Local Time: 01:53 PM

Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #662
Blue Crack Addict

She's cuddled in my lap.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #663
Blue Crack Addict

Haha I took Nikon to the pet store first thing too! Bought like ten of everything already but had to show him off!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #664
Blue Crack Addict

We actually met the breeder in the parking lot. And yeah, we brought her in to show off.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

My parents are off in Europe and I'm house sitting for them until this Friday, and that includes dog sitting Samson. I haven't lived at home in a few years so I love spending time with him.

I'm feeding him exactly per their instructions in terms of the type and amount of food. And he behaves like he is starving. As soon as he hears me preparing the food, he's stalking me, and then he dives in like he's just spent 6 months in the Ethiopian famine. He is NOT like that when my parents are here. In fact, he leaves a bunch of the kibble usually, but now, he gobbles it all up. I am beginning to suspect that my Dad feeds him all through the day, with snacks here and there, because he seems so hungry all the time. And I don't give him that many treats either, but I think my Dad probably goes through them really fast.

So strange.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

You can give him some green beans. I know a lot of people use them as a filler or for dogs that need to lose weight. Not many calories, nothing much to upset the stomach, but makes the dog feel full. I'm about ready to do the same with Nikon. He eats like 6 cups of kibble a day (my other two get 2 each total) and still could chow on and on, and you can see he is not fat or even close to filling out since he's only 11 months 67lbs. However he's also more active than the other two combined, and I only feed him 1-2 cups at a time b/c I'm terrified of bloat since he is so active and his chest is dropping.

random pic from today, you can see he has a pretty nice tuck and lately you can see his ribs since he's out of coat
Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #667
Blue Crack Addict

I'll try that but I'm not sure he'll eat them. Maybe if I pour some olive oil over them he might change his mind.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #668
Blue Crack Addict

Picky eater? I think most people used the canned kind which to me always have more flavor, maybe they are a bit salted. You could probably just add some instant white rice as a filler too. When we're doing elminiation diets I use white rice and boiled ground beef. Bland as all hell but the dogs can't get enough of it.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #669
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Lies, watched a programme on our station last night about police dogs and there was this lovely German Shepherd, but it wasnt standard black and tan, more like greyish and something - would you know what I mean? possibly a VERY rare colour in them!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #670
Blue Crack Addict

It was probably a sable, it is actually the dominant color. My Kenya is a faded, patterned (meaning she has a "saddle" and "mask") red sable. There really is no true color distinction among sables (a sable is a sable regardless of how dark or whether it is more gray, black, or red), but they are often refered to by color. GSDs are either solid (black or white), bi-color (all black except the feet), sable, or the black and red/tan. There is no "rare" color/pattern and people who breed for certain colors or charge more for certain colors are considered unethical. In general you want the dog to have strong pigment, which means a very dark face, but it doesn't matter which pattern the dog has. There are a few dogs that have "liver" (bluish-gray) or "red" instead of black and this is a fault because the "leather" (the nose and the feet pads) must be black so these colors are disqualified and not bred. Some people consider them the "rare" colors but that is only because they are a fault so all the good breeders are not breedin them, making them appear more rare.

I'm assuming the one you saw was more like one of these?

Red sable

lighter red sable (like mine in the avatar and sig)

black sable

gray sable

The reason the police dogs are typically these colors are mainly because police use European working line dogs, and working line trainers and breeders care more about the dog's ability's than his color, so since sable is genetically dominant that's what they usually get. Also, a very dark sable dog with a good mask is very imposing, visually, and the vast majority of times the police K9 is called, he is only providing visual deterence which means he is barking and simply *looking* aggressive. It is rare that the dog has to actually engage in a chase and take-down. The black and red/tan that is common in show lines is viewed by the public more as the classic "pet" type dog. For example, which would you be more scared of in a back alley, Dodger or Ozzy Barnero?

This is the same reason the police don't use whites. For one, the working and narc people don't breed whites and for two they are just not as scary looking.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #671
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:53 PM
yeah think it was grey sable, only it appeared very much light more round the head like a red sable, but the guy on telly said grey!

beautiful!

thank you honey.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #672
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Picky eater? I think most people used the canned kind which to me always have more flavor, maybe they are a bit salted. You could probably just add some instant white rice as a filler too. When we're doing elminiation diets I use white rice and boiled ground beef. Bland as all hell but the dogs can't get enough of it.
No, he eats everything! Except green stuff like that. He'll eat any kind of fruit you give him, any meat, cheese, etc. But he draws the line at veggies aside from carrots which he looooves.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #673
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe boiled or plain carrots would work? I think I've heard of people using that too. My friend's dog gets carrots as his best treat, my dogs won't touch them.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #674
Blue Crack Addict

Samson would probably eat a pound of boiled carrots. He likes the fresh ones too, but only if you grate them over his kibble, for reasons that I'm sure only he can explain.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #675
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:53 PM

My goof: