For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of interesting because we'd never trim a Collie's ear hair - it just doesn't get long at all. So I wonder what breed Coke picked that up from.

3028438816_091d5a9ae2.jpg

This is killing me - in a good way, of course! :heart:

Glad to hear your little guy is okay!

It's kind of interesting because we'd never trim a Collie's ear hair - it just doesn't get long at all. So I wonder what breed Coke picked that up from.

No idea. Not from the Chow Chow either. His mom looked Collie mix or Aussie mix, so perhaps the father was a Chow mix. Coke's coloring and head are sort of Gordon Setter-ish, and that would give him the long stringy ears, but I've never seen a Gordon Setter besides at a show, not one of those breeds that are running on the streets breeding with other dogs.

i just recently got back from the vet's for gracie's second round of vaccinations. She got her second distemper/parvo combo and a shot for lyme disease (i figured this was a good idea considering that there are woods around here), fecal test (came back negative). I weighed her on the scale and she is a whooping 14.2 lbs! I can't believe how big she has gotten.. She was 8.2 lbs at 6wks!:cute:

OK, thank! My Kenya had a terrible staph infection (well, a reaction that turned into an allergic reaction to staph) all over her belly and chest (picture here). She was on 500mg cephlex three times a day for two weeks. After two weeks, the infection appeared clear. There was some dark discoloration of the skin, but the red inflammation was gone, sores were gone, and scabbing was pretty much gone. However, the cephlex left her with a nasty yeast infection in her ears. I have Mometamax at home, so I've been treating the yeast in her ears with that and giving her yogurt. That is basically cleared up now. But a few days ago I rolled her to check her belly and found two tiny spots, like little zits. That's kinda how the staph thing started, so I was really worried. Someone told me that you can also use the Mometamax to spot-treat those staph pustules, so for the past few days I've been putting a dab on them. I *think* it's actually doing the trick, but (this is finally my question, lol) after I apply it I catch her licking at it. I apply it and keep her on her side for a minute, but once she's up I think she eventually licks at it. I'm applying maybe a pea-sized drop. Is it bad for her to ingest a little of it?

I haven't called the vet, they just say "bring her in" and then charge me for medicine I already have at home. I've been to the vet every other week for the past few months, lol.

It would make sense that the staph infection could possibly be back. (I'm at work right now actually, so I can't see the pictures) They do have a tendency to reoccur, especially if the immune system is compromised like it would be from the ear problems. The Mometamax can help some, since it's a broad spectrum anitbiotic. It is not toxic if a small amount of it is ingested from licking it. I would be sure to clean her tummy a couple times a day with something with anitmicrobiobial properties. You can buy Chlorhexine soap at CVS very inexpensively. There can be a chance that she may need some oral antibiotics though if it doesn't clear up on its own--sometimes staph can be downright obnoxious and be medicinally resistant. HTH!

Yeah they said there was a chance cephlex would not work. I've heard of other people using 1000mg for a month so maybe my vet just needs to dose more aggressively. I was hoping if these two spots are staph, I could "kill" it topically before it becomes the rash she had before.

I'll look into that soap. Perhaps I will take her to Chow Hound and do the entire area (they have professional grooming stations that I use). She needs a bath but I've been holding off, not wanting to add any moisture to the area.

Medicinally resistant staph was the reason why the only declawed dog I've ever seen had been declawed--chronic, severe staph infections of the nail bed that didn't respond enough to medication to prevent an ongoing gangrene-like condition.

lies,
i just noticed that gracie has dry skin/little flaky stuff in her fur (mainly on her back by her tail) Do you have any suggestions (introduce some kind of oil?) the weather here is cold too so maybe this is a factor. She has pretty coarse fur compared to most labs. Some kind of supplement? She is eating Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food.

I would try diet/supplements first. Fish/fish oil/omega 3 is good for that. For my dogs I get them plain canned sardines (packed in water) at the grocery store. I think you could also get fish oil pills, not sure on the "dosage" though. The sardines are pretty big so I'd probably give a puppy half a fish a day.

Kenya had dandruff when she had a staph infection but that was not the only symptom (see the picture linked in my post for rebecca).

For foods in general I won't feed anything that contains corn, wheat, soy, or gluten, and no by-product any higher than 5th on the list. For GSD puppies we do not feed a puppy food. Generally for larger breeds it is unnecessary at best, but can be bad b/c these dogs need to grow slowly. Not sure about labs but GSDs definitely take 2 years to physically mature. Many top brands of kibble do not even make puppy formulas.

Since she is so young I would not think this is allergies but looking at the ingredients list of the food it is very heavy on grain and chicken. Grains and poultry are both things many dogs are allergic to or become allergic to.

You can brush her often, that tends to stimulate the dog's skin and get the oils going. I would avoid bathing unless the dandruff requires a medicated bath. To much bathing can cause dandruff b/c it's irritating, moisture can encourage fungus or bacteria, and it removes the good natural oils.

Some puppies do have demodectic mange. I believe it is genetic and often shows up in puppies.

But, if it's just a little dandruff I'd chalk it up to her recent environmental change and maybe some dry skin :) It'll be more obvious on a dog with dark, short hair like Gracie.

yeah, i don't think it's allergies but I will keep that in mind though. I am going to take another look at her puppy food ingredients and reevaluate, I may change it out since she has been on it for two weeks since we picked her up so I think I could go to another type of food gradually if need be.

I am going to go to the store tomorrow and get some fish oil to incorporate into her food and see how her coat does along with frequent/daily brushing.

Thanks! He was my wedding present from my hubby. :cute: He's got a form of epilepsy but otherwise I think he's pretty darn perfect....easiest puppy I've ever raised.

My aunt had a Chihuahua once. He was a sweet (not really!) little guy. Very fussy about who he'd tolerate. We thought he was just an eccentric cranky old boy until he was at the vet having an X-ray for something, and the vet saw a slug in his rib cage! The poor little fella had been shot with an air rifle or some such by some fucko and was obviously wary of people.

Visited my cousin today. They've got this adorable four month old boxer/Dogue de Bordeaux puppy, who's just insane. Already about as big as a kelpie! They've got a newish house, and it's basically just a mess because of the pup, so of course they're taking her to puppy school soon. She's awesome, I'll get a picture here if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom