For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #901
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Yay! I was hoping to find an update. Glad it's going well

And if anyone still reads this thread.... what are thoughts on dogs as "kids"? Today someone asked me who is taking care of my "kids" (I'm in Florida) and I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow to that question. I responded saying my husband is taking care of my dogs and I don't have any kids. Do people really assume that someone who puts a lot of time and effort into training dogs and such really views dogs as they would their own child? Or would I be frowned upon for NOT viewing my dog as my child? I guess to me a dog is a dog and a child is a child. I do not have children but I do not consider dogs to be any sort of "replacement" and I certainly do not treat them like children. My dogs are my partners; we work as a team and I have very high expectations of them and they work very hard. To me my dogs are much more like a partner (in a police officer sort of way, not a spouse way) or a colleague than a child. They serve an entirely different purpose and hold a very different place in my heart than a child.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #902
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:01 PM
I find that most of the time when people say that, they mean it in the sense of "kiddies"--dogs as precious-wecious, lovey-dovey bundles of cuteness. I seldom if ever talk like that about anything, let alone dogs, but at the same time I'm not really bothered by it if someone inquires after my dog in that way; I tend to hear it as a personality thing on their part. But, my dogs have always been first and foremost family pets; even I would often call Falstaff "buddy," for example. Whereas you're definitely not someone I could easily imagine cooing "And how are the kids today, Lies?" at.

It's probably stereotyping, but if someone I know always refers to their dogs as "my babies" and the like, I tend to assume that if and when I meet their dogs, they'll turn out to be very badly behaved.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #903
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It's probably stereotyping, but if someone I know always refers to their dogs as "my babies" and the like, I tend to assume that if and when I meet their dogs, they'll turn out to be very badly behaved.
I'm the same! People are often amazed at how many dogs I dislike and I actually do not consider myself a "dog person" because most dogs - whether it's because of breed, bad behavior, or annoying owners - I give a wide berth and have no interest in. German shepherds are quite possibly the only breed I will ever consider owning with the exception of a pound mutt for the family pet (along that line, Coke is referred to as "our dog" and the GSDs are "my dogs" or "Lies' dogs").

Maybe I take it too personally or read too much into it but when people refer to my dogs as my children I think it is both presumptuous and disrespectful (toward my dogs). Also if and when I have children there will be no comparison.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #904
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My wife has always referred to herself as Kimo's "mommy." I bug her about it a little because it seems silly to me, but obviously there is a big distinction between how she views our son and our dog so I'm basically fine with it.

I thought Elijah might have an issue with it since he's very jealous of his mommy, but it turns out that since Barbara is referring to herself in the same way she always does at home, it hasn't occured to him that Kimo might be "competition."

Re: Kimo. Things are going well so far. We've had a few issues with her scratching to go out in the middle of the night but nothing too serious. I think she may have tapeworms though. I found several flat white worms in her feces today when I was walking her so we'll probably take her into the vet to have that checked out next week.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #905
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:01 AM
So wait...is it bad that I call Coke, our pet dog, "big boy"?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #906
Blue Crack Addict

Nope b/c he's big and he's male, and you don't call him "sonny...."
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #907
Forum Moderator

If this doesn't at least make you crack a smile then there's probably something wrong with you:

Baby Laughing at Dog Chasing Bubbles

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #908
Blue Crack Addict

It's going to be a long two weeks...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #909
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh no! poor thing! what happened?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #910
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
LOL! Sorry, I hope he's ok. The sock AND the cone? Poor baby.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #911
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yay! I was hoping to find an update. Glad it's going well

And if anyone still reads this thread.... what are thoughts on dogs as "kids"? Today someone asked me who is taking care of my "kids" (I'm in Florida) and I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow to that question. I responded saying my husband is taking care of my dogs and I don't have any kids. Do people really assume that someone who puts a lot of time and effort into training dogs and such really views dogs as they would their own child? Or would I be frowned upon for NOT viewing my dog as my child? I guess to me a dog is a dog and a child is a child. I do not have children but I do not consider dogs to be any sort of "replacement" and I certainly do not treat them like children. My dogs are my partners; we work as a team and I have very high expectations of them and they work very hard. To me my dogs are much more like a partner (in a police officer sort of way, not a spouse way) or a colleague than a child. They serve an entirely different purpose and hold a very different place in my heart than a child.
I refer to my dog as my baby, among other things. I've always used those terms with my animals. That being said, he's a dog and I treat him as a dog first and foremost. It's funny how some people think that you somehow love your dog less, or are even a cruel pet owner by saying you treat it like a dog. On the contrary, you have to honour the species that it is.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #912
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
oh no! poor thing! what happened?
He split the claw on his hind foot over three weeks ago. At first it was very painful and he was basically lame, so we had to "rest" from training and exercise and he took antibiotics and pain meds. I kept trimming the broken nail pieces back as they grew out because the pressure on the split nail was causing pain and irritation. Eventually it was short enough where there was no pressure on it so not as painful and he was free to train, but he chews on it when he's bored which makes it more infected and prevents healing (it's been raw and bleeding for three weeks now). We went back to the vet to see about amputating the claw because now the soft tissue that's normally inside a claw is swollen and deformed which could cause issues with a claw growing out normally, but the infection is now deep into the nail bed so the entire toe would have to be amputated. We are trying new medications (oral antibiotics and neo-predef healing powder that I poof into the claw, no more pain meds since I want the pain to help me/him know his limits) and the Cone Of Shame. Luckily he is allowed to do training and exercise with the cone off, but he has to wear a sock or dog boot and the cone any other times.

Click the spoiler if you want to see how it looked on Friday (I've cut more nail off since then).

Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #913
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

poor lad! i hope he gets better soon!

feet can be a nightmare to heal... one of my cats (who disappeared recently, sadly) lost a toe when he was a kitten - it was awful - he was right behind the front door and my husband was outside and opened the door really suddenly and his paw got caught under the door!! was just horrible! he had antibiotics (injection and tablets) but he pulled the dressing off as soon as we got home from the vets, was a nightmare trying to secure it properly - i didn't think about a little sock! that would've been perfect... he recovered quickly afterwards though...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #914
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:01 AM
This is my dog. I smudged out the phone number on his tag, so that's why it looks a little weird.

He's not always outside, but we have a pen for him so he can be out there when the weather is nice.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #915
ONE
love, blood, life

poor dummy

YouTube - ‪Very funny dog! Really determined too...[ORIGINAL]‬‏