oops, just realized you said "besides an antihistamine." :happy: Erm, well, there's always the route of regular soaks in cool water with colloidal oatmeal lotion added, followed by fatty acid supplements (again, check with the vet before giving these supplements, as they have mild anticoagulant properties). Those can both help reduce allergic inflammation and itching.

Last edited:
Definitely call your vet before going out and buying some though, as there are some medical conditions and other medications which contraindicate it, and also you'd want to be sure you're giving an appropriate dosage for her weight.

My lab girl used to get seasonal skin allergies so severe she would scratch till she was raw, and the sores got infected once. My ex used to take this prescription antihistamine for itchy skin, and the vet told us that it was okay to give Kelly one of these when she started scratching. It worked really well.

A few years later when I was on my own, Kelly was going through a really bad season, and since I no longer had access to my ex's pills, I called the vet and they recommended I give her Benadryl, and told me the correct dosage. Within a couple of days, she could hardly walk - she was stumbling around like something was seriously wrong with her. I took her to the vet, and I was in tears, I was so upset. Turns out, the Benadryl was interacting with the phonobarbital she took daily for seizures. Since she'd been on the phenobarb for years, and being on it entailed ordering the drug from the vets every three months and twice yearly visits to the vets for blood testing, I assumed they would have taken this into account when they told me to give her the Benadryl. Turns out they hadn't. :| Within half a day off the Benadryl, she went back to normal.

I (and several others around here) am obsessed with this site these days: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shiba-inu-puppy-cam

:cute:

I actually don't know what breed my dog is, but she seems to be a Spaniel mix or something.
I've been brushing her constantly but it doesn't seem to be helping. I think she's avoiding me now because I've been brushing her so much. I wouldn't be surprised if she was sore too. Not only is the fur an issue, but now I gotta figure out how to clip her nails. :sigh:
It makes me sad whenever she flinches and thinks I'm gonna hurt her. I hate that feeling. :sad:

Don't know yet. I saw him go into the shed (belongs to the landlord, his stuff) and look like he was licking something. The "something" was bright blue granules. I figured anything that artificially colored had to be bad, so I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he puked blue foam. I gave him some food and half an hour later, induced vomiting again, this time it was just food and no more blue. I investigated the shed until I found an empty rat poison tray, the poison had spilled out. I called two vets, both said there was nothing they could do as long as he was already puking clean. Tomorrow morning he's going in for vitamin K, the antidote, and I'm assuming he will need a blood test at some point. I've been told the brand he ate is "safer" for dogs, still not safe at all, but not going to kill a dog overnight. I believe that is why rat poison is so bad for dogs, they eat it and if you don't notice, by the time they are showing symptoms it's too late. It can take weeks I think.

I'm a little miffed that my landlord has spilled rat poison in his shed. I guess I'll be cleaning the place out tomorrow. Now I feel my wariness over Nikon is justified. Imagine where we'd be in two weeks if I hadn't seen him start licking the poison...

omg lies! you must be a wreck.. that poor thing.. I am sorry to hear this but at least nikon will be ok.. Just gotta watch like a hawk tonite..

:hug: hang in there..

Don't know yet. I saw him go into the shed (belongs to the landlord, his stuff) and look like he was licking something. The "something" was bright blue granules. I figured anything that artificially colored had to be bad, so I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he puked blue foam. I gave him some food and half an hour later, induced vomiting again, this time it was just food and no more blue. I investigated the shed until I found an empty rat poison tray, the poison had spilled out. I called two vets, both said there was nothing they could do as long as he was already puking clean. Tomorrow morning he's going in for vitamin K, the antidote, and I'm assuming he will need a blood test at some point. I've been told the brand he ate is "safer" for dogs, still not safe at all, but not going to kill a dog overnight. I believe that is why rat poison is so bad for dogs, they eat it and if you don't notice, by the time they are showing symptoms it's too late. It can take weeks I think.

I'm a little miffed that my landlord has spilled rat poison in his shed. I guess I'll be cleaning the place out tomorrow. Now I feel my wariness over Nikon is justified. Imagine where we'd be in two weeks if I hadn't seen him start licking the poison...

Oh god. :hug: So it's warfarin based, then? Yes, they should be able to do a blood test on him, just like they do for humans on blood thinners. From my understanding, the blood test would probably show the levels by tomorrow or the next day (my mom's on a blood thinner, and is tested regularly, as well as being tested when she's had to go off of it for surgeries, etc, and then tested again frequently when she goes back on it, to make sure it's up where it needs to be). Thank god you saw him, you probably saved his life. Keep us posted, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom