For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 AM
I just spent a few days at my cousin's place. They have a cocker spaniel, 11 years old. He's very cute and fit but has such enormous alpha male problems that are made worse by the fact that the whole family thinks it's funny and cute.

For example, he growls anytime you get close to one of his toys. He has a habit of lying on top of his toy, holding it with his paws and then growls and barks if you try to take it. I think he actually wants you to wrestle him for it, which they think its great fun, but I'd never do with Samson, because the first thing I taught him was to release whatever he has in his mouth and give it to me. Anyway, the other day, the dog was holding one of his plush toys under his paw and I guess that I just walked past it too close so he thought my foot would grab it from him and he bit me! Drew blood from my two middle toes. I mean, it was UNBELIEVABLE! I felt uncomfortable so I didn't tell my cousin or aunt/uncle, I just cleaned myself up and put a band-aid on but maybe I should tell them. There is no way that should be okay.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #842
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I just spent a few days at my cousin's place. They have a cocker spaniel, 11 years old. He's very cute and fit but has such enormous alpha male problems that are made worse by the fact that the whole family thinks it's funny and cute.

For example, he growls anytime you get close to one of his toys. He has a habit of lying on top of his toy, holding it with his paws and then growls and barks if you try to take it. I think he actually wants you to wrestle him for it, which they think its great fun, but I'd never do with Samson, because the first thing I taught him was to release whatever he has in his mouth and give it to me. Anyway, the other day, the dog was holding one of his plush toys under his paw and I guess that I just walked past it too close so he thought my foot would grab it from him and he bit me! Drew blood from my two middle toes. I mean, it was UNBELIEVABLE! I felt uncomfortable so I didn't tell my cousin or aunt/uncle, I just cleaned myself up and put a band-aid on but maybe I should tell them. There is no way that should be okay.
IMO, you should DEFINITELY tell them. Maybe this will make them aware of his behavior issues. Little dose of reality. I would if it were me regardless if it's family or not this is NOT OKAY in my book..

I understand feeling uncomfortable but the fact that it drew blood sort of puts into a category of really bad behavior not to be let go. It would be hard for me to tell my family that but in the end for the safety of others and yourself this is something that needs to be discussed..

This dog needs some behavioral training of some kind, and 11 yrs old isn't too old.. All animals can be worked with granted its harder but can be done with a lot of patience..

Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted - I did a search and didn't find it.

YouTube - Dancing Merengue Dog
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #844
Blue Crack Addict

Martina I always had similar disputes with Phil's family about their cocker. He was not guardy when I knew him, but completely unsocialized (with people and other dogs), and he was just plain naughty. He begged constantly and would actually get up ON the dinner table to steal food! My dogs are not allowed to behave this way. If they do then I put them outside or in a crate while we have visitors. One time at my in-laws I was having ice cream and the cocker stuck his mouth right in my bowl! I grabbed his scruff and pulled him back, not even something that would hurt him but he screamed, because he was so used to behaving this way and getting away with it, they'd never even pushed him away before.

Not only this but they insisted he was too old to be trained. One day I got out my clicker and some little treats and I trained him two brand new tricks in ten minutes (taught him to lie down on command....which I'm still appalled he was never taught as a puppy, and taught him to push the Staple's "Easy" button). These are tricks I train 9 week old puppies, there's no reason an adult dog, especially with his obsession for food, cannot learn simple commands.

I just eventually gave up because it was clear they didn't want my advice and weren't going to take it anyway. The dog was also being fed the worst food possible and was tormented by chronic yeast infections that permanently damaged his hearing. I just felt so bad for him I let it be.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Happy Birthday to Gracie!! She turned 2 yrs old today!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #846
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Martina I always had similar disputes with Phil's family about their cocker. He was not guardy when I knew him, but completely unsocialized (with people and other dogs), and he was just plain naughty. He begged constantly and would actually get up ON the dinner table to steal food! My dogs are not allowed to behave this way. If they do then I put them outside or in a crate while we have visitors. One time at my in-laws I was having ice cream and the cocker stuck his mouth right in my bowl! I grabbed his scruff and pulled him back, not even something that would hurt him but he screamed, because he was so used to behaving this way and getting away with it, they'd never even pushed him away before.
Same exact thing with this dog.

One day my nephew was over for a visit and he's 15 months old and also happens to be the world's most beautiful child. But anyway, he's grown up with a dog since day one - they have a 4-year-old female Siberian Husky who is seriously one of the the calmest, most well trained dogs I've met. So it isn't as if the baby is afraid of dogs at all, but the cocker spaniel barked and growled the entire time because nobody was paying attention to him. On top of that, he grabbed the baby's bottle lid that had fallen on the floor, and growled at anyone who got near him to retrieve it. I sat there and watched my aunt and uncle laugh at how cute he was and how "poor baby feels neglected." I think these people are out to pasture.

I also once grabbed him by the scruff when he was actually sitting IN my suitcase and barking at me when I got within a foot of it. He wailed as if he were being slaughtered so I never did it again for fear of being accused of dog abuse.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #848
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #849
Blue Crack Addict

Oh Jennifer, why are you not on here sharing pictures of your new pupper? Uncle Nikon wants to see her!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #850
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Oh Jennifer, why are you not on here sharing pictures of your new pupper? Uncle Nikon wants to see her!

I'll get some up tomorrow!!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #851
has a

Local Time: 11:11 PM
I love Newfs. I miss mine.

Dog saves life, becomes 'Murphy, the miracle-maker' | Minneapolis and St. Paul | kare11.com
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #852
Blue Crack Distributor

Inside the science of how dogs think - CNN.com
Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting. Several comments in that article make no sense. They should work with some qualified dog trainers. Many already have the answers to the questions their research is asking....
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #854
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Vlad's new puppy:

Karakachan Shepherd - Wikipedia

Aaawwwwwww......

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #855
The Fly

Local Time: 10:41 AM
I adopted two stray dogs last year. I found then on the side of the highway. Their mother was crushed by a truck. They were just a weeks old at that time.

Now they are just over an year old and the female is pregnant. About 4 or 5 weeks ago, she stopped eating and a few more of her habits changed. Got back to normal a few days later, And I thought maybe she was just a little sick. But now the bump is quite noticeable.

I have absolutely no experience with pets. So, do I need to do something or does she know what she is doing ?