Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
LOL. Too bad it's for Pedigree

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #797
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Anyone have any experience with sebaceous cysts? Specifically, when do you know it is "empty"? I've read it will probably keep coming back, how often should I be checking it? The dog doesn't seem to know it's there, did not even stop what he was doing when we were emptying it out (which we only did b/c at first I thought the little scab was an engorged tick, and then once we pulled that off and realized there was no tick, the rest just came out easily).
I'm familiar with the human kind. I've had 3 in my life, and actually I have one right now.

You can't know by eye that it's empty, that's why usually when you either get it lanced or it empties on its own, you take antibiotics and that generally works so that it doesn't come back.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #798
Blue Crack Addict

I think I'll just leave it be then. It's very small and he doesn't seem to know it's there, it's just a little scab now. It seems like lancing it would just open up the risk for infection. What antibiotics do you take?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #799
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think I'll just leave it be then. It's very small and he doesn't seem to know it's there, it's just a little scab now. It seems like lancing it would just open up the risk for infection. What antibiotics do you take?
I take clarithromycin, because I'm allergic to penicillin but penicillin is the default antibiotic generally given for these.

Just monitor it to see if it's still weepy - I had one time where it would weep a little (when squeezed) every day for a few weeks, then it became obvious that I needed antibiotics. Cleared up with them right away.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #800
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds similar to what I get. I often get impetigo on my head (can't see it thank goodness!). It's about the size as what Nikon has, mine maybe a bit bigger, but the drainage is clear, Nikon's was nastier like a giant zit If mine doesn't dry up using hot compresses to drain it within two weeks I take cephlexine.

I'll watch his and if it starts to fill up again I can start him on abx and go to the vet. I'm hoping it stays like it is for a while, he has an important show in two weeks so I can't have his side shaved!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #801
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Sounds similar to what I get.
Yeah, my Dad carries staph and has had it many times (even inside his nostrils, talk about nasty), and I had it once. A sebaceous cyst is much thicker on the inside, it's full of keratin so the description of Nikon's makes total sense.

Hope it clears up for him soon, and good luck at the show!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #802
Blue Crack Addict

RIP Zamp (VA1 Zamp vom Thermodos SchH3 KKL1)

Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #803
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:08 PM
^
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #804
War Child

Local Time: 05:08 PM
What happened to Zamp??
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #805
Blue Crack Addict

No idea, but it's being reported everywhere that he died last week, no word on cause. Julie said to me a few weeks ago that she was worried about him because shortly after her litter, she didn't see any registered breedings to him which is rare considering his age and caliber, but maybe he just started shooting blanks. Sadly, not the case.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #806
War Child

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Poor Zamp.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #807
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 AM
DOGS

So today Billie was chasing a ball at the dog park and collided head first into a cocker spaniel. Scared the hell out of me, she was making noises I'd never heard any dog make before and was really worried she'd broken a leg on the landing. I'm pretty sure she was knocked out for a moment. Got up after a couple of minutes and quickly got back into chasing the ball and has since been acting fine, but has anyone had something similar with bad effects? Worth taking her to the vet just in case?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #808
Blue Crack Addict

I would just watch her closely and call the vet at any sign of dizziness, vomiting, pain, etc.

Last weekend, Nikon did something to himself. I don't remember him getting hurt but then as we were getting ready for bed we noticed he could barely walk and was not putting pressure on one leg. He didn't care when I stretched him all over so I kenneled him for the night. The next morning was training and he hopped out of the van and went to work like nothing happened.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #809
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Last weekend, Nikon did something to himself. I don't remember him getting hurt but then as we were getting ready for bed we noticed he could barely walk and was not putting pressure on one leg. He didn't care when I stretched him all over so I kenneled him for the night. The next morning was training and he hopped out of the van and went to work like nothing happened.
Maybe his leg fell asleep? This happens to Samson pretty often, since he was a puppy. For some reason, unlike every other dog that we've had who liked to shift positions a lot, he can sleep in the same one happily and then gets up and can't walk on whatever front leg he was lying on top of. It goes away pretty fast though.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #810
Blue Crack Addict

Who knows. He was limping badly for a few hours so I put him in a crate for the night. He probably pulled his shoulder. He's been injured a few times playing fetch (and gone to the vet for limping in the rear). I guess he slept it off. Yesterday he did the 1 meter jump and went over the wall at full height/steepness (1.8 meters).

I'm looking for a puppy to buy a year from now and my head is already spinning!