For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i just literally died and went to heaven here. The breeder just sent me pics of gracie that were taken today and PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR SO MUCH CUTENESS IT MAY JUST KILL YA.!

Gracie11-5-08.jpg

Gracie111-5-08.jpg

I just want to hold her and hug her and take in that puppy smell. She is absolutely adorable! I hope you all enjoy many years of good health and happiness with her! :love:

her coat has actually lightened up and is more carmelly chocolate now.. And yes, those green eyes (i am not sure if they are going to change to brown or not I'll have to ask her saturday)! It would be awesome if her eyes stayed that color but I am not sure.

So cute! Their eyes usually change to brown at 8-12 months. Green eyes are a fault, pretty though! Very few will stay green, hard to predict but you could ask if her dogs have thrown green before, then maybe.

So cute! Their eyes usually change to brown at 8-12 months. Green eyes are a fault, pretty though! Very few will stay green, hard to predict but you could ask if her dogs have thrown green before, then maybe.

yeah i read that.. The breeder told me her eyes will change tho. Go to amber/brown. It would be neat if they stayed that color but they won't.

Tomorrow's the BIG DAY!!!!

Tonight Nikon had a bath, mainly to get the excess ink out of his ear.

After that we had our first practice stacking session. In Amy's pics it looks so easy - it is HARD! Especially with only two people, you really need a third person to call the dog so they hold their head up and lean forward rather than fight and lean back like Nikon was doing. I think Phil got a few good shots.

3011838348_f1853a7063.jpg

3011838826_989921ed37.jpg

3011002195_f70b93d267.jpg

3011838752_773be381bb.jpg

Outtakes, lol
3011002017_bee267fa40.jpg

3011001681_5c89db8afd.jpg

3011838610_521ea37181.jpg

I think about 17lbs? Supposedly was 15 last Sat. I was worried he wasn't eating enough, but when he was with his sibs last weekend he was the plumpest one!

SHE'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HOME..............:love:

we are getting adjusted to the house and she did great on the ride home. No piccies yet.. she's napping right now in her crate and loves all her toys she actually brought them all into her crate...:cute:

How do you get Nikon to stay in your yard without a leash?

He usually sticks around. For one, I have a decent sized yard and I encourage that he play and explore as long as it's within the boundaries. He has pretty good pack drive (he prefers to stay with me or the other dogs). Often multiple dogs go out, and he is more interested in playing with the other dog than getting away (Kenya is never leashed and Coke is on a long tether). If I need to go out front, he is on a leash or tied to the tree b/c the road is busy. He doesn't always come when called, but if we all go in and I pretend to shut the door, he drops what he's doing and comes in. Also, once he goes he is usually rewarded with free time in the house, which is more valuable to him than trying to run away outside. Sometimes I do use a leash, it just depends on the weather and how he has been acting. If I catch even the slightest whiff of skunk, we use the leash! Other times I leash him but let him drag the leash. Then if I takes off I only have to catch up enough to step on the leash.

Well, while we wait for Gracie pics, here are some dogs in Coke's class

Riggs - German Shepherd (I helped the family get him from the Mississippi Valley rescue)
3013081751_744d8c3848.jpg

Justin - Golden Retriever (Malagolds)
3013917292_71786fd94f.jpg

Phil and Coke practicing the restraint and calming touch (which Coke loves!)
3013917964_e88c3ed9a8.jpg

Justin relaxes like it's his job! Also no difficulty with the restraint exercise.
3013082747_bdbb19458b.jpg

3013082997_26eb04d2fb.jpg

Daisy - Greyhound
3013918584_c76df96f49.jpg

3013918660_f2d2cfa8f5.jpg

well, i am trying to figure out the right time for when after playtime to take her out to pee. She's played a couple times today and we missed it(one time i was out of the room for a sec and my son was in there, i explained to him if you see her squat pick her up and go outside).. and she peed so I cleaned it up and sprayed the enzymic cleaner and cleaned up. But after she ate and took a short nap i took her outside to go potty and i said go pee, and after a couple of min she pooped. so i praised her a ton let her romp a little bit and brought her in the house, another time after a few minutes of her drinking water I took her outside and said go pee and she did, praised her again.. it's hard to gauge the time after play but i get it after eating, drinking and naps..

so much learning to do.

SHE'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HOME..............:love:

we are getting adjusted to the house and she did great on the ride home. No piccies yet.. she's napping right now in her crate and loves all her toys she actually brought them all into her crate...:cute:

Yay! I just love puppies. :love:

I have a picture of Zeke when he was a puppy sprawled out in his crate with all his toys scattered around him. It was so cute!

When Nikon is awake, we go out every 10 minutes, not kidding. Sometimes we will play outside and he might go 2-3 times while we are out, then pee inside 2 minutes later without warning. It's so weird b/c he can sleep from 11pm-7am and have no accidents and not wake us, but when he is awake and moving he goes several times every hour. Today his puppy class was an hour long. He wasn't that active (awake, but mostly sitting by me). We took him out twice during class and he peed both times.

A few people have told me he has too much freedom already, but I'm not bothered by an accident or two each day (considering he pees outside 20 times a day that's still over 90%!).

So cute! She already loves it in there! Nikon REFUSED to be crated for the first three days. He howled, thrashed so hard he actually rolled the crate. I put in food, treats, kongs with peanut butter....and he starved himself in favor of throwing a fit. Barked nonstop the first two nights. Then he just changed and now he's *almost* fine. He sleeps all night, he's fine crated while I'm at work, sits quietly in the car. The only part we're still working on is learning patience and self-control while I am visible. During Coke's class, I crate Nikon and work on him being still while he can see me moving around with other dogs. He did great in class but then just now I left him in his puppy pen so I could use the bathroom and he threw a fit.

she's having no problem with the crate. We put her toys in there and towels etc initially I just let her go explore. Her first nap I had the door open. And now this time, she is napping and we closed the door and not a peep out of her. When we picked up from the breeder today who was a dog show in Va. she was in wire crate with her brother.

we are also teaching her her name today and i think its working. We got the freeze dried liver treats and called her from across the room, she came and we gave her a treat and praised her. We did this a few times already.

well, i am trying to figure out the right time for when after playtime to take her out to pee. She's played a couple times today and we missed it(one time i was out of the room for a sec and my son was in there, i explained to him if you see her squat pick her up and go outside).. and she peed so I cleaned it up and sprayed the enzymic cleaner and cleaned up. But after she ate and took a short nap i took her outside to go potty and i said go pee, and after a couple of min she pooped. so i praised her a ton let her romp a little bit and brought her in the house, another time after a few minutes of her drinking water I took her outside and said go pee and she did, praised her again.. it's hard to gauge the time after play but i get it after eating, drinking and naps..

so much learning to do.

Ohhhhhh the potty training! Patience is SO important! Try taking the pup out about every hour or every 2 hours and after she eats, drinks, plays, naps just like you are doing. After she does her business give her lots of praise and a bit of play outside before heading back inside (weather permitting).

She is absolutely adorable though!

I wonder if it's breed specific because neither of our Collies had any trouble being potty trained. I think maybe they had a couple of accidents overnight when they were really little, but that's it. I remember my Mom being very surprised about how little training they needed.

And Lies, Samson sounds like Nikon did the first few days in the crate. Except that whereas Nikon became reasonable, Samson never did so we just dumped the crate. It was seriously unbelievable, you'd think he was schizophrenic or something!

I wonder if it's breed specific because neither of our Collies had any trouble being potty trained. I think maybe they had a couple of accidents overnight when they were really little, but that's it. I remember my Mom being very surprised about how little training they needed.

And Lies, Samson sounds like Nikon did the first few days in the crate. Except that whereas Nikon became reasonable, Samson never did so we just dumped the crate. It was seriously unbelievable, you'd think he was schizophrenic or something!

Yep our potty training is going good now that we have a schedule. Some of the initial problems were probably due to his age, I got him before he was 8 weeks b/c of several scheduling conflicts (if I had waited he would have been all by himself anyway). No crate accidents in over a week and again he slept through the night. The only accidents he has in the house now are *right* next to the door. He runs to the door and whines, and it's really a matter of whether I get there fast enough. GSDs are supposedly fast potty trainers. The boys are harder b/c they have peanut bladders, but everyone I talked to had their dogs house trained by 4 months and he's 3 months tomorrow. The nice thing about Nikon is he literally lets himself out (I open the slider, he opens the screen door), pees, runs back to the house, and I let him back in. He doesn't seem to need the reward of being outside and most of the time I just stand by the door and don't even go out. Basically I treat him like the adults, he just goes out more frequently.

I don't know what the deal was with the crate thing. Now he's totally fine at night. Yesterday he was in his crate at the training club watching other dogs work and he was fine. I've also been taking him places in the car and leaving him crated while I run in to the store, just to get use to traveling and being left for short periods. Now that it's cooler he is comfortable in the car (anytime it's sunny and more than 60 degrees I'm really uncomfortable with dogs in the car). He is still upset if he's crated or penned when he knows we are home and he's not tired, but that's understandable. Usually that only happens if I have to get something done, or if he's being a bully to Coke and Coke needs some peace. Self-control will be a work in progress. If he's tired he just crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom