For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I am back from a long and exciting weekend in southern va. I just got back about an hour ago. It took us 5 1/2 hrs to get to the breeder but we made it thanks to the GPS... thank god for these things.. Cuz she is out in the country, way out there.. The breeder, Peggy and her husband Don were real nice down to earth southern people who let us play with the puppies for a good couple of hours. It was so fun. I was choosing between two females because she was still deciding between the other two for herself, she is going to keep one for show and or breeding. They had been microchipped already so when the 2 puppies were out we had to scan them a couple of times to figure out who was who. So, it wasn't easy to choose but we finally did. We choose her because of her sweet disposition, she was playful tugging on our shoe strings but not too overly aggressive and she wasn't too shy either, and she explored independently at times too. It was so sweet, after awhile she fell asleep in my arms, I was in love right there.. :heart::love: The puppies are socialized very well it was obvious. The pups had no problem approaching us and liked being picked up. They were also used to other animals too, she had 3 cats there that were outside cats. Oh, and we got to see some newborn pups that were born that day to a fox red lab named katie. That was so cool, I have never seen pups that young.

So it looks like we are going with the name Gracie cuz she just seemed peaceful, graceful and just so sweet. I really like the name.. I couldn't convince the hubby tho to name her after something U2, like zooropa..lol Oh well, that's ok..

here are pics we got..

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

:cute:

she's a fuzz ball all right. :cute:Her coat is thicker, a little more coarser than the others. We were calling her fuzzy at first, that is how I could tell the difference between the pups.

Nikon's had a busy week! Saturday (the day he came home) he went to the pet store and my parents, Sunday to grandpa's, Monday to the vet and pet store again, Tuesday to the baseball fields, Wednesday to work again, Thurs-Sun we went to a HUGE dog show in Kentucky where he was held and played with all day by passing kids. He may have been a little overstimulated at times but I'm REALLY pushing the kid thing because Kenya has issues with toddlers. I don't really know many kids younger than age 6 so I'm trying to get Nikon out somewhere every single day. Much easier to do now than have to spend months or years dealing with it later on (as with Kenya). Yesterday was the first day we stayed at home, b/c I was sick (I did go to my mom's but left Nikon home in the puppy pen b/c I didn't have the energy to make sure he didn't chew my mom's stuff). At the dog show a few people wanted to buy Nikon from me, hehe.

The chew shoe
2944400586_f25c13328c.jpg

Sleeping in my arms at the dog show
2959040041_16078fd3c1.jpg

2959925902_86c866cf6b.jpg

2959926018_f1a488a2c2.jpg

2959926172_633b0850f1.jpg

2959085325_9d960bfc25.jpg

2959927212_cb058d3879.jpg

2959926894_61d8c72988.jpg

The next two are Nikon's siblings
2959084431_837152b3c8.jpg

2959086433_0a73a3098a.jpg

Oh he chews on them indeed! He was biting all over those kids and I apologized, but they come from kennel families that were at the show, most of them have or have had several litters of their own on the ground. They all told me they were used to it. I was actually surprised they spent so much time with our pups since they all had their own dogs (I saw all those kids in the ring handling dogs in the Junior class). Nikon bit the little boy in the ear and the girl in the face, and that was just in the 5 minutes I was there to change memory cards. My friend said the kids sat in the pen for hours and would only leave to go buy the dogs more treats.

Nikon's biting is about what I expected. He bites and barks at everything but luckily has been good about not attacking my legs and feet. I try to redirect him by always having at least two chew toys on me at all times and we've been doing some rag work to satiate his prey drive. He LOVES Coke and honestly burns most of his energy playing with Coke. They either chase each other around the yard, share a toy where they each tug on one end, or Coke lays down and Nikon jumps and bites all over him (Coke is a good sport).

I may be lucky that he was back with his siblings for Thurs - Sun. They learn most of their bite inhibition from each other. Now that they are varied in size and temperament there were a few real squabbles they had to work out. The big boy bit Nikon's ear so hard it bled all over.

Ziva can't get within a foot of Charlie when she is hyper. Your lucky with the chewing. Ziva just likes to chew on me.

German Shepard puppies :love: I have pics of my girl(from way back when), Molly. I should scan them.

Hey Lies, I have a mate whose dog (from RSPCA - and the story could be that it was used to get dogs excited to fight each other - sorry, dont know proper name), but it looks cross between like Lab head and Staffy body. He has to make him wear a muzzle cause it would go for other dogs, but, would this guy have to go to training, and if not, is it possible to teach a dog, (not sure how old), to NOT walk far ahead - ya know, pull on the leash?

any tips?

Mad, yeah the muzzle will only make it worse, doesn't address the actual issue. Most dog aggression really stems from fear. Being aggressive towards another dog is a quick way of making that dog go away. The muzzle could be part of the problem if the dog is fear-aggressive. The muzzle takes away his only real defense (as he sees it).

Anyway, in that situation I would combine using gradual desensitization to push back the trigger threshold with using positive methods to make the trigger a neutral or positive thing. Practically speaking, this would involve taking the dog to some area to work where for starters there would be ONE other dog, far in the distance. The aggressive dog would be praised and given treats while the other dog passes in the distance. If this goes OK, the other dog would move slightly closer, or maybe two dogs would pass by at the original distance (proofing involves both distance and the level of distraction which in this case would be the amount of other dogs present). So basically you want to help the dog to understand that other dogs are GOOD = getting treats. It's also a good time to introduce a "watch me" command, so the dog has an alternative behavior to perform. Often, being asked to perform an alternative behavior is incompatible with aggression and blocks that reaction. For example when Kenya is acting nervous I have her to simple tricks. It takes her mind off of whatever is making her nervous and boosts her confidence because she is earning rewards. It's important to GO SLOWLY. The dog must always be set up for success. That might mean starting in a deserted field with a small dog 100 yards away and doing that for a week. The aggressive dog should NOT be walked near other dogs until this problem is tackled. Every time he lunges on the leash at another dog it is reinforcing the aggressive reaction.

If it were my dog I would use clicker training. Have him read Click To Calm. It's all about using clicker training (and the methods above) to re-socialize aggressive dogs. Also in the UK you have Victoria Stillwell. We have her show on TV here, both the UK seasons and now a US season. It's called "It's Me or the Dog". There are several episodes where she works with dogs that lunge at other dogs. He can watch that show for some examples.

yeah, see we have a UK show, The Dog Borstol, and he used the tip they suggested of like rocks in a bottle? so I think when dog lunges or just keeps on jumping on people (as he does :)), he would use it. but he never said that it was successful.

Dont know that we can buy a dog clicker here. he had one time put up note to ask for dog walker who would walk his dog with theirs to get him used to walking with or near. the muzzle came about because he attacked a big alsation. so sounds like the upbringing, he is too used to it. however, I see what you mean about taking a dog's mind off. last night I was trying to settle him down and trying the ear-rub thing (does that ever work?), but no, just such a hyper wee dog. must try and get a wee photo. :wink:

but listen I appreciate what you wrote/your response. :up::hug:

You can order clickers online, they are like 50 cents, so cheap.
Clicker Training only ? - more - www.canineconcepts.co.uk

I'm not sure how rocks in a bottle would be used, maybe as a noise aversion? The problem with that is that for a fear aggressive dog you have to actually CHANGE the reaction, not just correct it. Otherwise, you end up with a dog that is STILL aggressive, but less predictable.

one more wee thing, you suggest a quiet place, yep there is a local park, so, with or without the muzzle on? :)

yep it must be like a distraction, I dont think it would be recommendable thou.

I just wonder is it too late to train the dog? I dont think so, but I know it would be weeks/lot of work.

No, it's never too late. My in-laws said the same thing about their 11 year old Cocker and I trained him to "down" and click a button in ten minutes.

Yes I would go to a large park or field, set the dog up so that he has his attention. Have a friend walk a dog by FAR away. You want the dog to notice but not feel threatened enough to react. When he notices but does NOT react, praise and give treats. Do it over and over until the dog really doesn't care. Then move the dogs a few feet closer together and repeat. It will take weeks and months. I have a dog with some residual fear issues we have been working on for over a year.

Hey Lies, I have a mate whose dog (from RSPCA - and the story could be that it was used to get dogs excited to fight each other - sorry, dont know proper name), but it looks cross between like Lab head and Staffy body. He has to make him wear a muzzle cause it would go for other dogs, but, would this guy have to go to training, and if not, is it possible to teach a dog, (not sure how old), to NOT walk far ahead - ya know, pull on the leash?

any tips?
If there is any Staffy in it, the instinct to fight is deeply ingrained, but can be controlled. Lies is absolutely right, a muzzle will only intensify the problem and add to the insecurity and subsequent agression as the dog is essentially defenseless with it on.

You can use a Halti or Gentle Leader to prevent pulling, but it doesn't psychologically address the dog's dominant behaviour, it just makes it impossible. A choke or pinch collar can be helpful IF used correctly and safely and corrections are timed properly. Also, stopping the moment the dog pulls and not moving forward until it relaxes is a good method.. The dog learns it will get to move forward when the leash is slack and it's not charging ahead. Changing direction anytime the dog pulls is another option, because it lets it know that you're leading the walk. If you're leading, the dog pays less attention to distractions and more attention to you and what you want it to do next.

Also REGULAR!!! walks are critical. If the dog only gets exercise and socialization sporadically, of course it's going to go nuts anytime it gets to venture out. Pent up energy is an excellent precursor to aggression.

Aw! Nice topline, lol. What a little chubkins!

Nikon is starting to look more like a dog and less like a fat sausage with a rat tail.

2968453696_2dcff972e0.jpg

2968271144_1597874ae8.jpg

2968453578_30f87cf61a.jpg

2968271260_59514f0ce5.jpg

Today I hired a helper to come let him out and play with him mid-afternoon (I already go home for lunch).

^ Yes! We need more puppy paws and puppy bellies :love: Can't get enough..

If you haven't seen my blog, I posted new pics of the man :) 5 months old now:
pupwantsattention.jpg

puppyback.jpg

puppyboy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom